RAF Coningsby 100th Anniversary Flypast Rehearsal

Latinbear

I've alluded to this visit on a couple of other threads and now the flypast has taken place then I feel free to publish the photos.

The Centre of Aviation Photography http://www.centreofaviationphotography.com/home arranged with Jim Robinson, the media officer at Coningsby for a small group visit on Friday June 29th when one of the flypast formation rehearsals was due to take place. In exchange we were asked for a donation with the entire proceeds going to the station's charitable funds. Even if most enthusiasts could guess at the formation's configuration the RAF were keen that the number of aircraft involved be kept as a secret in order to surprise the public on the day itself and to that end we were asked not to publish any photos ahead of July 10th or, if we did, then not to refer to the visit as a flypast rehearsal. It was a shame that the BBC's Sophie Raworth was unable to do the same. 

As you can see from the photos the weather was truly glorious but also created the problem of heat haze. We were also covered in horrible little black flies which seemed attracted to our high-viz vests. Of 35 aircraft on the ramp, 26 were to take off and fly 160 miles out over the North Sea to practise the formation. Technical issues delayed the take off by an hour or so. However, this was to our benefit as an instructor from 29 Squadron introduced himself to the group followed by the OC 1 Squadron and one of his flight commanders. All three had been involved in the planning and despite a very busy morning they spent half an hour talking us through the planning process and issues for the flypast and answering our questions. It was really very nice of them.

Once all the Typhoons landed we then had a look round the BBMF hangar.

It was a terrific day and huge thanks to Jim Robinson, his colleague Elaine for looking after us and the personnel of RAF Coningsby and Lossiemouth for helping us get the shots we wanted. 

1. When we arrived on base at 9am this Hurricane was carrying out an air test following maintenance earlier in the week.

AAA_8733 (2)

2. The sight that greeted us on the ramp. 35 Typhoons in total.

DSC_0268 (2)

DSC_0269 (2)

DSC_0288

DSC_0293

6. The Dakota taxied out for take-off but shortly after was attended to by emergency vehicles. It flew later in the day. 

AAA_8907 (2)

7. Not long after we'd arrived this Rivet Joint flew overhead.

AAA_8911 (2)

8. 41 Squadron Typhoon in the circuit.

AAA_8974 (2)

9. Jamie Hunter, editor of "Combat Aircraft" magazine was recruited to be the whip. His other jobs during the flight included filming for the BBC and takings stills shots. 

AAA_9033

10. Two Typhoons of 41 Squadron flew together in the morning. 

AAA_8963 (2)

11. Post mission tow back to the squadron area. 

AAA_8995 (2)

AAA_9026

AAA_8710 (2)

AAA_8708 (2)

AAA_8703 (2)

16. Ground crew walking out to their aircraft. 

AAA_9044 (2)

17. The formation pilots gathered outside 29 Squadron's building. 

AAA_9048

18. For some reason the pilots didn't take off for a good half hour after strapping in. 

DSC_0340 (2)

AAA_9111

DSC_0357

AAA_9252 (2)

AAA_9305 (3)

AAA_9263 (2)

AAA_9467 (2)

AAA_9212 (2)

AAA_9121

27. Flt Lt Jim Peterson the 2018 display pilot. 

AAA_9338 (2)

AAA_9391 (2)

AAA_9480 (2)

AAA_9498 (2)

AAA_9796 (2)

32. Once the formation had landed back they were mostly dispersed amongst the HAS's with only a small number returning to the ramp.  

AAA_9680 (2)

AAA_9516 (2)

That's it, thanks for looking. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Latinbear ... Thanks for posting. I hadn't really been interested in doing a Tiffy other than the Dk.Green/Dk.Earth scheme. Now i have a second scheme to do. Id like to build the Tiffy in photo #12 the “ Seek/Destroy” 100th anniversary scheme. 

It's a lovely scheme and the sunny weather really showed it off well. Glad its given the idea for alternative Typhoon!

• Like 1

Great pictures thanks for sharing. Really nice to see so many aircraft on the ramp at once. Very impressive sight, must have been a great sight and sound.

I do love a Tiffie :coolio:

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:08 PM, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Thank you for posting these- great to see so many Typhoons together,  I remember a Coningsby Airshow with a diamond of F4s-16 I think.

My pleasure - glad you enjoyed them. The one and only time I ever saw that many F4s in formation was the BoB commemoration flypast in 1990. Seems a long time ago.