Ford Mustang 1964 1/2 Convertible 1/16 from the Coupe AMT kit: the Indy 500 Pace Car

spacer.png

Imho, Tamiya should create a high (or at least medium) viscosity version of this LC putty. If it could be a bit lighter than this one (low viscosity and yellow). Then, we would have imho the perfect putty to shape volumes... Compared with the Revotek LC, the Tamiya LC Putty is much easier to sand...

spacer.png

I have to say that up to now, I had this Tamiya product had used very few, neglecting it, not aware of its qualities. I will probably use it much more in the future, maybe even sometimes in situations in which I used the CA up to now...

Cheers,  Olivier

• Like 2

spacer.png

Well, this lower limit job done, I am now going to dive in the air inlet challenge. I will try to represent it as well as possible. The question is: where to place the cursor? would I be able to represent the 2 hp visible through the slots?? (see the pic of the post# 763 p. 31). Anyway, even if I decide to make compromises, considering the AMT ones, mine should be at least a little better...

As always, suggestions welcome.

Stay in tune if you like

Cheers,  Olivier

• Like 4

spacer.png

Let's hope the garden will be fine!

To be followed...

P.S: my workbench, reorganized to integrate as well as possible the powerful plasma arc LC display that I had stopped using at my clinic for a while. This lamp allows to cure very fast (5 s. but it is not cordless):

spacer.png

• Like 5

Thanks Roy for your kind and encouraging message.

Where are you in your Delage build?

I remember you suggested a method for the inlet slots not using the 3D. Maybe I could use it for the inside ones... 

Cheers, Olivier

• Like 1

Regarding Delage project: I'm awaiting some final answers as regards true tyre size. Drawing of the wheels is wrong so I'll have to draw again. Not only tyres but also the wheels, which are incorrect even on the #1 chassis. Should be 70 spokes, current wheels are 60 spokes. Some exciting research results, will post in due time. 

Regarding the inlet slots... not sure which method I suggested. If they are only slots (rather than louvres), you could photo etch them; but it's a lot of work for a little part. However you could consider it as an educational exercise. Never too old to learn new techniques, right? :) 

2D drawing of the part would be very easy in Qcad for example. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

2D drawing of the part would be very easy in Qcad for example. 

I don't know Qcad, Roy, but, thinking about 2D, I wonder if, considering that this air inlet, unlike the outside one, will be visible only through the windscreen, could not be represented by a custom decal, made from a good pic taken from directly from above (this one is lightly off center). Indeed, it is imho impossible to represent the very narrow slots though which we may discern the 2 hp with any technique, 3D included:

spacer.png

spacer.png

We ever saw in the thread such a Blue dashboard (we saw it of course too on the Indy 500 model). A good pic (not easy to take it directly from above) from such a one could be a good base:

spacer.png

What do you all think of this idea? 

Cheers,  Olivier

P.S: Roy, can you put a link to your Delage build here, please?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

I do love this blue, that I could name "petrol blue", it is quite the same color I've chosen for my Delahaye 135 upholstery :)

Me too, Thierry, but the Indy 500 upholstery will be Off White (very nice too...) and I put this pic just to show that some Convertible have the Blue dashboard like the Pace Car. I will send you a PM anyway very soon about the way to contact Mr Serpagli (you are much more familiar with Facebook than me)

Cheers, Olivier

• Like 1

Hello chaps,

I decided to make a trial from the pic I had done on Bernard's Mustang in november 2018:

spacer.png

Well, it is imho an encouraging result. If I could get the sam pic (better, well centered) over a Blue dashboard cap, I think my problem would be quite satisfyingly solved. The problem is now to get this great pic...

Cheers, Olivier

P.S: I just got the Milliput SF White and the Tamiya Epoxy Putty. 2 products to compare (I suppose they are quite similar)...

• Like 3

I first want to thank warmly CC and Biggu, who both try to help me. I hope I will succeed getting the good desired pic. In the meantime, I am gonna work to create the recessed area:

spacer.png

spacer.png

P.S: my second work plan, on which most of my pics are made (reassure yourself, as the main one, it is not always as tidy and clean...):

spacer.png

Detail of the main work plan:

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hi TMO, I don't know if it might help you, but I've found on the net see pictures of blue dashboards and dashpads for 1965 Mustangs, and also the mail address to join Mr SERPAGLI

50023568587_b394281f8a_b.jpg

50023513861_644500509b_b.jpg

50022969643_b5a03846e6_b.jpg

50023514046_3415392b4e_b.jpg

50023514106_cd0c404824_b.jpg

50023514041_f9cc42f898_b.jpg

50023771222_5f4da64388_b.jpg

50022969378_00ca45150b_b.jpg

50023771512_6f4b3a02ba_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot Thierry for these nice pics (Jeff - Biggu - had also sent me some interesting things by PM). But, as I said above, I really need something very precise, a top view well centered over the inside air inlet, on a Blue dashboard cap. And that is why the best info in your post is certainly the e-mail adress of Patrick Serpagli. I am gonna write him all now, hoping I will get a reply and the answer to my request. I have been often disappointed when doing such requests ((remember how difficult it was in the Fiat 806 research thread, but also in this Mustang one (Hubert Hainault, fe)). But in some other cases, we may have got the help we needed (for the dimensions of the seats and rear seat, fe). I hope it will be so this time too...

Cheers, Olivier 

P.S: e-mail just sent to Patrick Serpagli... 🤞🍀

• Like 1

Nice to see you back on this project.

Re: a decal. There are a few post processing photo apps that can change the colors to what you need, (I could help with that) so don't be too concerned about finding a blue dash cap to photograph. Getting the correct angle is more important.

My method for doing the outside cowl vents was to alternate gluing tall and short piece of plastic or acetate to get correct spacing and create depth. Then glue into hole from below to get 3D effect. You could cut the taller pieces at an angle to get the directional effect.

Very nice workspace, by the way.😀

• Thanks 1

Thanks Les for your message!

Could you show me, with the photo I ever made (lightly decentered) the color change you can do with this app, please, turning it in Cobalt Blue?

Then I could ask Bernard to do that pic for me, or even go see him and do the pic myself (if we may remove the round support (for GPS, maybe), it would still be better). 

I must say that I could get (I hope so) the desired pics from P. Serpagli or J.P Versini in the meantime, but knowing that I can do without is reassuring.

The other aspect of your message seems to be very interesting too, but it is a bit abstract for me. If you could post photos of this method step by step here, it would be great. Indeed, I wonder if the decal alone (2D, necessarily) will be realistic enough to represent this area.

And thanks for the kind comment about the workspace. Yes, I know I am lucky to have this space for my workbench, the only drawback is that it is in my garage (no car in my garage) , and most of the time (except in summer and yet, only at favorable hours - afternoon, mainly, my garage being exposed northwest-), I work under artificial light (neons and this led spot ramp I added over the bench you can see below). Ergonomic is something interesting for me, and it is much pleasant to do my hobby in functional, well thought out conditions. And I invite other modelers to show their workbench too, it may give good ideas, and reveals probably the style of each one of us (show me your bench, I'll tell you who you are 😉).

Cheers, Olivier

P.S: I can send you the original pic by e-mail for the color change trial. Send me a PM for that if you agree...

spacer.png

• Like 3

Hello chaps,

Good new, Patrick just phoned me and I explained him what I needed. He has in his garage a Mustang 1966 with the same air and hp inlet in Blue. I have just got the pic by e-mail, it is very good as you can see, but as you may notice that the HP are totally invisible, certainly because he didn't use a flash (the pic seems to have been done outdoor):

spacer.png

On the one I made on Bernard's car in november 2018, the HP are very visible because the pic was made in his dark garage, with my IPhone's flash. I asked Eric (the photographer) if he could make the same pic (very well centered and good distance) with a flash, so that I will choose the one I prefer. Maybe it is more logical that the HP are invisible but I like it when we may discern them (this recall me the question of rosettes shadow visible or not through the linen canvas on my Nieuport 11 (Jeroen and Biggu who followed this build will understand what I mean...).

I also asked Eric if he could put the left windscreen wiper in raised position, as it interferes a bit on the grille (I know, I am annoying...)

Anyway, I obviously thank very much Patrick and Eric (and CC, again, who found the Patrick e-mail adress), who were very fast to provide me what I needed. It has not always been like that in the past, and it is very appreciable.

Cheers, Olivier

P.S: it is a detail but notice that the recessed area is a bit different on this version, compared with Bernard's one (maybe because this is a 1966 model). On Bernard dash cap, there is a slope with a trapezoid shape around the grille, while here, this slope is missing. If I choose to represent this grille, I even don't need to create a recessed area (or so few) imho...

Edit a bit later, after printing of the pic (resized) on the Holi clear custom decal sheet:

spacer.png

• Like 2

Thanks, Harvey, me too... Yes, I think it will be a good compromise indeed, especially if you consider that this grille takes place behind the windscreen. Such an option would have been not acceptable imho for the outside air inlet, fe...

An option that is definitely better than keeping the totally wrong AMT « grille », anyway, imho...

Though, I also look forward to understand what Les meant in his post# 791. If there is a way to get a better result with a 3D effect, I am interested of course...

Cheers, O

• Like 1

spacer.png

You could ever see 2 of these 5 buttons in a previous post (# 765 p. 31). Here are the radio settings ones. As ever said, every detail in this car is complex to represent and a little piece of (pop) art. To represent these buttons, I had first just added a rivet over the AMT short ones (post# 714, p. 29), but it is not acceptable when I see these long and complex buttons, I must improve that aspect...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Quite important corrections are necessary on these WW areas, as you can see... 

Cheers, thanks for watching

Olivier

• Like 4

On 6/20/2020 at 8:40 AM, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Hello chaps,

Good new, Patrick just phoned me and I explained him what I needed. He has in his garage a Mustang 1966 with the same air and hp inlet in Blue. I have just got the pic by e-mail, it is very good as you can see, but as you may notice that the HP are totally invisible, certainly because he didn't use a flash (the pic seems to have been done outdoor):

spacer.png

On the one I made on Bernard's car in november 2018, the HP are very visible because the pic was made in his dark garage, with my IPhone's flash. I asked Eric (the photographer) if he could make the same pic (very well centered and good distance) with a flash, so that I will choose the one I prefer. Maybe it is more logical that the HP are invisible but I like it when we may discern them (this recall me the question of rosettes shadow visible or not through the linen canvas on my Nieuport 11 (Jeroen and Biggu who followed this build will understand what I mean...).

I also asked Eric if he could put the left windscreen wiper in raised position, as it interferes a bit on the grille (I know, I am annoying...)

Anyway, I obviously thank very much Patrick and Eric (and CC, again, who found the Patrick e-mail adress), who were very fast to provide me what I needed. It has not always been like that in the past, and it is very appreciable.

Cheers, Olivier

P.S: it is a detail but notice that the recessed area is a bit different on this version, compared with Bernard's one (maybe because this is a 1966 model). On Bernard dash cap, there is a slope with a trapezoid shape around the grille, while here, this slope is missing. If I choose to represent this grille, I even don't need to create a recessed area (or so few) imho...

Edit a bit later, after printing of the pic (resized) on the Holi clear custom decal sheet:

spacer.png

On 6/20/2020 at 1:44 AM, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Thanks Les for your message!

Could you show me, with the photo I ever made (lightly decentered) the color change you can do with this app, please, turning it in Cobalt Blue?

Then I could ask Bernard to do that pic for me, or even go see him and do the pic myself (if we may remove the round support (for GPS, maybe), it would still be better). 

I must say that I could get (I hope so) the desired pics from P. Serpagli or J.P Versini in the meantime, but knowing that I can do without is reassuring.

The other aspect of your message seems to be very interesting too, but it is a bit abstract for me. If you could post photos of this method step by step here, it would be great. Indeed, I wonder if the decal alone (2D, necessarily) will be realistic enough to represent this area.

And thanks for the kind comment about the workspace. Yes, I know I am lucky to have this space for my workbench, the only drawback is that it is in my garage (no car in my garage) , and most of the time (except in summer and yet, only at favorable hours - afternoon, mainly, my garage being exposed northwest-), I work under artificial light (neons and this led spot ramp I added over the bench you can see below). Ergonomic is something interesting for me, and it is much pleasant to do my hobby in functional, well thought out conditions. And I invite other modelers to show their workbench too, it may give good ideas, and reveals probably the style of each one of us (show me your bench, I'll tell you who you are 😉).

Cheers, Olivier

P.S: I can send you the original pic by e-mail for the color change trial. Send me a PM for that if you agree...

spacer.png

• Like 1

spacer.png

A 2nd coat will certainly be necessary (the WW, very light, has a low covering power).

P.S: Lvp, you seem to have had problems with your 2 last posts (quote without any comment), could you remove them please? Btw, I got your PM, thanks. I am now waiting for your 3D effect tuto...

• Like 2