Ford Mustang 1964 1/2 Convertible 1/16 from the Coupe AMT kit: the Indy 500 Pace Car

10 hours ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Hi again,

Removing the Chrome trim, cut the lower arm to shorten it and re cement it, remove the whole paint and apply a new coat of Black Gloss were delicate jobs I just finished:

spacer.png

I think I really deserve my nickname, I must be totally mad to redo one more time this stuff, but this Chrome trim with the Mustang logo is very important in term of style, and the merciless comparison above showed this rework was imho necessary...

Cheers, O

In looking at the frontal view picture of the pace car, I noticed the lateral bars on either side of the horse appear to be black, not chrome. Do you think that is a liberty taken on the restoration,  or  was it so on the original?

• Like 1

Olivier

Enjoy your holiday, well earned if I say so myself.  Brilliant solution for the head light chrome. Could a vacuum formed  part be constructed to better represent the lens thickness?   Of course the recreating of the lines and squares (in the lens) would be a problem.  Consider with your now "expert status" (😉) using sanding pads and polishes it may be possible to sand the original lens thickness away. Regardless, good work so far, with much more to follow I'm sure.

Profitez de vos vacances 

Edited by Prop Duster
spellering
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lvp said:

In looking at the frontal view picture of the pace car, I noticed the lateral bars on either side of the horse appear to be black, not chrome. Do you think that is a liberty taken on the restoration,  or  was it so on the original?

Either that or "a reflection off her shoes".

The original did show chrome

On 09/08/2021 at 00:45, Jochen Barett said:

Comparison is the death of joy.

Yes, it's true, Jochen, and I admit it was particularly true for the last merciless one.

But these merciless comparisons are also the best way to improve our build and finally be as close as possible from truth. And hopefully the final result with these improvements will be source of much more joy and pride.

On 09/08/2021 at 02:00, Lvp said:

It is an optical effect, Les. On other pics of the same car (the famous Pace Car to buy 1.000.000 $), the same bars appear "Chrome" and not Black. But it is true that on this one, they really seem to be Black (I had not noticed that myself). We know pics may be misleading...

On 09/08/2021 at 06:39, Prop Duster said:

Enjoy your holiday, well earned if I say so myself.  Brilliant solution for the head light chrome. Could a vacuum formed  part be constructed to better represent the lens thickness?   Of course the recreating of the lines and squares (in the lens) would be a problem.  Consider with your now "expert status" (😉) using sanding pads and polishes it may be possible to sand the original lens thickness away. Regardless, good work so far, with much more to follow I'm sure.

Thanks a lot Steve. Yes, for the trays cups, I was really lucky, the dimensions matching very well with my front lights.

And like you, I thought about vacu-forming the glass shell, but, as you mention with right, I would lose the vertical and horizontal lines.

I may try to thin the AMT ones and I will certainly try (as I have the 2nd kit's ones if unsuccessful) but I will probably lose transparency by the sanding job (even going up to 12000 grit and using Compounds). We shall see and I will finally choose the best option at my disposal.

Thanks a lot too for your kind wishes: I will miss a bit my bench and the thread but holidays in Italy with my family should be fine.

22 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

The original did show chrome

I confirm it was not Black, Jochen. Now if we want to be totally right, these bars, the frame in which the Mustang horse takes place and the lower trim are not totally Chrome:

spacer.png

I realize I was wrong thinking and saying first that the bars are mixed Polished Alu and Chrome. They are full Chrome, as the close-up below confirms:

spacer.png

Considering the small size, it is difficult to represent really faithfully the real situation, but I will though try, at least on the lower trim, that I also removed yesterday (it had been affected too by the devil spot battle). I have removed the paint, shorthened the too long vertical rods on the sides and improved the state of surface. I applied a coat of Alclad Polished Alu and I will try to apply on the edge Chrome Bare Metal Foil. If the result is convincing, I could try to do the same on the Mustang Chrome trim frame...

Cheers, TMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Yes, it's true, Jochen, and I admit it was particularly true for the last merciless one.

But these merciless comparisons are also the best way to improve our build and finally be as close as possible from truth. And hopefully the final result with these improvements will be source of much more joy and pride.

+++

Cheers, TMO

These merciless comparisons might be the reason or one of the reasons some people are hanging on the edge of their seats following Totally Mad (almost never ending) build threads.

• Haha 2

Hello guys,

A last update before I leave home and bench:

spacer.png

N.B: it is not the cut that was a problem with my old BMF but removing it without tearing the very fragile foil…

See you soon, and thanks for following (hanging on the edge of your seat or not 😂)...

Cheers, O

Edit: I ordered a new Chrome BMF for next possible uses…

And about BMF, I share with you the nice video below:

• Like 6

On 17/07/2021 at 14:40, CrazyCrank said:

In any case, whatever varnish you apply to chrome paint, you will lose some of the shine.

Hi guys,

Still in holiday, I take advantage of my free time far from my bench to learn about modeling products.

We were recently wondering with CC if would exist a Gloss Coat that would not affect at all the nice Alclad Chrome effect.

It seems that yes, as this very interesting video suggests:

But pity, on ebay, the E7 "S02" Chrome sealer product, winner of the Barbatos Rex comparison test, can't be shipped to France. 

I could not find any internet provider to whom I could order this product. If luckily someone of you could order it for me and then send to me 2 items (at my expense of course), I would be very grateful...

Cheers, O

On 8/14/2021 at 10:08 PM, Mr Mansfield said:

Your attention to detail is “totally mad”! But the results are amazing. One small question: what is MMFA?

I fully agree with Mr M. 

But I know that you are searching for perfection and thruth. Well, you seem to be able nail it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello guys,

I am now back home, and before going back to my bench, here is a new Barbatos Rex video, that referring to Rex feelings, seems to obviate any Clear cote and allow to get the best Chrome available today with a paint. As you will see, there are 2 versions of this Green Stuff World product, one dedicated to small parts, using a paintbrush, and one to use with the airbrush, for wide surfaces. I have ordered both and will soon do my own experience, that I will share with you as usual. What I may say is that these products seem to be quite similar to the Molotow LC, to clean with alcohol as the latter, and with the same incredible mercury look when you put a drop in the cup, but the main difference is that there are 2 versions, one being specially formulated to be used with an airbrush...

More soon...

Cheers, O

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, dbostream said:

I look forward to see the results you get with these products.

Me too, this stuff looks very promising. 

5 mins later: I ordered some right away, when I found a store in NL. In fact, I ordered online but they are just 10 minutes away so I'll just pick up the order instead of having it sent over. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Me too, this stuff looks very promising. 

5 mins later: I ordered some right away, when I found a store in NL. In fact, I ordered online but they are just 10 minutes away so I'll just pick up the order instead of having it sent over. 

I hope you let us know if it is any good. :) 

Hello chaps,

spacer.png

N.B: The tin sheet was first buffed up to 8000 grit, then cut and glued with MMFA on the edge. 

spacer.png

In parallel, I also go on with my front lights:

spacer.png

We shall see if the thinned Clear globe is better or not than the AMT original one. If so, I will thin as well the 2nd globe.

If not, I will use the 2nd kit AMT one...

spacer.png

spacer.png

N.B: not yet received the GSW Chrome paints mentioned above. Will I get even nicer Chrome than the Molotow one?

We shall see, but in the meantime, my Chrome cups are now stored for further use...

To be followed,

Cheers, TMO

• Like 4

Ya see.....I always like coming to this thread not only for the fantastic build that's going on in it but for all the good information that' put out. I'm definitely going to be checking into this Green Stuff Chrome I tell tell ya that!! 

• Like 2

The gsw chrome looks like a great product. Certainly if it can sustain handling without damage. 

Your headlights look great, Olivier. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

Ya see.....I always like coming to this thread not only for the fantastic build that's going on in it but for all the good information that' put out. I'm definitely going to be checking into this Green Stuff Chrome I tell tell ya that!! 

Hi, Does anyone know if the green stuff chrome is available in the USA? I've not had any luck googling for it.

7 hours ago, Lvp said:

Does anyone know if the green stuff chrome is available in the USA?

I don't know, Les. Did you go on their site? https://www.greenstuffworld.com

I look forward to try this new product, that could be a kind of improved version of the Molotow LC, the latter being ever an interesting one...

14 hours ago, Pouln said:

Your headlights look great, Olivier. 

Thanks a lot, Poul. I though have to fix another problem with them: the merciless comparison above showed that this AMT headlight was a bit too small, what the close-up confirms. I made measures and using the rule of 3, I may say that, including the Chrome frame, it should be 11 mm instead of 10 mm. I am thinking about the best way to represent this round Chrome frame...

spacer.png

To be followed...

• Like 1

Totally Mad Olivier has struck again. I used indeed for the very first time my drilling machine for a build…

spacer.png

spacer.png

N.B: of course, if I had known these holes would require an enlargement, I would have done it long ago, before the assembly body/ chassis...

And a bit later:

spacer.png

spacer.png

N.B: I used these dental Copper rings (not been used for a long time in dentistry) but I should have used other options, fe thermoforming. We do with what you have at our disposal...

To be followed...

Cheers, O

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1