1/48 RAF Phantom Stencils.

26Decals

ALMARK did a set yonks ago,(1995?)  that may pop up now and again on auction sites etc. but not aware of any available now-  If you can do a set for the Dark Green / Grey and one for the Grey/ Grey schemes I'm sure I would have a couple. 

2 hours ago, Troffa said:

ALMARK did a set yonks ago,(1995?)  that may pop up now and again on auction sites etc. but not aware of any available now-  If you can do a set for the Dark Green / Grey and one for the Grey/ Grey schemes I'm sure I would have a couple. 

Those are the only ones that I can think of, and I am sure that they were pure waterslide variety. I am not sure if Xtradecal will scale up their 1/72 stencil sets in the future, but there is nothing on their web site at the moment. Do count me in if you do a set or two.

Hi Ray,

There were also sets made by Airdoc and Hobbydecal. The Airdoc one was intended to accompany their RAF Germany Phantom sheet and had both Tactical and Air Defence options. The Hobbydecal FGR2 set only covered the grey scheme but they did include some on their 892NAS sheet that could be used for the RAF Grey/Green jets as well. The Hobbydecals are rub-down markings and so not for the faint hearted. RAM models were apparently also planning a sheet but this seems to have fallen by the wayside. The Airdoc sheet is now impossible to find having been out of print for a long time now.

Like Jabba, I'm half expecting Xtradecal to scale up their 1/72 versions as it seems that their new 1/48 UK Phantom sheets have done quite well so they may now consider it worthwhile. I'd love to see a stencil sheet - especially for the Grey/Green scheme. I've several jets planned which would need stencils so I'd definitely be interested in a few sets of both versions if you decide to do some.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 26Decals said:

Thanks guys for the replies.

I think I'll wait a bit to see if Xtradecal scale theirs up to 1/48.

I did email Hannants a few weeks ago regarding upscaling the 1/72 stencils to 1/48. 

The reply I got was there is insufficient demand and available kits to justify releasing them in 1/48 :(

• 2 weeks later...

nothing wrong with the Hobbydecal rub-down ones. You just need patience but they are superb when being used and also look so real afterwards. I've used their JASDF blue Phantom sheet

andy

Hobbydecal have been dormant for a couple of years now, which is a shame as the sheets I have are superb.

If you decide to proceed, be sure to include the panel numbers, as not all stencils bother to include them.

I could certainly use both the tactical and air defence options in 1/48th, and keep your artwork handy as a 1/32 kit is in  development by Hong Kong Models

and will become the main focus of their efforts once their big Lancaster is in the shops by the last quarter of this year.

On 7/12/2018 at 9:54 AM, chrisrope said:

I did email Hannants a few weeks ago regarding upscaling the 1/72 stencils to 1/48. 

The reply I got was there is insufficient demand and available kits to justify releasing them in 1/48 :(

So if the Phantom kits follow the examples of recent Airfix Defiants and Blenheims, we can look forward to some 1/48 Tooms in the early 2020s...

1 hour ago, Steve Coombs said:

So if the Phantom kits follow the examples of recent Airfix Defiants and Blenheims, we can look forward to some 1/48 Tooms in the early 2020s...

The shapes of the Airfix Spey Phantom are far superior to the Japanese kits such as the Fujimis in 1/72 and the Hasegawa versions in 1/48, which are now - what? - 30 years old?

In many ways (the lack of intake louvres for example) the 1/72 kit strikes me as a test prototype for a larger model, so I'd be glad to see it scaled up to 1/48 version.

The extended nose gear leg and leading and trailing edge flaps are a very nice and worthwhile options, but I wouldn't miss the radar at all if it were omitted.

On 7/25/2018 at 9:07 PM, Reparty said:

The shapes of the Airfix Spey Phantom are far superior to the Japanese kits such as the Fujimis in 1/72 and the Hasegawa versions in 1/48, which are now - what? - 30 years old?

In many ways (the lack of intake louvres for example) the 1/72 kit strikes me as a test prototype for a larger model, so I'd be glad to see it scaled up to 1/48 version.

The extended nose gear leg and leading and trailing edge flaps are a very nice and worthwhile options, but I wouldn't miss the radar at all if it were omitted.

The Radar will be deleted on the FGR.2 version when it is released.

On 7/25/2018 at 7:51 PM, Steve Coombs said:

Not necessarily - they haven't 'upscaled' the Swift, Tiger Moth or Typhoon, nor have they done a new Harrier GR1/3 to replace their ancient one, or a new fabric wing Hurricane....

Even worse, they still haven't reduced their excellent Sea Vixen and Javelin down to the One True Scale!!

On 7/25/2018 at 9:07 PM, Reparty said:

The shapes of the Airfix Spey Phantom are far superior to the Japanese kits such as the Fujimis in 1/72

But the panel lines are far worse, completely lacking the finesse of the Fujimi kit...

Back on topic, Maintrack also did a large 1/48 scale dry transfer sheet that included (IIRC) all the British Toom squadrons and include a fair bit of stencilling. I suspect it might be easier to find some mythical hens teeth than one of them these days though.

Keith