Some Like it Otter - IBG Models 1:35 Light Reconnaissance Car

Hi all, returning from my brief encounter with 1:72 vehicles, I have pleasure in presenting this my next challenge. I stand to be corrected of course, but to my knowledge there are no previous WIPs for this model, so I am still very much hacking through uncharted jungle with mine!

Another kit maker I'd never heard of until my recent visit to the shop at Bovington; indeed another type of AFV I'd never heard of until that same moment. I can't explain why I was drawn to it to the detriment of the many other fine kits they had for sale there, other than the box art was pretty cool:

Ab2y5tC.jpg

Unless anyone cares that much I won't bore you with sprue shots as they would be fairly numerous, and the instruction pamphlet could cause injury if dropped on an unsuspecting toe. Suffice it to say that on first inspection the moulding quality looks to be very good, with some nice decal options and even a smattering of PE thrown in for good measure!

Oddly enough, there doesn't appear to be much in the way of after-market for it. Black Dog do a stowage add-on set for it, but it's mostly bundles, boxes etc which I believe I could do myself with scrap bits and pieces.

At the time of posting I've not actually started on it, but the first opportunity I get I will do so and of course share my experiences with you good people.

Tally ho, Yellow!

• Like 5

• clive_t changed the title to Some Like it Otter - IBG Models 1:35 Light Reconnaissance Car

OK an inauspicious start, but at least it affords me the opportunity for some further observations. The wheels are fairly well detailed, with the maker's name and the dimensions clearly shown on the tyre walls:

XcoCtVY.jpg

Nice spare too, with holes for the securing bolts.

Now for the observations.

There are actually 3 sets of wheels of different sizes in the kit. I was somewhat confused at first, thinking that I had chosen to build yet another tank by mistake! Then, somewhat unusually for me, I looked at the instruction pamphlet before actually doing any cutting. Thankfully, right at the beginning where it details the sprues supplied in the kit, it very kindly informed me that two of the wheel sets were redundant (presumably they are intended for some other model). Even better, it told me which of the 3 sets I needed to keep!

No figures are included in this kit; as far as I can tell there are seat positions for 3 personnel. At this time I am not sure whether to be disappointed or not, as in theory the only person you'd see with any great clarity is the commander who would presumably be at least half sticking out of the turret. Like as not I can press-gang a couple of herberts from my figure spares box to fill in.

Ironically, there is a set of parts included which when completed will be a very good representation of the engine - which of course, will not be seen unless the thing is somehow modelled in such a way as to reveal it. There might be a justification for doing so if for example I ended up putting it in some sort of diorama where one of the crew were trying to fathom some problem with the engine. Still, early days yet on that.

So there we are, we're off and running!

Thanks for looking in :)

• Like 2

yeah, back in the world of plastic that doesn't need a microscope........:frantic::thumbsup:.......look forward to this one Clive, as you say; not something I've seen. I might recognise it from a documentary I may have seen on Normandy and the breakout....looks vaguely familiar. Can't have been many as I'd definitely remember it based on how many doc's I have watched..😁

Regards

Simon.

P.S.....Have to say, it's not the most prettiest looking runaround town........reminds me of the Austin Allegro....more aerodynamic in reverse.....:coolio:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This kit shares some parts with the C15 armoured truck and the basic CMP truck chassis, which is where the redundant wheels come from.  I don't know if the Goodyear bar-cleat tread provided is appropriate for an Otter.  Panzer Art offer 2 resin alternatives from other tyre manufacturers with very different tread patterns.  I chose one of these with a V tread for my as-yet-unbuilt Otter project.  If you look closely I think you'll find your tyres were actually made by either GOOOYEAR or GOODYEAP to avoid trademark infringement.  Why are such companies so greedy?

There were a few armament variations: LZ/Mirror models do a shield and mount set for putting a 50 Browning in the turret of their version of this kit.  Anything other than a useless Boys AT Rifle in the front loophole!  Bren with a drum mag or perhaps a 30 Browning in the turret.  Mine is planned to be an RAF one in the desert with twin 303 Brownings in/on the turret and a 20mm Hispano in the front loophole.

But you have quite a lot of colour choice with this vehicle.  You can have Tunisia, Palestine, Italy, UK and NWE schemes.  Italy can be attractive, with the official Blue-Black over Light Mud or less official Light Mud over SCC2 Brown, Light Mud over SCC15 Green (late 44 into 45 only), or 2-tone brown SCC1A over SCC2 all being possible.  Tunisia and Palestine would likely be plain Light Stone.  Post D-Day would be plain SCC15 Green or possibly Blue-Black over SCC15, potentially "Mickey Mouse" pattern.  UK pre-D Day would probably be Blue-Black over SCC2 Brown.

Apart from being butt ugly it was apparently a real struggle to steer.

As I've got one of these to do I'll be watching for Pooh Traps................

Edited by Das Abteilung
correction
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Simon, hopefully my eyes will appreciate the increase in size of the parts being stuck together this time! 

Thanks too, Peter, for the pointers regarding the tyre treads etc. I shall follow up on those leads.

*Edited to add: just checked some reference photos and you're right about the tread pattern being wrong - looks like I need to approach Messrs Panzer Art regarding something more appropriate :thumbsup2:

Edited by clive_t
Added a PS

Another nice project to follow Clive just looked at there web page and they do seem to have some other nice 1:35 models :think:

Regards

Richard

• Thanks 1

Thanks Richard and Ozzy, hope I am able to do it some justice. It's looking a pretty solid set of parts at the moment, I've done the engine block already, and aside from a few minor gaps (my shoddy glueing more than anything else I suspect) no sink holes or ejector marks on the visible surfaces that I have seen. Pic to follow later, hopefully :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

If you're looking for Panzer Art, they do an Otter stowage set too - if you like that sort of thing.  I can recommend their British fuel cans - 2 gal, 4 gal "flimsy" and "jerry" type - and their various UK and US ammo boxes.  Some of the UK artillery ammo box types were used as improvised extra stowage boxes on AFVs.

Black Dog do a stowage set too, more comprehensive and expensive but the large rear block apparently doesn't fit too well.  I looked at mine and it seems they fitted the rear deck panel back to front on the model they mastered from, so all the indents are in the wrong place!  Of course, knowing this you could build the kit the same way - it won't show.  Or just sand off all the surface detail, which also won't show.

Panzer Art is not the easiest to find in the UK, and I've noticed a drop-off in stock in most sellers.  I've been chasing a couple of previously-common items for months.  There are a couple of sellers on eBay: Wildcats Models spring to mind (but their eBay seller name is different).  Constrain a "panzer art" search to UK Only and you'll find them.  I usually get mine from Jadar Hobby in Warsaw.  Utterly reliable, genuine stock levels, good prices for European products (especially Eastern), reasonable shipping, no import VAT issues.  They've currently got the Dunlop tyres and the stowage set for the Otter in stock: but no Firestones - probably the more attractive.  But they currently have only few of the UK or US ammo boxes or fuel cans.

You could try Der Sockelshop or Modellbau Koenig in Germany.  Both also completely reliable.  With all overseas sellers, shipping per item can become more economical the more you buy. Single items can look expensive.

• Thanks 1

On 12/07/2018 at 08:26, clive_t said:

Thanks Richard and Ozzy, hope I am able to do it some justice.

Goes without saying Clive. Good luck with the build.

John.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Das Abteilung, @Hamden, @Carius and @Bullbasket for your comments, much appreciated. Very glad to have you aboard!

Not much progress really - other things (resurrecting my garden railway principal among them) are vying for my time.

The instructions call for making up the PE parts first but I skipped that page as I need to find my bending bars and a steady hand from somewhere. Next page was all about the engine - which may or may not end up being visible! Comprised of no less than 25 separate parts (including a bit of PE for the radiator cooling fan) it's a bit detailed! I managed a bit of it a few days ago, then managed to complete it in short bursts over the previous couple of days:

eqeJlvn.jpg

63ZVKtL.jpg

I had a distinct itching sensation in my palms looking at the distributor cap - it was whispering 'I need leads, and you know it' in my ear...

• Like 3

Hi Clive -it's a delightful build - I used the Panzerart wheels as I recall as there was some minor issue that the kit supplied wheels are too small.

I enjoyed my build so much that I bought another at the end.

Looking forwards to your build

Rob

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments Rob. No actual progress today, apart from ordering a set of Panzer Art Firestone wheels, with a more appropriate tread pattern. Hopefully they will be with me in time for the weekend :)