Tiny bit more work - I blended the edges in better and added a white ink highlight.

45109661901_f4150178eb_b.jpg

43295801820_7c46dcb205_b.jpg

Needs a tiny bit of softening and thinning, otherwise it's done and onto the lamp.

Will

• Like 3

I finished up the non-shiny bits on the Guardian of Souls:

43309663030_4353841af9_b.jpg

I tried to paint the mystical flame with a purple wash over a white base, but it was a bit messy and I ended up painting over it. I'm still not a hundred percent convinced that it's smooth or vivid enough?

31249409228_724c438f6a_b.jpg

I used some of the GW glazes to add a red-blue gradient, which part I do rather like. I think for now I'll proceed and see what it looks like with the rest of it in place.

I also added basing stuff to the reapers:

31249411798_4596a5cc1b_b.jpg

And I've since given them all a few coats of matt varnish. I used the Tamiya flat lacquer, which isn't as flat as Alclad Flat but pretty good. Then I mixed a good amount of lacquer flat base into the varnish and gave a couple more misted coats, which got them closer to the Alclad finish. The lacquer should be a lot harder (and quicker drying) than the spirit based varnish and it allows a little more richness of colour to show through. I may still go back and add a little Alclad later on the cloth areas.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 6

I made a start on the metals last night - the easiest were the glaives on the stalkers as that's their only metal bit. Well, except for the fences that I forgot to paint...

30204197097_e6fe6f201e_b.jpg

These are a thin coat of Leadbelcher followed by lots of Agrax Earthshade. When that was dry I stippled on Typhus Corrosion (the one with bits in) and thinned Ryza Rust across the back part of the blade. I blotted it with a finger to soften the edges and  added an Agrax/Black mix to shade around it and blend things together a little. 

I re-applied highlights of Leadbelcher and a little Runefang Steel to the edges of the blade, but I think it might benefit from a wee bit more. And some gore obviously :)

The reapers have had similar treatment with less weathering on their mail and chains:

43328729160_fa95c97aa3_b.jpg

The bells (bronzey metal of some kind) are Tin Bitz with an Agrax wash and stippled/dry-brushed patches of Hashut Copper and Leadbelcher. I added some Nihilahk Oxide for a Verdigris patina and toned it down with black. I think it probably needs something else as well but I'm not sure what yet - maybe different green tones?

I haven't started the metal on the Guardian of Souls yet but it'll probably borrow from the above, with a bit more detail and beaten copper plate armour? I also need to do the weathering on the scythe blades and a few other bits and bobs.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 6

You’ve done some nice work, and the Nighthaunt are some of the most interesting Games Workshop models in a while. I am working my way through the Soul Wars box, even though I am a mediocre painter. The Knight of Shrouds is my favorite model; I mostly followed the GW tutorial on him. I have no creativity at all...561DB3F5-6D1E-4F6C-87FD-7E502C15DEF1_zps

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Asmodai said:

The Knight of Shrouds is my favorite model; I mostly followed the GW tutorial on him.

I think he looks ace, and as someone who often copies the studio schemes I think you can't go wrong that way! Their instructional stuff is very useful and much less annoying than many other mini painting videos I've seen.

I rather like the studio scheme for the Nighhaunt, the dark blue is really sexy. The only reason I'm doing the bilious green is that way they match some spirit hosts I painted a few years ago.

Did you use the new technical paints/washes? If so, how did you get on with them? I'm not a massive fan of Hexwraith Flame but I like the look of the grey-blue shading from the other one.

Cheers,

Will

6 hours ago, Will Vale said:

I think he looks ace, and as someone who often copies the studio schemes I think you can't go wrong that way! Their instructional stuff is very useful and much less annoying than many other mini painting videos I've seen.

I rather like the studio scheme for the Nighhaunt, the dark blue is really sexy. The only reason I'm doing the bilious green is that way they match some spirit hosts I painted a few years ago.

Did you use the new technical paints/washes? If so, how did you get on with them? I'm not a massive fan of Hexwraith Flame but I like the look of the grey-blue shading from the other one.

Cheers,

Will

I did indeed decide to use the new Technical paint Hexwraith Flame on these guys. I have about half of the Nighthaunt side of the box done. After using, I do wish I had either toned it down more, or gone with something more subtle. The idea of the glowing green sounds cooler in theory than the resulting models. But I kind of need to finish the army this way now. If I were to start again, I might have chosen to make a mixture with GW Nihilakh Oxide paint instead. It would be less garish than the Hexwraith Flame. 

Ironically, I did not use the other new Technical paint, the blue Nighthaunt Gloom. I used Incubi Darkness dark blue base on the cowls of the infantry models and the ‘flesh’ of the Knight’s steed. For some reason, the Knight’s background story of being a bitter sellout, trading his soul to get something he could not in life, appeals to me. 

• Like 2

The Incubi Darkness looks good, it's a lovely colour.

I did a bit more on the metals last night, painting up the scythe blades and adding a bit more of a metallic gradient to the glaives:

45115788752_fa1912be1a_b.jpg

I added a blue glaze to the cleaner part of the blade but it isn't really reading in this photo at all. I'm sure I could see it last night :) Maybe need to strengthen that, or figure out a way to light it so it shows in pictures.

Digging through my paints I realised I hadn't used Hashut Copper (nice bright copper) on the bells so I sponged on a bit of that. It needs some precision washes to tone it back down on the big one though:

30226174207_daee8722a6_b.jpg

I also painted most of the metallic areas on the Guardian of Souls, who looks a bit cartoonish and unsatisfying suddenly :(

45115795202_208b37f420_b.jpg

His faceplate and crown are very much a work in progress so I'm hoping that if I get those sorted out, add weathering and glows to the lantern, and bring in some darker colours on his ectoplasm it might help things.

Today's job is to lay out a board to put them on though.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 8

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been madly trying to make a display board in five days, and I keep losing time to other things that aren't making a display board.

Day one went really well, I went from a layout on paper to an assembled board in about four hours thanks to the miracle of hot glue.

45126346382_681332daae_b.jpg

Day two was mostly work, but I did some filling and carving in the evening and it looked decent enough by Wednesday morning:

31337146948_d541bd874a_b.jpg

Day three was cleaning up and priming the buildings which I'd done about half of a couple of years ago. I also made trees from wire and Super Sculpey for the rough form, with a layer of a gesso/PVA/paint/talc mix to add a bit more body in places and take some bark texture.

45241329241_8cb3a9e141_b.jpg

And today I've been painting the buildings which I had clearly been putting off because I knew just how many skulls and roses there were. After painting them I can confirm it was a lot. Although blocking in all the wrought iron was probably worse!

44519443914_d82eed4c7b_b.jpg

My assistant is working on her Tau in the background, she's painted a small unit of Kroot plus a battlesuit and a couple of Pathfinders to add to her existing single Pathfinder, and is looking forward to Parade Day.

I should go and sort out the river and rocks so I can green it all up tomorrow.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5

I read through your Tyranid diorama thread last weekend, and it was awesome.

Delighted to be reading through the forum and discover you starting on another one.  Great stuff.

I really just made an account here to compliment you, so there you go :)

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:22 PM, AndyRM101 said:

The base is looking great Will. I take it you're not going to be using the observatory now?

Also, apropos of nothing, I've got the same kitchen utensil holder as you.

No I didn't think I could finish that in time, so it's going to be a separate project where it can get the attention it deserves.

The kitchen thing is indeed IKEA, and haven't I commented on a picture of yours with it in, or was that someone else?

13 hours ago, Trig said:

I read through your Tyranid diorama thread last weekend, and it was awesome.

Delighted to be reading through the forum and discover you starting on another one.  Great stuff.

Wow thanks, I'm honoured! I hope you stick around, this is a cool forum.

Also you may be disappointed in that I'm basically done - Armies on Parade is tomorrow so I had to finish it off tonight.

45265919751_959386a7a7_b.jpg

It needs a good clean in the morning, there's lots of loose material to remove and I'll have to clean the water surface again.

Unfortunately I broke (somehow) one of the tree limbs to the point that you could see the wire :( I've wrapped it in Tamiya tape and applied some tinted filler over the top as a patch. More seriously I bloomed the varnish while wetting the scatter, so I'll need to re-varnish it tomorrow. It's not super obvious but once you know what to look for it's everywhere on the plastic scenery :(

I suspect it's the moisture as I used a water/alcohol mix rather than neat alcohol. Grr. Off to bed now, early start tomorrow to fix things.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Will Vale said:

Wow thanks, I'm honoured! I hope you stick around, this is a cool forum.

Also you may be disappointed in that I'm basically done - Armies on Parade is tomorrow so I had to finish it off tonight.

Nah, if your finished it just means your probably gonna start something else, so no big deal, ill watch that one :P

Looks great. 

Ive only done wooden ship models so far, but ive been needing a break from my current one. So thanks  to you (or no thanks maybe!) , ive went and bought some Imperial guard and Tyranid models to paint up. I fancy trying a dioarama build with them in it, not sure what yet, but its interesting to see how its all done, so ill definitely be sticking around.

Good luck with your parade

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Will Vale said:

The kitchen thing is indeed IKEA, and haven't I commented on a picture of yours with it in, or was that someone else?

Must have been someone else. I indeed have one which I use for brushes etc., but I do not think it shows in any picture I have posted here.

Great, and speedy, work on the the base! Best of luck with the Parade.

Thanks, we had a good time. My daughter and I both won certificates but missed out on medals, stiff competition this year!

Here's my entry on the day:

45253667622_debe4a9eb8_b.jpg

and Laura with hers - OK not a lot but it's 700% more models than she painted last year, and she was the only junior brave enough to enter :)

44419511275_fe19630992_b.jpg

44609622224_632ce83ba4_b.jpg

After recovering from the knackering week last week, I'm back at work this week (yay!) but managed to get a few pics of the board as it was on the day. I'm going to do a bit more work and finish some things which didn't quite get done in time - mainly adding more graves, cleaning up the vegetation and maybe doing some new foliage for the big tree?

44419583435_33d768ff70_b.jpg

45283018362_3041cbe16f_b.jpg

The overall winner at GW Wellington was this huge collection of Eldar and Space Wolves which was one of those fun "each time you look you see something new" kind of deals.

44419498865_01dcd34b7e_b.jpg

Cheers!

Will

• Like 5

I finished up the two units of ghosts and added them to RFI here:

30541053747_8867ce7963_b.jpg

Note to self: Finished *off* not finished *up*. I seem to be turning into some sort of American...

Will

• Like 6