Ford Mustang 1964 1/2 Convertible 1/16 from the Coupe AMT kit: the Indy 500 Pace Car

I think this is good, in that last pic you can see the difference with the letters you haven't painted yet and the softer brown looks pretty good. Btw I almost can't believe you're brush painting this, I can understand your eyes need a break! You're definitely not a person to colour outside the lines 😉 

• Thanks 1

Hello chaps,

My painting job on the outer part of the doors over, I come-back now on the connection windshield/ dashboard.

I ever mentioned the presence of the band that makes this connection and hides the lower portion of the rubber joint:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I began the job, and here is below the result. I could go on with this band and just add details on it (this band will be really just slightly visible once the model finished), but I am not totally happy with it, because the band should be much at least vertical, and even a bit tilted opposite angle:

spacer.png

spacer.png

A bit later:

spacer.png

And even a bit later:

spacer.png

Cheers, TMO

• Like 3

Hello chaps,

I began to paint the body, checking in the same time that all is correct now and I noticed a defect at the front, recalling the one I had to correct at the rear recently (see the first post in p. 48):

spacer.png

I would prefer the LC putty option, as it gets hard immediately, while the epoxy putty requires at least 12 hours...

A bit later:

spacer.png

Cheers, TMO

• Like 3

Hello chaps,

Stupidly, I first used XF-20A as thinner, forgetting my own protocol. I got grain in my paint coat. I tried to find this protocol and fell on the January 21, 2019 (p. 23) post. I had to sand the whole coat and used this time alcohol 96° as thinner. The result is a mat, great, very fine grain surface:

spacer.png

I recall this chronology here:

spacer.png

N.B: this chronology is OK for decals placement, but as I intend to paint the blue strips (like I did on the hood), should I paint the latter before the Gloss varnish coat? If I remember right, for the hood, the varnish was ever applied (I first used the AMT decals and necessarily applied them on a gloss surface). However, it seems more logical to do the whole painting job before applying the gloss coat...

To be followed...

• Like 1

For some reason, even when I paint my hoods along with the body, I seem to always get a different shade than the rest of the car. With that being said it never seems to take away from the overall build. Honestly.....I think you're gonna be alright potna.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

For some reason, even when I paint my hoods along with the body, I seem to always get a different shade than the rest of the car. With that being said it never seems to take away from the overall build. Honestly.....I think you're gonna be alright potna.

Thanks a lot for your post, mustang1989, but when I read it, the repainting job was ever done:

spacer.png

The WW paint was applied just after the masking job, and as the acrylic paint (even Gloss) sets very fast when thinned with alcohol, even the Gloss coat is ever applied when I write this post. I took advantage to make the necessary corrections mentioned above.

I have now to wait at least 6 hours before buffing again the Gloss coat...

Cheers, TMO

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Can't wait to see the buffing results.

Me too, chap, me too... If I refer to the Klear Kote Gloss Alclad, the setting time is only 1 hour. But I prefer to carefully wait much more than that. 

Cheers, TMO

Hi Olivier :)

I do not post frequently  on your thread and I'm very sorry to write here what will follow:

Despite the incredible and hard work you've already done on this kit to get it closer to the real, the difference between the hood and the rest of the bodywork isn't acceptable imho, and spoil all the enhancements you've already done.

It looks like if you had crashed you car on the road, and got a spare hood in an auto salvage yard !

I don't want to be rude nor harsh with you, but this hood is actually far from your usual standard of quality, regarding its color.

Imho, you should try to modify this, if possible.

I've tried to choose my words and hope this won't hurt too much

All my respect Olivier :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Hi Olivier :)

I do not post frequently  on your thread and I'm very sorry to write here what will follow:

Despite the incredible and hard work you've already done on this kit to get it closer to the real, the difference between the hood and the rest of the bodywork isn't acceptable imho, and spoil all the enhancements you've already done.

It looks like if you had crashed you car on the road, and got a spare hood in an auto salvage yard !

I don't want to be rude nor harsh with you, but this hood is actually far from your usual standard of quality, regarding its color/

Imho, you should try to modify this, if possible.

I've tried to choose my word and hope this won(t hurt too much

All my respect Olivier :)

I reluctantly agree. 

The color difference immediately draws the eye, similar to the brightest spot in a photograph.

Secondly, I'm fearful you may run into issues with the blue stripe matching.

Best to strip the hood, apply as many layers of paint and clear as the body has had .

Then apply all the stripes at one time, then overcoat with clear and buff again.

You want to avoid getting in a situation where you have too much paint and possible incompatibility reactions on the hood in the future or needing to strip the body entirely.

I don't get the sense that you are a man who excepts compromise, I mean that as a compliment.

• Like 1

Dear Thierry, Les and Manu,

I was so focused on the problem of surface state that I didn't realize this difference was so visible, even after the new coat of WW. Moreover, I really don't understand why I have this difference while the same color was used.

I asked my wife and my son to tell me if they noticed a problem with the color (without telling them of course) and they noticed the difference. This confirms that this is not acceptable.

I will have to modify a bit the mix (a little bit more yellow X8) hoping I will get nearly the same final color.

I don't remember having met such a problem in my modeler's life, definitely, and mustang1989 told he met the same one with the hood. 

And as I look now with a critical eye, I notice nearly the same difference of color between the body and the doors (the latter being also a bit more grey white when in place):

spacer.png

spacer.png

My analysis and conclusion:

- if there was only the problem on the hood, I could try to paint "Ivory" its underbody (engine side), considering that the hood will be closed. I am not sure this would be enough to get the expected result, but...

- if you consider that the problem is the same with doors, then the conclusion is imho quite simple: it is more easy for me to change the body color (less Ivory, with more White) than hood and especially doors, on which I have strips and letters.

So I intend to modify a bit my mix and repaint the body (rather than doors and hood) until I get the same color everywhere when the latter are in place.

A bit later: I have ever added some X-2 to my mix (about 15/20% added to the mix) and here is what I will do: I will first apply this new mix on the top part of the front wings around the hood. I will apply a coat of Klear Kote over this area (applying a varnish may modify a bit the color). If the color I get then matches very well, the whole body will be painted so (I don't know yet if I will completely remove the previous coats with the Tamiya Paint Remover but it is probably the best option if I want to preserve the maximum details). If new adjustements are necessary, I will adapt my mix, until I get a fine match hood (and doors) / body.

Nothing in this build can shake me, definitely!!!

Anyway, I not only am not mad about you, but I thank you for avoiding me errors. You sometimes need an outside eye, and this is why Britmodeller is great! 

Cheers, TMO

• Like 2

To be frank I had noticed this difference of color, hood, door and the rest...I thought it was normal and I did not find it terrible.
You write a lot about your pictures and I don’t understand English so I looked at it all without saying anything.
I take advantage of it, there are often different variations of rendering on your photos, you should correct the white balance in order to have the same balance on all your photos. (la traduction est mal faite dans la mesure où c'est un conseil et non un ordre).
Good continuation  ;o)

Edited by Ghost69

Decidedly, my ego took a serious hit today, but you are probably right...

I ever spend a lot of time (this precious time with my busy pro activity) doing these pics with labels to show and explain my modeling work, and I admit I just use my IPhone XR for most of the pics. I will take more care for the very last pics when the build is over (then I will use my Canon Powershot with manual settings) like I did for my previous builds. That said, the cardboard used changes itself a lot the perception of colors. I should probably use always the same cardboard to avoid that.

But if there is a difference (such this one, incomprehensible) between the hood and the body, it will appear imho whatever cardboard is used. So sorry but I will go on doing pics as I do now (I understood it was anyway not an order!)

Olivier, no ego, he's just a model, cool 😉
Difficult to explain everything in English, white balance will allow you to have the same colour for the same object whatever the background and the type of lighting. 
Sometimes your body is a little more magenta than in another photo, other times a little greener. All this is subtle but a photographer will notice it.
It's more if one day you make a photo album, your body will always have the same colour on the photo paper.
Of course, this doesn't change the fact that you have a different colour between the bonnet, doors and the rest.
It's just an explanation. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Yes, go on with your iphone, it doesn't matter.

Edited by Ghost69
  • Like 1

Ok, Manu, no problem, thank you for your contribution and sorry for my sensitivity, but "I did not find it terrible" was hard to read for me after the CC and Les comments, even if justified, while I make so much efforts to get a fine result and share all steps of my build (hassles as well as satisfactions) with many traps such this incomprehensible problem of color.

Of course, it is just a leasure, but a soNo o demanding one...

And even if it is difficult to post in english, remember that we are supposed not to use french, except of course in PM...

No offense.

That said, I applied yesterday evening my new mix on the front part of the wings, and here is the result:

spacer.png

To be followed...

Posting in French was a mistake, I got mixed up in my translated pages. Besides, in French my text would have been better than this translation.
Not made for me all that. I won't linger too long here. A few more pictures of my car and it will certainly be good.