Ford Mustang 1964 1/2 Convertible 1/16 from the Coupe AMT kit: the Indy 500 Pace Car

5 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

With the frequent neck pains, that's a lot for one man. A standard exchange of my whole  back would be a good thing, definitely!

Probably job related, Olivier? You must constantly be working in positions which are not very comfortable for your back and neck (hopefully your patients are more comfortable 😉)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Probably job related, Olivier? You must constantly be working in positions which are not very comfortable for your back and neck (hopefully your patients are more comfortable 😉)

That's right Jeroen, and our hobby is not particularly better for our backs. I try to work out a bit to compensate...

8 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

I suffer the same afflictions, dear Olivier. So, I really DO feel your pain. 

I think we are quite a lot in this case, Harvey. About the NHS, I know it is not a reference in term of medical care system, but the french one is not so much better ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Olivier, how are things with both yourself and the build? It's awfully quiet from the Côte d'Azur.

Dear Jeroens,

I apologize for my build turning very quiet and I thank you very much, it is good to read that I miss you a bit.

I have been very busy these last weeks and I must admit that I have lost a bit of motivation (the challenge is so high with every step). I suppose it is normal to need a break from time to time.

But be sure I will be soon back again at my workbench.

In this fall of motivation, the disappointment with my 3D resin printer, unable to print correctly the air deflector, is an element.

But I am actually studying to choose my next car (that should be an electric one...) and this takes me the few free time I have (as in model making, I am unable to go fast 😉).

All the best

Olivier

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

admit that I have lost a bit of motivation (the challenge is so high with every step)

I think we all suffer a bit of "burn-out" from time to time, my friend....... It's time to re-charge the batteries...:D

Cheers, H

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/04/2020 at 22:02, Hamden said:

Is there any progress with this outstanding project?

Thank you Roger for the kind words. I apologize, but the answer is no, for now.

I needed a break with this project, because it began to turn a bit discouraging.

I needed to come-back to a bit less ambitious one.

I decided to build (without sharing this build on Brit) a little and beautiful WWI aircraft, the Nieuport 11.

But, despite that I liked this model once finished, I thought that I could improve it, and I decided to build a 2nd version, more faithful while keeping the "artistic" effects of the first one.

And I decided too to share this 2nd build on Brit.

It is going on, and you can, if you like, follow it here:

I should come-back to the Mustang once this 2nd build will be over, as it would be a pity to leave it like that. 

I will need courage and faith, and will have to make compromises, what is not necessary easy in my will of faithfulness.

All the best,    Olivier

• Like 4

Thanks for taking the time to reply Olivier, I will look forward to seeing your Mustang continue when the time is right for you.

Stay safe    Roger

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello to all,

On March 26, 2019, so 14 months ago, I made my last update for this challenging build.

Several reasons led me to interrupt it then:

- the purchase of a new car, the Tesla Model 3, meaning a lot of time to spend before the purchase (decision not easy to buy a full electric car) and after it, to find out and understand all possibilities of this "geek" car

- the purchase of VTT e-bikes, with which we made, with my wife, a lot of great tours in the Massif de l'Esterel, that is 500 m from our house (we just made this morning a 2h20 tour (38 kms) with difficult areas

- my neck pains, that are much better now, as I found out that heat could help me a lot (I spend about 12 h/ 24 with a neck warmer using batteries that is really great for my cervical spondylosis) to reduce very significantly my consumption of anti-inflammatory drugs

- I was a bit discouraged with the 3D approach, both because I needed help to model on Fusion 360 complicated parts (and Michael from the St Raphael Crealab was very busy with other people needing help) and because I didn't succeed to get good results with my 3D printer for complicated parts such the air deflectors.

So, for a while, I totally stopped all model making.

And then, I decided to build a "simple" model, the WWI airplane Eduard Nieuport 11 at 1/48, that I had in my mind for a moment and for which I could follow as a recipe the Juan Manuel Villalba hints in the "Guide du maquettisme aéronautique". I decided that I would not create a topic in Brit for this build, as nearly all ideas were JMV's ones. I began this build at the beginning of november and finished it end of february. In this period, the only contacts with another modeler were with Juan, through e-mail conversations.

At the end of this build, what to decide? I was very motivated to build an improved version of the Nieuport, more personal even if still using some of JMV ideas and trying to use the few docs available at the maximum to get a more faithful version. I would also improve many aspects, like the rigging, that were not really satisfying on the first build, because of lack of experience. And I also decided to create a new topic on Brit for this build. 

This whole WIP thread can be seen here:

While, if you just want to see the result, it is shown there:

This build now over, I want to come-back on the Mustang project. For now, I am reading again this ever long thread, to immerse myself in this build. But within less than 10 days, I should come-back to my workbench again, with probably more compromises (having a lot of infos thanks to Bernard led me to excessive perfectionism that could also explain the loss of motivation) and less 3D made parts (I can't spend too much time with that, and this hi-tech approach is not the kind of model making I prefer).

So, see you soon for the continuation (and I hope the end) of this Mustang saga

All the best

Olivier

• Like 4

Yaaay! Welcome back Olivier 🙂 

I hope that with this new mindset you'll be able to continue with this beautiful build!

Btw, hope you don't mind me asking: is there a reason you insert the links to your builds from Google? You can also just copy the URL from the BM topic's address bar and get a nice looking link for free when you paste it!

• Thanks 1

Great to see you coming back to this project. I understand the need to take a break and get the motivation back. Oh and I googled Massif de l'Esterel, if I lived there it would be difficult to stay indoors working on models. :D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JeroenS said:

is there a reason you insert the links to your builds from Google? You can also just copy the URL from the BM topic's address bar and get a nice looking link for free when you paste it!

My dear Jeroen,

no other reason than my ignorance! 😉 (like for the current builds).

I will try to follow your hint from now...

• Haha 1

Good to see you back, my friend.

I'm pleased to read of your neck relief. Pain can be very tiring and a sure mojo-killer.

As for 3D printing...

3 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

hi-tech approach is not the kind of model making I prefer).

I fully agree.

Looking forward to your continuation in "back to scratch" mode.:D

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JeroenS said:

You can also just copy the URL from the BM topic's address bar and get a nice looking link for free when you paste it!

Thanks a lot Jeroen much easier and nicer, indeed! Now you understand that I needed time to be familiar with the Model 3, and that I probably will never be familiar with Fusion 360... 😂

Cheers, Olivier

P.S: Glad to see you back soon too, CC, Harvey, dbostream, Hamden and many others... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello Olivier!

So pleased to see you back on this site.

Already thought we lost you...but fortunally I was wrong. So I'm looking forward about the things you will do.

Take care and stay healthy

Marco F

• Thanks 1

Waaoh! I began to read this ever heavy thread, and also to check my portions of build ever made, and also to consider what is still to do, and the conclusion is that... I would definitely need another 2 months containment! (or better, an early retirement!!) what is not exactly my program for the next months...

A very strong will will be necessary to plunge back in this tricky and huge project...

Yes, I admit I am a bit scared by the challenge, but in the same time, when I see the work done on the wheels, the  doors, the engine, the hood, the floor, the antennas, I CAN'T LEAVE THAT ABANDONED!

I apologize in advance for the very slow progress that it will necessary be...

But I begin to get back into the swing, and a sign is that, yesterday, as I had ever thrown in the bin the rubber joint below (come from I don't know where), I thought it could be useful to represent the rubber portion of the windscreen wipers and I have been digging in the trash to get it back! 

This rubber portion should be about 23 mm and this joint allows to cut such a lenght, the width being very narrow:

spacer.png

All the best to all

Olivier

P.S: Ssh! I promised my wife (who doesn't hurry at all me to come-back to my workbench, the least I can say) to take a 10 or 15 days break...  😉

• Haha 3

Welcome back, dear Olivier! I´m also one of these fellows, who were forced to stop modelling for a while . As you can see, I´m not longer living in Germany and moved to Hungary. We bought a house not far away from the lake Balaton  and the renovation works need my full attention. My 806 is still in one of the numerous boxes and the loft is not yet finished, where I will do my modelling works.

I´m glad that Harvey continues with our 806 project and I´m sure he´s on a very good way.  Minden jót !  Hannes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1