Expected Goose.....A 1/48 P-47N

Plasto

Hi,

I’m going to have a go at building Expected Goose....

43291261902_dc8f1017c1.jpg

A classic Ie Shima based P-47N

Im going to use the 1/48 Academy kit. 

43291286392_4c0e7bd7b4.jpg

I think the base plastic is reasonably good. The kit is the basis for the recent Academy ‘jugs’ kits... IIRC I have some replacement decals... But for the most part I’ll build it OOB...

I’ll dig the kit out of the Stash tomorrow for some initial shots... and look to make a start over the weekend I’m aiming for an OOB build with perhaps some belts and a few tweaks and some fun with the NMF...

Chur

Plasto

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 6

I’ve had a look in the Tamiya P-47M boxing and it yields a spare prop suitable for the N I think...

Here is the N prop  a  Symetrical Curtiss electric....

43373177891_a4f1d31a06.jpg

In most of the Tamiya P-47 boxings you get these props included....

42468779775_5375df1388_b.jpg

I think Parts 34 and 35 should do the trick...

Which is good as I have these bits to hand... Saves on AM purchases....

Chur 

Plasto

• Like 1

I also dug though the library and turned up a few P-47 related reference books..

Including  a useful ‘plan’ of the P-47N.... I also have a Bentley plan for the P-47 somewhere I’ll have to find it...

41564602590_ffd0fb66ba_b.jpg

41564602630_ba553c4520_b.jpg

That should be enough to get me going.... 

chur 

Plasto.....

• Like 2

The Tamiya kit contains the P-47D prop. The prop on the M and N had tapered cuffs as you can see in the picture you posted. If you want to use what you have, some plastic glued on and sanded to shape would do the job.

You can also rob the front end of the engine from the Tamiya kit.

p-47n-corrected-propeller-880-p.jpg

Edited by Tbolt

Well a snag has been hit..... In the kit I have wings for a P-47D but not the P-47 N wings... These should be on a B sprue... I have a G Sprue...

The kit is all bagged so I suspect the wrong bits in the box from new or some one has ‘borrowed’ the wings for another project...

So the kit as is cannot build a P-47N... I’m trying to work out if there were any late block P-47D’s with the N style fuselage fairing...

Chur

Plasto..

• Sad 2

That’s not good. I don’t know of any D’s with a N style dorsal fillet, but the M prototype had one fitted at one time and one which has an unclear photo, but looks like it had a higher dorsal fillet. Or you could modify the one you have, but the D style one does extend further forward.

Edited by Tbolt

I'm not sure that there were. Some -Ms were retrofitted with the -N fillet, according to the MMP book on the bubbletop. (Ah, beaten to it by Tbolt! Very little info in the MMP book, it's just one sentence.)

Edited by amblypygid
Read Tbolt's post

You could always file down the fairing into the D/M shape ? Im not sure but i think besides  the “N” wings being longer and different shaped, i think they were wider in chord as well? Compared to a “D”. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You could always file down the fairing into the D/M shape ? Im not sure but i think besides  the “N” wings being longer and different shaped, i think they were wider in chord as well? Compared to a “D”. 

As I mentioned the D fillet is a bit longer than the N one so you would have to add a little bit as well.

Pretty sure the chord of the N wing is the same ( obviously not the outer section though where the shape is different ) otherwise I've made a big mistake on my Tamiya N conversion ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.

I came to roughly the same conclusion the N type fuselage fairing is specific to the N. So rather than carve up the bits I’ll can this build and have a look to see if we can build something else. 

Stay tuned...

Chur

Plasto...