Modelling In The Sunshine

I was in 2 minds whether this was a WIP subject or Armour Chat.  Went with WIP.

In another thread I mentioned that the weather was far too nice to be stuck indoors modelling, especially in a garage/cave with no windows and just daylight bulbs.  Then I remembered that somewhere under the workbench gathering cobwebs was a portable work area I built probably 8 years or so ago in my last house when my youngest son was heavily into Warhammer, so that he could build and paint at the dining table instead of also being confined to the garage cave.

And here it is in the light of day, devoid of many, many cobwebs, several insect cadavers and several mm of dust.  I cut down a new cutting mat from a lovey pink A3 one I'd acquired somewhere in a moment of dubious taste: it must have been really cheap......  So now I can model outside on the decking.  Next task - adapt it to fit over the lounger ..........

It's made just from 6mm MDF and 12mm square timber.  The base is 40x40cm and it's 23cm tall.  I'm lucky enough to have a really good old-fashioned local hardware store which cuts timber to size for you.  Give them the drawing or dimensions and they do the rest.  They do a roaring trade: not everyone can saw accurately.  I just cut the diagonals and the 12mm strips and sanded the edges.  It's all glued with waterproof PVA: no nails or screws.  The back top shelf unhooks for storage.  The hole in the lower shelf is for a plastic cup for brush washing.  Or putting files etc in while building.  Somewhere I have a clip-on Ikea flexible LED light that can clip on the side.

xU3JUoM.jpg uDowtVN.jpg

• Like 5

It's probably only an afternoon's work to make.  I now have both circular and jig saws so I might cut it all myself if I did it again.  If I can ever sell this house for an acceptable price and do end up moving South, my little helpful shop will be a 250 mile round trip........

Longest part was waiting for the glue to dry.  I used the fastest-setting waterproof I could find.  Clamps were necessary.  If you use short panel pins or fine screws instead you won't have that wait.  I was concerned about screw or nail heads causing marks on the furniture, but I suppose it could go on another mat or you could add felt feet underneath.  Drilling and countersinking sufficient small screw holes would be a task. 12mm strip will easily split if not pre-drilled. especially near ends.

I didn't bother with varnish or surface finish. With hindsight a couple of coats of spray varnish wouldn't have gone amiss.  Paint might have cleaned up a bit instead of staining.  I guess I saw it as inherently sacrificial.  Wear it out, make another.  I suppose you could use plywood instead of MDF, but MDF doesn't splinter.

I recall that the inspiration was seeing a similar proprietary product at £30+ and thinking that was expensive.  I think this one cost about a tenner.

19 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Tried it, didn't like it.....It's really bloody difficult to pick ants out of primer!  :wall:

Now that is super-detailing your diorama! Did you dry-brush and pin-wash them to highlight the joints in the legs? :D

• Haha 2

I don't think I'd paint outside.  Acrylics dry fast enough as it is!  In this heat the paint will set on the brush before it even touches the model...........  I read somewhere on another forum that someone adds a few drops of airbrush cleaner(!!) to his mixes to prevent nozzle gunking when it's hot.  Not sure I fancy that: some retarder, yes - but cleaner?  Must affect the paint, surely.

Having said this I often/usually spray rattle can primer or base coats outside when the weather is suitable.

I was thinking primarily of building, or at least cleaning up parts, outside.  I'm working on a resin Bedford OXA that needs a lot of cleanup and I was thinking that resin dust is better outside than in.  Still need mask and specs though as it may blow about more: nasty stuff.  When I'm working with resin indoors I stop frequently and vacuum up the work area with the hand held Dyson (other brands are available!) and then wipe over with a decorator's tack cloth to stop dust buildup.  Question? Why do we willingly work with so many noxious substances for our hobby?  Discuss .......

• Like 1