Best 1/72 Hellcat?

Andre B

I don’t have the Eduard in 72nd, but its larger brother. It really looks good in the box, and I guess the smaller one will be very similar in concept and execution. Mine are Weekend Editions and cost less than ten € each. Assuming the smaller one is not more expensive, you will have to be lucky to get new Hase and Aca at a similar price (2nd hand may be different). You will not be disappointed with the Eduard neither in terms of absolute nor relative value.

• Like 1

I'll mention this as nobody else has, Wolfpack do a very nice wing fold set for the 1/72 Eduard kit.

I was luck enough to be able to order (2) direct from Wolfpack and be brought to Telford.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Denford said:

I'll mention this as nobody else has, Wolfpack do a very nice wing fold set for the 1/72 Eduard kit.

I was luck enough to be able to order (2) direct from Wolfpack and be brought to Telford.

Thanks,

That wing fold set do for sure look nice.

http://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/wp72061.html

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

Andre,

I am not a builder who is hung up by looking for every little inaccuracy within a kit so i cannot comment on that, which is what i believe you are looking for. If a lack of pose-able flaps is the only negative for this kit then it is hardly worth worrying about as i would expect Hellcats only used them twice each flight.

What i can say is, i built 2 1/72nd RN Hellcats from Eduard not too long after they came out. The first build was that easy that the second one practically jumped out the box and built itself!

Arabest,

Geoff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have built 3 Eduard 1/48 FAA Hellcats and enjoyed them all.  

The only pictures of on-deck Hellcats I have seen with flaps down are either preparing for take off or are landing and have engines running but that seems to be FAA practice - not sure about USN practice.

As another comment I think the control surfaces on the Hellcat were spring loaded - I have always assumed this meant self centring so off-setting them in an unmanned aircraft would not be right.  Hopefully someone can steer me right...

• Like 2

I've built 3 Eduard 1/72 FAA Hellcats - both the ones from the Dual kit and the Nightfighter. Excellent all round kits with no real issues. Far better detail than anything that's gone before it, especially with the etch parts from the Profipacks. I'm not sure what else you can say, they just are simply better kits than the others out there. I've built the Hasegawa and Italeri kits before and whilst not bad, the Eduard ones are better in every respect, they're even not that expensive either. I've not seen the Cyber Hobby Hellcat, which is supposed to be quite nice and has folding wings but you can also get several Eduard Hellcats for the price of one Cyber Hobby Hellcat. So no question - Eduard every time

thanks

Mike

• Like 2