Ford Mustang 1964 1/2 Convertible 1/16 from the Coupe AMT kit: the Indy 500 Pace Car

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

Time will tell if this statement is correct, once the box is open

The box is ever open, dear Roger, and I began the engine assembly and painting. What a pleasure to build a quality kit such this one, with neat parts, precise instructions and clever conception! 

3 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

My friend just found this series of videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=667QYD14m9w&list=PLNjRqq0vze_BOr0pVnQDJIM9hd7XGIQ1Z

and this detail set https://tamiyablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/DSCF1770.jpg

and I am he is confident you will understand and acknowledge that we will need some kind of proof, you are doing it OOB.

Thanks a lot to your friend, Jochen 😉! I knew the Tamiya detail set but could not order it up to now because it was out of stock on Passion 132 (no emergency anyway), but I ignored this video (in french, in addition!), that should be interesting for me. On the other hand, I have ordered the number 141 of the Tamiya Model Magazine (french ed.) in which this build kit is showed...

I will probably order the detail set, but this is not to consider as a partial scratchbuild, just a way to get a little better final result.

Ok, I don't resist to show you a first little step:

spacer.png

Cheers, O

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

I wish to all of you, and all the Britmodeller community, a happy new year!

Same to you Olivier!

Now that is a strange looking Mustang engine... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Now that is a strange looking Mustang engine... 

Dear Jeroen,

I admit I hesitated to post once more pics of my Honda Repsol engine. Let's consider that as a winkle to my next build. You know me, I could not resist to show my work on this engine... About this Tamiya kit, I don't regret to have chosen it as my next build. I think I will have a lot of fun with the latter.

But be sure my main goal remains the Mustang project. I have experienced that I had to be more patient with lacquer paints, having to wait long days (even using the dehydrator) before considering the setting was total. I hope I will be able to show very soon pics of the whole body with a nice shine and no big defect...

Cheers, O

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Dear Jeroen,

I admit I hesitated to post once more pics of my Honda Repsol engine. Let's consider that as a winkle to my next build. You know me, I could not resist to show my work on this engine...

But be sure my main goal remains the Mustang project. I have experienced that I had to be more patient with lacquer paints, having to wait long days (even using the dehydrator) before considering the setting was total. I hope I will be able to show very soon pics of the whole body with a nice shine and no big defect...

Cheers, O

Hi Olivier, I don't mind the off-topic posts at all, don't worry 🙂 

I'll be looking out for that Mustang body, and I'm hoping you can finally put that one to bed!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Dear Jeroen,

I admit I hesitated to post once more pics of my Honda Repsol engine. Let's consider that as a winkle to my next build. You know me, I could not resist to show my work on this engine... About this Tamiya kit, I don't regret to have chosen it as my next build. I think I will have a lot of fun with the latter.

Cheers, O

Happy new year, Olivier.

I think you could open a new thread for your Honda, don't you ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

I think you could open a new thread for your Honda, don't you ?

Thanks Thierry and happy new year too!

What you say sounds logic, for sure.

If I didn't up to now, it is because it means spending more time (this precious time...) while I above all want to go on with the Mustang.

But OK, I will...

Cheers, O

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

I wish to all of you, and all the Britmodeller community, a happy new year!

Thank you and same to you, Olivier

Nice strt on the Honda. 

• Thanks 1

On 29/12/2021 at 13:01, Jochen Barett said:

May we remind you of this sentence now or then in the future in the Honda's build-thread? (I'm asking for a friend)

Ok, Jochen, it is difficult to admit it but your friend was quite right. I could not stand building this awesome motorbike OOB. The videos on YT and the many details set got the better of me, and I bought several ones (see the Honda thread), meaning that, if we can't really talk of scratchbuild, it won't be a OOB...

Your friend seems to know me better than I do myself! 😉😄

Cheers, O

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my friends,

Why did I leave this build to begin a new one?

Just because I wanted to be sure I'd wait enough the setting while I still had problems with the surface, no more on the left front wing this time, but on the right side of the air inlet:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers, O

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 17/01/2022 at 19:36, Pouln said:

Hope you will see the end to that asap.

Hope so too, Poul. For now, as you can see, it is not yet the case. I assure you that this area was totally smooth before applying a new coat.

But little by little, during the setting, the smooth surface turns like this:

spacer.png

The encouraging aspect is that, finally, on the left front wing, the result is (finally!) fine now:

spacer.png

Cheers, O

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Glad to see you've overcome the paint problems on the wing but sorry it seems to have moved to the scuttle panel, I'm sure that you will soon have the finish you want though

Stay safe          Roger

• Thanks 1

After reading of the paint disaster, I went over to the "refreshment station" and had a drink and as You are French I forgo the beer and switch to the vin to "pour aider une amie" .

spacer.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello my friends,

Sorry if this build can't go on, I am still struggling with my paint problems.

I maybe found an explanation of these problems in the Tamiya Honda Repsol instruction sheet:

spacer.png

Up to now, I tended to incriminate the AMT plastic, but I was certainly wrong.

Now, what precisely the Tamiya warning means?

What should we consider as "lacquer paint"?

Are the putties such Mr Surfacer, Surface Primers etc., as "lacquer paints", considering that they are to thin (sometimes) and clean with cellulosic thinner?

Definitely, this would explain that my coats of paint are damaged when I apply a coat of Surface Primer over a coat of acrylic...

Now when you use an acrylic paint thinned with an organic solvent thinner such the Mr Color LT, does it turn the paint in a "lacquer paint"? I don't think so, but it will be to confirm.

We modelers would need to know more about these compatibility problems that are chemistry related...

Any contribution to this comment will be welcome...

Cheers, O

I don't understand the chemistry involved when mixing paint types on the same surface but I do recall hearing that you should not put enamel on top of acrylic as there would most likely be a reaction but acrylic on top of enamel would be fine. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of this will come through and explain this properly.

Hope you manage to sort the paint problems soon

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot Roger for your constant support.

I am rather sure now the problem comes from that. 

I will never apply again a coat of any "Surfacer" over a coat of paint, considering the Surfacer as a Lacquer paint.

Such products will be applied only on bare plastic.

I am not very proud of myself for taking so long to figure out where the problem came from.

From this point of view, it was a good idea to begin the Honda build, as it is the Tamiya instructions that tipped me off!

A new lesson of humility, definitely, I go on learning...

Hopefully, I should be able to go on soon with this build.

spacer.png

Cheers, O

• Like 4

Live and learn, Olivier. There are so many types of products, sometimes it's hard to predict what the effect will be when putting one on top of the other. New rule: always put anything with "surface" in the description on bare plastic only 🙂 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

That's precisely what I just did, dear Jeroen!

I hope this will be the end of your paint troubles and we can see this magnificent build progressing to the end!

• Thanks 1