Ford Mustang 1964 1/2 Convertible 1/16 from the Coupe AMT kit: the Indy 500 Pace Car

Thanks a lot, Roger!

Even if there is still quite a lot of job to do on them and around them, I think I made the right choice with the tin foil, and I think I am on the good way for an acceptable result in this area.

I appreciate a lot your constant support along my build, it is very important for me.

Stay safe too* and good night...

Olivier

* Luckily, I will have my Covid vaccin recall with Pfizer BioNTech on Wednesday as more than 50 years old health pro. Pity, no vaccin for back pains...

Hello chaps,

I have been very pro busy these last days, meaning very few time for my favorite hobby.

When I had a little time, I have sanded the Surface Primer and applied with a paintbrush the Vallejo Off White again (better coverage than directly WW airbrushed).

Then I have sanded up to 12000 grit (Micromesh) the ashtray frame made of tin sheet, getting a nice bare metal look).

Finally, after masking with care the latter, I have just applied a coat of WW with my airbrush. 

Here is the result:

spacer.png 

spacer.png

Cheers, TMO

• Like 3

Hello to all,

A little update, as my ashtrays are finally over:

spacer.png

I am happy with the Microscale satin varnish. It provides a nice satin look, may be used as with a paintbrush, as with an airbrush, it is thinned with water and cleaned with alcohol in US bath, like acrylic paints. I recommend...

Cheers, TMO

• Like 4

Hello,

Olivier there are the product taht I use to remove scratchs and polish :

Produit-Lustrage-01.jpg

Produit-Lustrage-02.jpg

By the past I use Plastic Polish from Bare Metal, very useful and prodigious, but can't not be find since a long time.

Very important, don't use it before painting or varnish your model, results can be very strange or damage badly your paint.

• Thanks 1

Hello to all,

First thanks to Escaflowne for his contribution.

I have been silent for 1 week, mainly because of back pains (again...), then because I again spent a lot of time to clean, reorganize, rationalize my bench (about 15-20 h spent and definitely an even much neater working area). I can't detail here all the ideas and things I did to improve the ergonomics of my workstation and so my modeling experience, but there were many:

spacer.png

I also took advantage of this breathing to think about the next steps:

spacer.png

One thing is nearly sure: I will have to dive again the 3D modeling bath (unwillingly, it is not the kind of model making I prefer), for some details such the handles, the windscreen wipers and probably other ones. I had abandoned my resin printer and the Fusion 360 software, both should soon be again current...

In the meantime, stay safe and happy modeling

Cheers, Olivier

P.S: I mentioned above that I had to send back to Oupsmodel the SP/E Proxxon tool, because of a bolt impossible to unscrew.

I am 100% sure I sent the full machine, with the polishing mandrel (supposing I was dishonest, I had no reason to keep it, as I bought a new machine to my local dealer with the same mandrel).

Yet I got a phone call from Oupsmodel. The guy said that the mandrel was missing. He first said he could not make the refund for the whole machine. As I said it was unacceptable, he said he would see with his handler and call me back.

A few days later, I got a new phone call, in which he said 10,5€ would be deducted from the refund.

But finally, it is 16,6€ that were deducted on the Paypal refund.

I have just sent a message to Oupsmodel, saying my way of thinking, and that naturally, I will from now order on other modeling sites, and will stop promote Oupsmodel around me.

It is not for the money (a few euros) but the principle: I won't make work a company that does not trust on his loyal customers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The sad face is for the way you have been treated Oliver by your supplier, hopefully you will manage to resolve the dispute in your favour!

Love your work area I definitely have bench envy 

Hope your back improves quickly stay safe            Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/02/2021 at 10:38, Hamden said:

hopefully you will manage to resolve the dispute in your favour!

Pity, I won't solve this, Roger, except that I will boycott Oupsmodel from now...

Love your work area I definitely have bench envy 

Thanks a lot, I know I am very lucky with such a bench now. The only thing I miss is natural light (my bench, unlike our cars, is in my fairly spacious garage).  

Except natural light, it is a very comfortable place for modeling, with reversible air conditioning and dehumidifier, that allow me to paint even in wet conditions. The dehumidifier allows in addition to set as fast as possible materials such putty (TEP, Surface Primer etc.)

spacer.png

N.B: this model, great and rather nice, was less than 200€. It is an incomparably better option than moisture absorbers especially for a large space like this one (about 50 m2).

Hope your back improves quickly stay safe

Thanks for that too. Quickly, not really, but little by little, yes.

And now a new tip about CA. I mentioned above the revolution is imho the light curing CA. But in many situations, you go on needing a conventional CA. I bought this (still UHU) product and tried it:

spacer.png

N.B: - this CA has a rather long setting time (compared with others CA), unlike what is mentioned on the bottle. 

- its consistency is NOT liquid (a liquid consistency allows to glue by capillarity), let's say fluid. In many situations, it is a very good consistency.

spacer.png

In conclusion, a very good CA, very clean, and that you will use to the last drop...

Cheers, Olivier

• Like 2

Hello chaps,

First I apologize for being silent these last times, but I had some health problems (not totally solved, pity) that kept me away from my workshop. And when I was a little better, I decided to bring to a conclusion the amazing reorganization of this workshop. I won't post another pic of the latter, but I may say it is now really as I wanted.

As I need to reprint the window and doors opening handles, broken, I needed to come-back on Fusion 360.

Yet my free subscription is over, and I don't know how to extend it.

I am for now in "just read" mode, and I suppose it is why I can't "export in STL format", precondition to 3D print with my Anycubic printer.

If a competent 3D modeler such Roy or Daniel, could help me, it would be fine...

Furthermore, I ever repaired the gearbox reverse arm, one thing done...

Cheers, Olivier

2 hours ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

I am for now in "just read" mode, and I suppose it is why I can't "export in STL format", precondition to 3D print with my Anycubic printer.

Sorry to hear about your health issues Olivier, I hope it will be better soon. Anyway, I'm not familiar with the 3D printing stuff, but my thought was, since you printed these parts before, don't you still have the STL file from when you last exported it to feed it to your AnyCubic?

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2021 at 9:49 AM, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Hello chaps,

First I apologize for being silent these last times, but I had some health problems (not totally solved, pity) that kept me away from my workshop. And when I was a little better, I decided to bring to a conclusion the amazing reorganization of this workshop. I won't post another pic of the latter, but I may say it is now really as I wanted.

As I need to reprint the window and doors opening handles, broken, I needed to come-back on Fusion 360.

Yet my free subscription is over, and I don't know how to extend it.

If a competent 3D modeler such Roy or Daniel, could help me, it would be fine...

Furthermore, I ever repaired the gearbox reverse arm, one thing done...

Cheers, Olivier

Please, read your MP in a few minutes 😉

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2021 at 7:49 AM, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Hello to all,

First thanks to Escaflowne for his contribution.

I have been silent for 1 week, mainly because of back pains (again...), then because I again spent a lot of time to clean, reorganize, rationalize my bench (about 15-20 h spent and definitely an even much neater working area). I can't detail here all the ideas and things I did to improve the ergonomics of my workstation and so my modeling experience, but there were many:

spacer.png

I also took advantage of this breathing to think about the next steps:

spacer.png

One thing is nearly sure: I will have to dive again the 3D modeling bath (unwillingly, it is not the kind of model making I prefer), for some details such the handles, the windscreen wipers and probably other ones. I had abandoned my resin printer and the Fusion 360 software, both should soon be again current...

In the meantime, stay safe and happy modeling

Cheers, Olivier

P.S: I mentioned above that I had to send back to Oupsmodel the SP/E Proxxon tool, because of a bolt impossible to unscrew.

I am 100% sure I sent the full machine, with the polishing mandrel (supposing I was dishonest, I had no reason to keep it, as I bought a new machine to my local dealer with the same mandrel).

Yet I got a phone call from Oupsmodel. The guy said that the mandrel was missing. He first said he could not make the refund for the whole machine. As I said it was unacceptable, he said he would see with his handler and call me back.

A few days later, I got a new phone call, in which he said 10,5€ would be deducted from the refund.

But finally, it is 16,6€ that were deducted on the Paypal refund.

I have just sent a message to Oupsmodel, saying my way of thinking, and that naturally, I will from now order on other modeling sites, and will stop promote Oupsmodel around me.

It is not for the money (a few euros) but the principle: I won't make work a company that does not trust on his loyal customers.

If that is how they do their business, it is good that people are warned. Regarding the refund, I see you paid using Paypal. I’d say contact them and ask them to refund the remainder. You are entitled to it.  

Reading your next post... sorry to hear that you have health issues. Hope that will improve asap.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2021 at 19:01, CrazyCrank said:

Please, read your MP in a few minutes 😉

Thanks a lot, CC! I could finally, using your hints by PM, be able to modify (and so to save as STL) my window opening handle. I must say I seem to have used Fusion and the Anycubic software in another life! I have forgotten nearly everything (rather alarming), and it will be a big effort to print again with good results the pieces.

Furthermore, CC has suggested me to change TMO for WAMM (What A Mad Man), that sounds vigorous (I am not so currently...). What do you think of this idea? 

1 hour ago, Pouln said:

Regarding the refund, I see you paid using Paypal. I’d say contact them and ask them to refund the remainder. You are entitled to it.  

I did so, Poul, but I could not complain because Oupsmodel made a refund (not the one they should). Paypal invited me to contact the seller. Briefly, I turn this page but, as you say, it is good that people are warned, and that is why I mentioned this problem in the thread.

Cheers, Olivier

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Furthermore, CC has suggested me to change TMO for WAMM (What A Mad Man), that sounds vigorous (I am not so currently...). What do you think of this idea? 

LOL, both are quite applicable, so whatever you feel comfortable with...😉

Must say I am used to TMO now. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Poul, I think I will keep TMO for now, avoiding too frequent changes of pseudo.

I was happy, as I could (thanks to Thierry) export as STL my main files (window and door opening handles). I could go on the Photon slicer and prepare several handles, adding the necessary supports etc. I also redid the leveling step on the printer itself. Briefly, I was about to reprint, when I got a message saying that an update was necessary. I tried to find this update but didn't succeed.

I finally sent a message to the Anycubic after-sale support. They should contact me soon and I hope I will be able to reprint these parts soon too.

In the meantime, I decide to improve the inner doors (some beads were not fine) and to scratchbuild the armrests (I made them using the 3D printer, but for such a part, I think the scratch is a better option). More, they were a bit too short, 14 mm instead of 15,5 mm advisable (see the post of 20/02/2019 on p. 27). 

I use the Evergreen ref. 164 (square tubes in 2 mm).

More soon...

Cheers, Olivier

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, Roger! Indeed, I feel better, but my right foot problem (Morton neuroma) is not yet solved for now and nights are still a bit difficult because of pains. I hope it will be OK soon...

Let's come-back to the build: thanks to Bernard, I have precise measures for the armrests. Here they are:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

To be followed...

• Like 1

Might it be that the soft part has shrunk or deformed a bit in the many years of its life?

It also “corkscrewed” a bit I gather from the last picture.

Would be quite weird for Ford to design it such that the hard parts protrude from underneath the soft part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pouln said:

Would be quite weird for Ford to design it such that the hard parts protrude from underneath the soft part.

Dear Poul,

maybe it didn't, indeed, and maybe even it is an optical illusion (notice that, on the previous pic, it is the armrest that seems to protrude). Honestly, at 1/16, it is really so subtle anyway that it doesn't matter.

More important is to decide what option to scratchbuild the rather complex Chrome support. Considering the dimensions and the Chrome aspect, I tried to use tin sheet (1 mm and 0,6 mm thickness assembled for now)...

More as soon as possible...

On 28/02/2021 at 09:22, Totally Mad Olivier said:

I was happy, as I could (thanks to Thierry) export as STL my main files (window and door opening handles). I could go on the Photon slicer and prepare several handles, adding the necessary supports etc. I also redid the leveling step on the printer itself. Briefly, I was about to reprint, when I got a message saying that an update was necessary. I tried to find this update but didn't succeed.

I finally sent a message to the Anycubic after-sale support. They should contact me soon and I hope I will be able to reprint these parts soon too.

I got a reply from Anycubic yesterday and happily, this time, I could slice on the USB disk, the handles I need to reprint.

Before going further, I need to study again the tutos, to avoid fails (as I said above, I had nearly totally forgotten all these steps). From this point of view, my own thread is useful for myself, I just need to find the concerned pages. 

So, I hope I will soon get the expected parts. 

That said, my progress is still very slow, as I have few free time with my pro work and my medical appointments...

Cheers, Olivier

• Like 1

Hello chaps, 

Some ups and downs with my handles print:

- ups: I could finally print, and on the parts I could get, the state of surface seems to be very good (no sanding/ filling)

- downs: my Anycubic printer could print correctly only 4 pieces among the 12 ones I carefully printed:

spacer.png

N.B: -  link to the video (in french) I mention in the pic: https://youtu.be/IdlxcvfeYQI

- I needed 4 window opening handles (the previous printed ones I have were a bit too short). I have got only 3 ones, what means I should reprint...

- of course, this time, I will be very careful when the handles will be ready (Chrome painted). Very fragile, they will be stored and assembled as late as possible, just before assembling the doors to the body...

I could decide to buy a new generation printer soon (they are cheaper and cheaper, and in the same time better and better), but in the meantime, I will try to go on with the Anycubic Photon, that I didn't use so much up to now...

More soon...

Olivier

P.S: a bad new for me, Michael, who helped me to design on Fusion (Crealab, St Raphaël Cultural Center) these handles, has now moved to Draguignan, what is too far for me who have so few time. I need to find another designer for other parts to represent, such the windscreen wipers or yet the specific Pace Car handles on the side panels at the rear seats...

4 hours ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Hello chaps, 

Some ups and downs with my handles print:

- ups: I could finally print, and on the parts I could get, the state of surface seems to be very good (no sanding/ filling)

- downs: my Anycubic printer could print correctly only 4 pieces among the 12 ones I carefully printed:

spacer.png

N.B: -  link to the video (in french) I mention in the pic: https://youtu.be/IdlxcvfeYQI

- I needed 4 window opening handles (the previous printed ones I have were a bit too short). I have got only 3 ones, what means I should reprint...

- of course, this time, I will be very careful when the handles will be ready (Chrome painted). Very fragile, they will be stored and assembled as late as possible, just before assembling the doors to the body...

I could decide to buy a new generation printer soon (they are cheaper and cheaper, and in the same time better and better), but in the meantime, I will try to go on with the Anycubic Photon, that I didn't use so much up to now...

More soon...

Olivier

P.S: a bad new for me, Michael, who helped me to design on Fusion (Crealab, St Raphaël Cultural Center) these handles, has now moved to Draguignan, what is too far for me who have so few time. I need to find another designer for other parts to represent, such the windscreen wipers or yet the specific Pace Car handles on the side panels at the rear seats...

Hi Olivier

I use an Elegoo Mars pro to print my parts. This printer has the same features than yours.

And normally, you should achieve to print your tiny door handles as well as I printed my windshield opening system for the Delahaye

Your issues come from the way you've set your printer and/or your slicer imho.

Take a look at the results I got, following this link:  See September 16 posts

So, be patient and take the time to do several tries.

• Thanks 1

Dear Thierry,

I followed your suggestion and been watching your nice print of the Delahaye windshield opening system, but:

- you seemed to print only one piece, and I suppose you did not place it on the edge of the slicing plate. 

- I had a very good result on some pieces (the ones I showed in the previous post), while some other ones partially or totally failed.

- Thomas (Polyworkshop), in the You Tube video I put in link above, explains that, with the previous generation of low cost 3D printers (such the Anycubic Photon), there was a problem to print on edges of the plate. Maybe your Elegoo printer is more recent than the Photon and better on this parameter...

As I needed to get one more door handle, I decided to reprint exactly the same set of pieces than the last time, in order to check which pieces fail and which one are successful. Carefully, I redid the platform leveling before this new print (it seems to be recommended to redo it for each new print). The print is on the way, I will show what I get straight from the print, and it will be time to draw conclusions.

What I mean is that, if it was a problem of settings, I suppose I could not get nice prints as I did (all my prints would fail).

Btw, the settings I used were the ones suggested by Anycubic. Now if really it is a setting problem (what imho I don't think), I would like to know what settings I should modify:

spacer.png

A bit later: here is the platform after rincing with Resinaway in a US bath:

spacer.png

I am quite sure it was the same pieces that were OK on the first print. So?

Cheers, Olivier

Olivier, I have the same printer. It should be possible to print right to the edge of the build plate. Are you sure you that the plate is leveled correctly?