Ford Mustang 1964 1/2 Convertible 1/16 from the Coupe AMT kit: the Indy 500 Pace Car

Hello to all,

this new session of yesterday leads me, before beginning the deflector build, to bring necessary improvements to my windshield, that I considered OK wrongly in the post# 1088.

I began to thin the upper post, that is imho much better now.

Let's now focus again on this f... outer upper angle, to conclude that, here too, it is possible to improve quite a lot this area:

spacer.png

Another interesting point and something more to improve on my windshield:

spacer.png

And the same on the angle "vertical" arm/ lower post:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was not exaggerating saying that this windshield is complex (it promises for the deflectors...).

The result of these improvements very soon...

Cheers, TMO

• Sad 1

I have done many corrections relying on the pics above (I will post the update when all is OK). 
For the outer upper angle right side, I do another pic and use the flip mode for the same merciless comparison:

spacer.png

More as soon as possible...

• Like 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

For the corrections regarding the angle vertical arm/ upper post area, I relied mainly on the pic below (here after use of the flip mode for corrections on the right side):

spacer.png 

Of course, I simplify (one more time, notice how complex is this area), but I try anyway to get something acceptable without pretending to be perfectly faithful...

About the sun visor, in fact, unlike the photo suggests, it is too long (it goes beyond the middle of the upper post), I don't know why as I used the precise measure we made with Bernard. I will have to shorten it (about 3-4 mm).

Edit a bit later:

spacer.png

Thanks for watching...

• Like 1

The 1st version of my deflectors, made from plastic sheet, could be helpful but I think I can do better, especially to represent the slight curvature, using a quite soft metal such the one below:

spacer.png

spacer.png

N.B:

- this reference (A.A 0,16 mm thickness Alu sheet) seems to be new, as I don't find it in my though quite recent A.A catalog.

- I also have some Alu sheets in 0,3 mm (don't remember what brand) and a tin coated steel sheet in 0,2 mm from K&S (ordered recently on Oupsmodel, thinking I would get tin sheets) that could be useful too... 

• Like 1

Up to now, my intention was to build first the deflectors, then assemble them on the windshield and then add the complementary elements of the latter (sun visor, rear view mirror).

I change my mind and will first finish the windshield with these elements before building the deflectors and assemble them on the windshield.

Only the wipers will be added later...

So, I have to build the sun visor support, that is also the rear view mirror one. I've got happily some pics and measures for this job (thanks to Mr Labalette):

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

AMT provides a Chrome part for this set support/ rear view mirror. Let's take a look:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

What an incredible amount of correctional work. Not only will your Mustang most probably easily surpass the quality of any specimen built from this kit, I reckon it’s going to be one of the best 1/24 Mustangs around overall.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roy vd M. said:

What an incredible amount of correctional work. Not only will your Mustang most probably easily surpass the quality of any specimen built from this kit, I reckon it’s going to be one of the best 1/24 Mustangs around overall.

Thanks a lot Roy for your kind words! I just recall that it is a 1/16 scale build...

Cheers, Olivier

My set support/ rear view mirror will be fragile, it will be Chrome painted separately, before its assembly in the windshield, and this assembly (with the sun visor, fragile too) should be done as late as possible, after the deflectors one.

A little update:

spacer.png

Cheers, thanks for watching, TMO

• Like 2

Now it is time for me to come-back on the deflectors build.

As the glass is taken in sandwich between the inside and outside sheets, I think it is logical to begin with this clear portion.

I recall (see the last post of the previous page*) that this glass should be about 0,38 mm if I want it to be approximately the right thickness.

I could use an anti-Covid face shield that I got recently and that I won't use for my dental practice, as it doesn't fit with my pro magnifying glasses. The advantage of this option is the great transparency of this clear sheet.

But it is only 0,17 mm thickness. I could try to overlay 2 layers, what would give about 0,35 mm, close from the 0,38 mm required. More, even if the clear glass on the real car is nearly flat, a slight curvature will be easy to get with such an option:

spacer.png 

* if someone can tell me where to find now the number of the posts (Fnick?), it would be great...

Hello chaps,

I began the outside portion of my left deflector:

spacer.png

The doc on which I rely for this very difficult job is the one below:

spacer.png

Having to build a so complex element in 3D requires to consider it under another view angle. In this regard, the below 3/4 rear view will be very useful:

spacer.png

I think it will be better to first build the arms 4 (and 4', a bit more external but in fact the same piece imho), before representing the rubber joint 3.

What material should I use to build this complex arm 4/ 4'? Metal? It was ever uneasy to get the simple flat shape above, I don't feel capable to represent it so, or in a pinch with a soft metal such tin.

What other option should I use? Brown Stuff? 

Anyway, if I want to build them directly on the deflector (maybe it would be better to build it separately and then stick it on the ever built base), I first have to apply a mask on the clear wall (the glass), whose protection had been removed to stick the arms 2...

As you can see, all that is far from being simple.

Would a lathe have been helpful for this step?

What is sure is that working the metal (even thin) in order to avoid if possible a painting job on these deflectors arms and to get a slight curvature is far from being easy with what I have at my disposal...

Cheers, O

• Like 3

spacer.png

I needed time to think about the best strategy to go on with this deflector.

I decided to use 0,5 mm tin sheet to represent the outside arm 4/ 4'.

As I don't have tin sheet in this thickness, I just ordered the ref. SM4M from A.A on Passion 132. 

The arm should be drawn and cut separately, then assembled on the ever built base above.

Talking about tin plated sheets, if any of you knows a supplier having in its catalog tin sheets in different thickness, please let me know. 

I was happy to see that A.A offered in its range tin sheets in 0,5 mm, but other thicknesses may also be useful (from 0,1 to 0,7 mm) while A.A has only 0,5 mm (that's something).

Thanks in advance, Olivier

• Like 1

Hello to all,

I made a mistake talking about the 4' layer (I thought this element was in continuation with the arm 4).

The pics below shows that there are 2 different arms:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I must say that this is, paradoxically, rather a good new for me, because it means a more simple build...

I will be far from my bench for a few days, I will take advantage to go on thinking and studying pics.

Cheers, O

N.B:

- I did not edit the previous posts to show that the path to truth is full of traps.

- I was waiting for the 0,5 mm tin sheet to build the arms 4 and 4'. This new discover changes a bit the situation, as there are 2 arms and there is a big step (rather 0,7 mm imho) between the arms 5 and 2.

I would finally need an about 0,4 mm tin sheet for the arm 4 and an about 0,7 mm one for the arm 5.

As I said above, I regret that it is so difficult to find tin foil sheets.

I see that no one could give me - up to now anyway - a hand in finding such products, pity...

I have at my disposal a few tin sheets in 0,1, 0,3 and 0,7 mm, and a bigger amount of 0,2 mm.

• Like 1

As I couldn't go on with my deflector build waiting for the 0,5 mm AA tin sheets, I began to work on the wipers:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Notice that some measures may vary a bit. Fe, a thin arm, estimated to 9,34 mm lenght on a pic, is estimated to 10,6 mm on another one. When it is so, I will do a compromise...

Of course, the pic below shows just the beginning of the wipers build, that will be another challenge...

spacer.png

Cheers, O

• Like 1

More and more detail corrections, this will be in the end more accurate than Fords original 1:1.

Don't know of the thickness but I have heard of pie dish foil being used for some detail work on models/replicas

Stay safe           Roger

• Thanks 1