Ansaldo ISVA WWI Italian Floatplane 1/72

Greetings,  

Never published anything about modelling before so here goes:

Thought I'd share my Ansaldo ISVA in 1/72, mainly cos I'm not aware of such a kit new or old......... 

Recently completed this started out as a Pegasus SVA, with pretty much only the wings and fuselage used.  Tail surfaces are plasticard.  The floats, hydroplanes, struts and launching dolly parts were all scratch modelled and replicated in polyurethane.   Prop, seat and other small parts cloned in polyurethane from various Roden kits etc.

thumbnail10

thumbnail8

thumbnail9

• Like 29

Absolutely stunning. Exceptionally fine work. 

Thanks for the compliments, your all too kind.  At a wingspan of under 5 inches, these big pics show up the imperfections far too much!!

The camouflage is a brown and green tight mottle over raw linen (or silk believe it or not) and is reasonably accurate in appearance and scale.  From experience I couldn't do this with an airbrush, and took at least three hours with a small brush....then touched up as it's done free-hand.  Over time you're spacing wants to shift (like handwriting), so a lot of discipline was required.  The timber is all done by the standard artist's oils with a drying medium over sand coloured undercoat method. 

On 7/11/2018 at 9:25 PM, teleblaster said:

Recently completed this started out as a Pegasus SVA, with pretty much only the wings and fuselage used.

I have one of those in the stash and understand where you are coming from! Superb build of an unusual and challenging subject.

Cheers

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

The really hard thing about seaplanes.............is putting the floats on and getting them in the right place! 

Jigging them is MUCH more difficult than putting on an upper wing.  I built a Roden Albatros W4 and even though those floats had jointing members controlling the width, the air went blue a lot.  (Incidentally the rigging on the W4 was a nightmare too, breaking one cable for every six I put on till it was done).

I had to build the float strutting here piecemeal obviously, and CA'd them in place with a just a breath of adhesive.  Then broke them away as complete front and rear units, took moulds for posterity, then refitted them permanently.  Once I had the two 'W' struts as complete sections they were much easier to reassemble, and they self-jig the separation of the floats.  I've always thought that many hours of crafting unique parts is all part of modelling (if it wasn't I might as well be 12 again, just gluing them together), but It's good to be able to just cast replica parts.  Hence I can kit everything from the nether-regions down!!!