Ford Mustang 1964 1/2 Convertible 1/16 from the Coupe AMT kit: the Indy 500 Pace Car

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As I am in corrections, I did the new merciless comparison below:

spacer.png

It mainly shows that my rubber joint is much too thick, and that my deflectors are still a bit too low (and maybe also a bit too short). I have to remove them one more time and bring the necessary improvements.

To be followed...

Cheers, TMO

• Like 2

Your attention to detail is other worldly (fanatical and inspiring).

Are you planning on having the doors open and close? If so, should the vents be attached to the doors vs. the windshield?

An observation, if I may; I often find myself making amendments and creating parts for many of my builds. Often this process occurs in a latter stage and results in much repainting (and sometimes redecaling). Leads to frustration and more time spent on the build than necessary. It finally occurred, to my thick head, that dry fitting (trial fitting) my many adulterated parts was a more efficient means to an end. Benefit is also fewer layers of paint, less mismatched color and ruined decals.

Please don't take this as criticism,  just sharing some of the "pain" of these intricate build processes.

Keep up the outstanding work - I'm always learning something from you.

Les

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot, chaps!

9 hours ago, Lvp said:

Are you planning on having the doors open and close? If so, should the vents be attached to the doors vs. the windshield?

The doors will be closed, without possibility to open them, as probably the engine hood. My Mustang will be exposed in a showcase, anyway. That said, I didn't understand what vents you meant, Les.

9 hours ago, Lvp said:

An observation, if I may; I often find myself making amendments and creating parts for many of my builds. Often this process occurs in a latter stage and results in much repainting (and sometimes redecaling). Leads to frustration and more time spent on the build than necessary. It finally occurred, to my thick head, that dry fitting (trial fitting) my many adulterated parts was a more efficient means to an end. Benefit is also fewer layers of paint, less mismatched color and ruined decals.

Please don't take this as criticism,  just sharing some of the "pain" of these intricate build processes.

The observation is absolutely justified, Les, and I am often angry against myself, because I seem to need to be wrong first and to move towards the truth by making corrections. And these corrections take time, are very delicate and risky. I try to fight against this all the time, but the fact is here, and even doing frequent dry fits, it often occurs, like in the assembly windshield/ deflectors example. Modeling is a discipline that leads to humility and it learns to observe closely.

Cheers, TMO

4 hours ago, Lvp said:

Deflectors are commonly known as vent (ventilation) windows in the U.S..

Ok, Les, now I understand. And as my doors will be closed, the vents will be attached to both doors and windshield...

A little update after the last corrections:

spacer.png

Later: As I was wondering why my deflectors were a bit too short, despite the fact that I measured them precisely, as the windshield, I noticed an important detail that had escaped me up to now: if I can't really refer to the last merciless comparison pic (it was done with Jean-Michel Mustang, a 67 model and the shape could  be more anguled on this portion of the body), there is indisputably a step that is missing on my build:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Adding this step only by addition would lead me too far, and I am not sure it would be more faithful to the original, but I have to represent it, even a bit reduced (compromise), partially by adding, and partially by subtraction (carving the upper part of the door). A new challenge while doors have ever been painted, varnished, with decals (and I remember the mess getting these letters was!) in place...

spacer.png

spacer.png

That is why, finally, I won't do any adding but just carve the upper part of the door to get a more or less convincing step. 

This build will turn me definitely mad...

Cheers, TMO

• Like 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Later: after the 180 grit, 240, 800 and 1500 grit sanding papers have been used with the same tool. I am rather glad with the step I get both sides. It was a good idea to use the Proxxon PS 13 for this job, while I tended to consider this sanding tool not very useful. Small and small, the technique is a bit refined. Fe, instead of keeping a right angle on the square head of my sanding tool, I have rounded it. The consequence: the durability of the paper is a bit longer and the shape is more in line with the required step.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers, TMO

• Like 4

Olivier, You keep making the slightest corrections, resulting in a very truthfull representation. Absolutely fantastic work (as always).

• Thanks 1

On 05/12/2020 at 16:42, Totally Mad Olivier said:

This build will turn me definitely mad...

Will you then change your forum name to "Definitely Totally Mad"? 😇

Of course, in addition to being Totally (and Utterly, I might add) mad, you also have the heart of a lion. I mean, who would have the nerve to remove part of a door that took so much effort to finish? Very clever sanding tool you made, by the way. 

• Haha 1

Thanks a lot to both of you, Poul and Jeroen (difficult to choose my reaction to your both funny and kind comment, Jeroen, impossible to have 2 reactions, I chose to react to the first part of the latter...)

Cheers, Olivier 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Thanks a lot to both of you, Poul and Jeroen (difficult to choose my reaction to your both funny and kind comment, Jeroen, impossible to have 2 reactions, I chose to react to the first part of the latter...)

Cheers, Olivier 

Good choice Olivier, having a laugh is always the best option 🙂 

• Like 1

Hello chaps,

spacer.png

N.B: Carefully, I decided to do all of the steps for these corrections on the only right door, even if this means more time spent... 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well, I am gonna do the same job on the left door, now...

Cheers, TMO

• Like 4

spacer.png

spacer.png

Of course, we know that we can’y refer to pics to determine precisely a color, but on these 2 différent ones, the color is a kind of light brown nearly beige.

Will I have the courage to repaint the letters, while I have ever applied the varnish?

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, my brother mustang1989 (I didn't understand history pal)

I slept on it and decided this morning to repaint the letters, because I am sure I would regret not to do so. I will use a mix 50/50 of Vallejo Flat Brown 984 and Desert Yellow 977. I will take advantage of these new corrections to improve other defects on my outer left door.

To be followed...

8 hours ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Will I have the courage to repaint the letters

Hi Olivier

First of all stunning work as always! Those photos of the real thing were taken outside on a sunny day. Is it worth doing the same to your door to get a better colour comparison? I don't know what lighting conditions you used for your photo but it just feels we are not comparing like for like.

Nick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fnick said:

Hi Olivier

First of all stunning work as always! Those photos of the real thing were taken outside on a sunny day. Is it worth doing the same to your door to get a better colour comparison? I don't know what lighting conditions you used for your photo but it just feels we are not comparing like for like.

Nick

Thanks a lot, Nick! We wrote at the same time our posts, and so I read yours just now. Your suggestion is very good, but even if I have a little sun this morning, it will be a cold morning winter's one (about 4°C here now), probably quite different from Indiana in May. Though I will do the experience. In a moment (it is a bit early for now and the sun is just rising), I will take a pic of my door under outside conditions, before finalizing my decision. Notice that not only the color is wrong (to confirm) on the AMT MUSTANG decal, the letters should be narrower. But such a correction would lead me too far...

And a bit later:

spacer.png

Cheers, TMO

• Like 1

Hmm I don't know Olivier.. the pic on the right looks like a pretty good match. The pic on the left, looking at the people in the background I'd say the colours are exagerated just a little bit. Probably '60's colour film. 

• Like 1