Ford Mustang 1964 1/2 Convertible 1/16 from the Coupe AMT kit: the Indy 500 Pace Car

Hello TonyW and welcome in the thread!

I took a look at your link, and found with surprise these Firestone (a little too big for my Pace Car) and Gold line (a bit too thick for my Pace car too) decals, that I didn't know.

I saw that 1/16 decals were available too, while this scale is not frequent.

These decals could be an interesting option for a modeler who would like to build the Pace Car without overdoing it as I do...

And now a little update, with my White strip in place (it took me at least 10 mn to apply it correctly):

spacer.png

Was it worth it? Definitely yes, imho: the White strip, as well as the Gold line and the inscription, have correct dimensions, quite similar to what they were on the Pace Car. I improved my skills on this challenging step, especially with the clever Urshimato's idea to use the decal as a mask.

More soon...

Edit a bit later: with hindsight, I find that the White of the strip does not cover enough. I should have at least applied a coat of White on the White custom decal... On this first strip ever in place, I tried to apply a coat of Vallejo 842 Gloss White. The result is ever much better but still not perfect:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was a bit optimistic thinking all sidewalls would be ready tonight. As usual, things are a bit more complicated and I have to be patient if I want to get a fine result (and that's what I want!!!)

Cheers, O

• Like 6

Hi Olivier,

Have you thought about airbrushing something like white surface primer on the decal before removing it?

Use a compass cutter, wet the decal, remove excess white portions with tweezers and slide ring off paper on to tire.

Has the benefit of reducing layers of decal film on the tire and should give the correct matte finish if done as the last step.

1 minute ago, Lvp said:

Hi Olivier,

Have you thought about airbrushing something like white surface primer on the decal before removing it?

Use a compass cutter, wet the decal, remove excess white portions with tweezers and slide ring off paper on to tire.

Has the benefit of reducing layers of decal film on the tire and should give the correct matte finish if done as the last step.

Sorry, didn't see your update before posting.

Good minds think alike😁

• Haha 1

Hello chaps,

Very bad personal news have plunged my family in a real nightmare Sunday night.

I will go on this thread as soon as possible but for now, I don’t have the heart (and the time) for that.

Cheers, Olivier

• Sad 2

My dear friends,

In the evening of Sunday 26 september, a dramatic accident occurred that caused my brother’s cardio respiratory arrest. I can’t tell here the stupid and tragic conditions of this accident, but pity, after several days, waiting, hoping for his  revival (he was plunged twice in an artificial coma), going several times to Avignon to support his children, his wife, he finally left us.

My brother was a medical officer in charge of cardiology in the hospital of Avignon. He was 61. He had saved a lot of patients lives along his brilliant career in the most beautiful profession of the world. Today, we accompanied him to his last home. All these days have been a real nightmare for all of us, his family, his mother, his sister, and me of course. 

I will come-back soon to my bench (life goes on despite everything) and I will go on posting updates (less frequently and with probably less details) here.

With my brother departure, it is a part of me that goes away.

Thanks a lot to all of you for your kind words and support.

This Mustang build is of course dedicated to him...

Olivier

• Sad 4

Thanks a lot, Hamden. You are probably my best support in this build and thread, always here to encourage me through likes and kind comments. I will need this support even more after these awful days, probably the worse in my life.

Cheers, Olivier

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Olivier.

To lose a friend is sad enough, to lose a Family member is sadder still.

My Father died about four years ago, and I am still recovering. Each day becomes a little less painful.

Take your time and grieve your brother's death well.

So appropriate that you have dedicated this project in his memory.

My condolences,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Thanks 1

I’m really sorry to hear this, Olivier. 
This must be a terrible blow for you and your family. 61 is far to young. 

My sincere condolences. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks with all my heart, dear friends, for your kind words and support.

During these awful days, I could though sometimes spend a little time with my favorite hobby (even much less than usually). Focusing on my build was very helpful, allowing me to forget for a while the nightmare we were living. It was the same with my pro work.

I could so go on a little with my tyres, rims, hubcaps, and here is the result:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I admit I am a bit proud of this result, even if the most clever idea did not come from me (the use of custom decal as a mask, see above). The decision to redo completely the wheels was not easy to take, but it was definitely worth it. In all aspects, the result is far better and much more faithful to the original (the real original, not the restored Mustang one), up to the replacement of the single too big wheel balancing lead by 2 little ones...

The tyres shape is more bulged, rounded, the hubcaps are much more internal (the biggest improvement imho), the inscriptions, White strip and Gold line on the tyres are much more faithful to the original, up to the checkered flags around "500".

Cheers, TMO

• Like 4