Ford Mustang 1964 1/2 Convertible 1/16 from the Coupe AMT kit: the Indy 500 Pace Car

Olivier, scale modelling is just like real life: 

- Everyone thinks he 'knows' better than the other;

- Such 'advanced knowledge' is usually powerfully substantiated and defended;

- The 'advanced knowledge' is often based on cliches, which may or may not be wrong;

- The best pilots are ashore;

- Whereas in one contest a model is heavily criticized, in the other contest the model may win 'best of show'. Taste varies from country to country, from club to club, from individual to individual.

I am aware that the above description fully applies to myself as well. I'm no better than any other and my opinion is just an opinion. 

What to do then, you being in your own shoes? I'd say just build for yourself and make up your own mind about these things. Weigh arguments, implement them and let the model speak for itself. Those who don't like it will survive the shock :)  

• Like 3

I agree with you, Roy, and Lafontaine, in his great fable: "le meunier, son fils et l'âne" tells a funny story with the following conclusion: whatever you do, some will say it is not the right way. So do what you think, follow your own ideas... what doesn't  mean not hear other opinions and being unable to change his mind, of course...  ;)

For my Ford Mustang, and more precisely the Chrome parts, I am anyway unable to get the same mirror effect as a real 1:1 Chrome part. The result I can get, shown in the short video above, is imho quite convincing, with though a very good shine and I hope in accordance with Colin's and yours opinions on that matter.

Le meunier, son fils et l'âne

J'ai lu dans quelque endroit qu'un Meunier et son fils,

L'un vieillard, l'autre enfant, non pas des plus petits,

Mais garçon de quinze ans, si j'ai bonne mémoire,

Allaient vendre leur Ane, un certain jour de foire.

Afin qu'il fût plus frais et de meilleur débit,

On lui lia les pieds, on vous le suspendit;

Puis cet homme et son fils le portent comme un lustre.

Pauvres gens, idiots, couple ignorant et rustre.

Le premier qui les vit de rire s'éclata.

Quelle farce, dit-il, vont jouer ces gens-là?

Le plus âne des trois n'est pas celui qu'on pense.

Le Meunier à ces mots connaît son ignorance;

Il met sur pieds sa bête, et la fait détaler.

L'Ane, qui goûtait fort l'autre façon d'aller,

Se plaint en son patois. Le Meunier n'en a cure.

Il fait monter son fils, il suit, et d'aventure

Passent trois bons Marchands. Cet objet leur déplut.

Le plus vieux au garçon s'écria tant qu'il put:

Oh là! oh! descendez, que l'on ne vous le dise,

Jeune homme, qui menez Laquais à barbe grise.

C'était à vous de suivre, au vieillard de monter.

- Messieurs, dit le Meunier, il vous faut contenter.

L'enfant met pied à terre, et puis le vieillard monte,

Quand trois filles passant, l'une dit: C'est grand'honte

Qu'il faille voir ainsi clocher ce jeune fils,

Tandis que ce nigaud, comme un Evêque assis,

Fait le veau sur son Ane, et pense être bien sage.

- Il n'est, dit le Meunier, plus de Veaux à mon âge:

Passez votre chemin, la fille, et m'en croyez.

Après maints quolibets coup sur coup renvoyés,

L'homme crut avoir tort, et mit son fils en croupe.

Au bout de trente pas, une troisième troupe

Trouve encore à gloser. L'un dit: Ces gens sont fous,

Le Baudet n'en peut plus; il mourra sous leurs coups.

Hé quoi! charger ainsi cette pauvre bourrique!

N'ont-ils point de pitié de leur vieux domestique?

Sans doute qu'à la Foire ils vont vendre sa peau.

- Parbieu, dit le Meunier, est bien fou du cerveau

Qui prétend contenter tout le monde et son père.

Essayons toutefois, si par quelque manière

Nous en viendrons à bout. Ils descendent tous deux.

L'Ane, se prélassant, marche seul devant eux.

Un quidam les rencontre, et dit: Est-ce la mode

Que Baudet aille à l'aise, et Meunier s'incommode?

Qui de l'âne ou du maître est fait pour se lasser?

Je conseille à ces gens de le faire enchâsser.

Ils usent leurs souliers, et conservent leur Ane.

Nicolas au rebours, car, quand il va voir Jeanne,

Il monte sur sa bête; et la chanson le dit.

Beau trio de Baudets! Le Meunier repartit:

Je suis Ane, il est vrai, j'en conviens, je l'avoue;

Mais que dorénavant on me blâme, on me loue;

Qu'on dise quelque chose ou qu'on ne dise rien;

J'en veux faire à ma tête. Il le fit, et fit bien.

Quant à vous, suivez Mars, ou l'Amour, ou le Prince;

Allez, venez, courez; demeurez en Province;

Prenez femme, Abbaye, Emploi, Gouvernement:

Les gens en parleront, n'en doutez nullement.

Here is a link for an English version:

https://fablesofaesop.com/the-miller-his-son-and-their-bottom.html

• Like 1

Other people´s opinions are not really relevant for those who seek the truth .They must get percepted of course and are helpful in many cases but also very often are hindrances . They are influenced a lot by evil actors in the background . The deep core of truth and reality cannot get accessed by us mortals .Therefore the way should be the goal .

The miller and his son survived at least and the poor animal drowned .

If I think about the planned  destruction of our European culture , maybe the donkey´s fate is a better one  compared to miller and son .

Many greetings !  Hannes

After Lafontaine, I borrow to Serge Gainsbourg some song lyrics (Le poinçonneur des Lilas). I think about the stamper who had to punch tickets in buses all day long... I hope the result will be acceptable at the end, because this method to see through the slots is really boring and painstaking... Model making is often a thankless discipline!

4H0cMF.jpg

• Like 2

Very impressive project I will keep a close eye on it. I have the same kit in the stash (an older reissue I believe with the yellow car on the box) which I plan on building one day. I am a huge fan of the Mustang from the '60s. People have told me the kit is inaccurate which you have also pointed out but since 100% accuracy is not very important to me I am sure I will enjoy building it anyway. I always get a special feeling in my stomach when I see a Mustang convertible cruising by on a nice summer day, hopefully it will be me one day. :)

Your chrome investigation deserves its own thread so people can find it more easily it was very helpful to me. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot dbostream for your kind comments. I hope this thread will tempt you to build the kit you have in your stash.

Like you, I am a fan and like you, I would like to be the happy owner of a 60's Convertible version of the Pony car. 

Cheers

Olivier

The option to create the slots involves to take care of the background under (through) them:

R4QCsq.jpg

Finally a lot of work for this option, while a "trompe l'oeil" technique (wash Black in the recessed slots of the AMT part) could give nearly the same result very easily and fastly. But I don't regret, considering the latter option, acceptable for a 1/24 build, would be a debatable compromise at the 1/16 scale.

ijDUhL.jpg

I used my 2nd kit to show the difference between the slots following the used method:

XudmDN.jpg

Not useless to show (again?) the air inlet on the real car:

Vtvnh5.jpg

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
adding
  • Like 2

You were absolutely correct to open up the slots. Yes, it may be time consuming, but well worth the effort of "going the extra mile" imho!

Great result, dear Olivier. I think you might need to give the first 3 slots on the left a bit of a tickle, if you don't mind me saying, but other than that …..

A GREAT BIG :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: from me!!!

Cheers, H

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot Harvey for your kind comments always very encouraging. Thank you too Hannes for being always here encouraging me with your « likes » that show you follow my thread with interest despite the bad opinion you have (and it is your absolute right!) towards the Ford Mustang.

But sorry, Harvey, I didn’t understand the expression « a bit of a tickle » and my Reverso translator is unable to help me. I see it is a suggestion to improve the 3 slots on the left. A small drawing would help. 

More, would you (or Hannes, or someone else) have a suggestion (without taking too much risks...) to represent the recessed areas around the slots (see my third pic on the post# 259)? I am a bit frustrated not to have represented them...

Cheers

Olivier

• Like 1

" A bit of a tickle"(slang).....fine tuning, tidying etc.:D

My only suggestion for the recesses would be to very carefully cut out the entire rectangle of slots with the finest blade you can.

- Then, replace the slotted piece and using a bit of tape or something (blu-tack, maybe) underneath, you can allow the panel to "sink " a fraction, then run some liquid cement around.

-The only thing to do then, is create the separations with thin strips of styrene.

Keep up the good work, matey!

Cheers, H

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Harvey,

I found out your reply (thanks!!) while I had ever thought and set up the solution below:

LdaUIO.jpg

Your hint suggests a different solution, maybe better than mine. In any case, it will be a delicate job, but I think I am on the good way...

Cheers

Olivier

P.S: Tuning and tidying, OK, understood, yes, I will try to improve the slots after the recessed areas job... Notice that the photo shows the first group of slots, on which my solution was just applied, without having "given a bit of a tickle"... :D

P.S 2: Of course, the careful movement is done by hand, holding the black arm and not using the motorized Proxxon sanding tool!

• Like 2

It is the first time I try to pour from a can in order to apply the can paint with my airbrush. I saw videos on YouTube, but developed my own method, hoping it will be OK:

0cnHKj.jpg

uJwuRb.jpg

cEwWJy.jpg

zd1HxR.jpg

More soon on this matter...

Furthermore, I made a dry fit assembly of my front bumper after having lengtened it on the sides (see above) and prepared the body surfaces in this area:

4NsTgW.jpg

wh2ycf.jpg

In the same time, I go on improving the air inlet slots in front of the windshield. They are more and more convincing and thin. More soon...

Thanks for watching, comments and hints welcome, especially if you have experienced the transfer of paint can/ bottle...

Olivier

• Like 2

Thanks a lot Roy!

Phew! I have succeeded (not without difficulty) to pour a part of the content of the Pecamax can. I should have enough paint (about 30 ml) for the body painting job. The tube was not a good idea, the pressure was too high in such a narrow hole. I have removed it throughout the pouring, because there was more paint outside my bottle than inside!!  :D

The paint has been put from the bottle into a little flask using a funnel.

I will be far from my workbench for a few days (little escape), I will do trials with this paint and my airbrush when back home.

Cheers to all

Olivier

Nice one , Olivier!!!!

If you don't mind me saying so, though....on the last pic, the left side of the bumper looks WAY fatter and shorter than the other. It may just be the camera angle (or maybe my eyes lol), but,  I think  they need a bit of "tickling" :lol: to even each side up.

I feel a bit disillusioned and saddened at the moment though, by the total lack of input, comments and a bit of questioning and critique by many folks across the board (not just the car section).. The ONLY way we ever improve anything, is by being "pushed" and getting constructive feedback from all parties. 

Cheers, H

• Like 2

Dear Harvey , I think that many sensitive people feel insecure because they feel that dangerous times are about to start , that´s why the modelling hobby is not the most important issue for them  . Dictatorships and civil wars are about to arise  and according the plans of some European and American  elites and the UN  the native Europeans will vanish .

That´s no exaggeration ! And I´m no conspiration theorist , no Nazi and no paranoid guy ! Look at the UN migration pact and the preparations for realizing this greatest crime in history .

Even if most people are still not aware of this threat , they possibly feel that something is wrong . This could be the reason for your observations imho .

I´ll possibly  leave Europe in the near future  , but I will build my model and stay connected with all my friends here in Britmodeller´s .

All the best   Hannes

• Sad 2

On 18/10/2018 at 01:34, harveyb258 said:

on the last pic, the left side of the bumper looks WAY fatter and shorter than the other. It may just be the camera angle (or maybe my eyes lol), but,  I think  they need a bit of "tickling" :lol: to even each side up.

My dear Harvey,

I am in holiday now (Edinburgh is really fascinating) and I take a little break to reply to yours and Hannes posts. As soon as I am back home, I will check the front bumper sides on your suggestion. It is possible (I hope so) that it is the camera angle that gives this perception, because honestly, it seemed to me that both sides had the same lenght and thickness or nearly so.

On 18/10/2018 at 01:34, harveyb258 said:

I feel a bit disillusioned and saddened at the moment though, by the total lack of input, comments and a bit of questioning and critique by many folks across the board (not just the car section).. The ONLY way we ever improve anything, is by being "pushed" and getting constructive feedback from all parties. 

I agree with you, and I appreciate any suggestion (as you made in your last post) that may help me to improve my build. Sometimes, an outside eye is useful for that, and it is the advantage of such a forum like Britmodeller to share doubts and not only praises. But, even if I feel that there was more passion (and consequently debates and critiques) in the Fiat 806 (thanks to Hannes and to others, I could avoid big mistakes on the latter) or even in the "Missouri Armada" (many contributors too, often very relevant, like Antonio, Biggles87, John Terrell, Juan Manuel Villalba, silberpferd etc.) threads, I deal with for this Ford Mustang thread, considering I am ever very lucky to have taken advantage of the Bernard help, and of good hints and suggestions from modelers like you, Roy, Hannes, Ron (silver911), MarcoF. and many other modelers that I can't mention here (too long).

On 18/10/2018 at 03:16, Hannes said:

Dear Harvey , I think that many sensitive people feel insecure because they feel that dangerous times are about to start , that´s why the modelling hobby is not the most important issue for them  . Dictatorships and civil wars are about to arise  and according the plans of some European and American  elites and the UN  the native Europeans will vanish .

My dear Hannes,

even if I share with you a worry about the political evolution in the world and in Europe (without forgetting the climate change), I don't think it is the reason of the decreasing interest for the modeling hobby. There are today many other leisures that compete with ours, like video games fe. I don't want to proselytise for model making, but I consider it is a much more creative hobby, with historical and technical considerations (among others) and that learns how to work properly. Another compete comes from the Warhammer fans, among whom there are many young people. Even if personally, this branch of model making doesn't interest me, it is a creative (if not artistic) hobby. So, "classic modelers" (military or civilian) have most of their members over 50 years of age* (I am personally 55).

On the other hand, I leave you the responsability of your comments on other aspects, much more debatable imho, I don't want my thread to turn into a political one. There are many other forums for that.

All the best

Olivier

* yes, Roy, I know you are younger! ;)

• Like 4

I´ll respect your opinion and will never publish a comment like this  again  , dear Olivier and sorry for the trouble . And I know that you also care about  what´s going on .  All the best !   Hannes

• Like 1

After 5 days far from my workbench, I am back again. 

The first thing I did was checking the dimensions of my front bumper sides, as suggested by Harvey.

Something else had hit me when looking at the photos of my post# 264: while I had used exactly the same painting procedure, I had not got the same mirror effect than on the video of the post# 238. Maybe Roy or Colin would prefer this version but I admit not me, especially for a quite big scale model like 1/16. And as the weather was wet when I was doing the painting job this time, I wonder if this did not affect the result...

H2Hwre.jpg

rL4W0x.jpg

... and reading the Tamiya instructions, I could notice that, indeed, it is not recommended to use at high humidity, something I didn't take care up to now... We get to learn every day and should read with more care (at least me) the makers instructions!

76HW3n.jpg

Conclusion: I will improve a bit the sides shapes and redo (one more time) the painting job... Holy patience!

• Like 1

The length must have been my eyes, then! :lol:

16 hours ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

I will improve a bit the sides shapes and redo (one more time) the painting job... Holy patience!

Patience that you have in abundance, my friend. It is a much needed trait for this modelling lark, 90%+ of all kits would end up in the bin, otherwise.:D

Keep up the good work.

Cheers, H

• Thanks 1

I consider now acceptable the result I get with the air inlet, and I made a first trial with the Pecamax paint sprayed with my airbrush. It badly began: I wanted to mix the paint (definitely necessary) in the small flask, and when I opened it, the paint has widely overflowed, requiring a cleaning of the floor in my bench.

Cio26e.jpg

Happily, the result of this paint (definitely very lively...) sprayed at around 20 psi was good, with a good covering. I recall this paint gives a mat aspect, and it is the varnish that will give the bright finish (like the Zero Paints, fe): 

iYyA1X.jpg

A moment ago (July 22nd), Bernard had kindly given me these measures to my request (in cm on his Mustang):

i57MPW.jpg

Transposed to the 1/16 scale, here are the measures of the windshield frame. For comparison (and to give an idea of this new challenge), I have mentioned the AMT kit measures. We can see for example that the upright should be about 4,6 mm width (more precisely 4,375 mm up and 5 mm low) while it is only 2,8 mm on the kit. And the same upright should be nearly 3 times more thick (3,75 mm instead of 1,36 mm)! 

ZPczqX.jpg

But before cementing (that I had cut to create the slots) and improving this frame (a scary step), I must be sure of the air inlet area. Yet it is not the case, I wonder if these twisty slots are not too long. Look at this (merciless) comparison:

kgTk8H.png

I have just sent a message to Bernard to get the good lenght for the inlet slots. Not at the end of my troubles...

• Like 1