1/48 Spitfire VB

Soooo, after the flurry of activity to get the Mosquito and 109 finished I was on a roll...

It was a holiday up here on Monday (and the first day of the kids school holidays) so I devised a plan - of sorts ;)

I decided on this:

DSC_5692

Well - the spifire at least.

Based on this kit:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/163983-airfix-04100-1-supermarine-spitfire-vb

The newer dog fight doubles 109/spitfire are based on the new toolings but this one is old school...

So I decided to build it OOB AND use the little Humbrol tinlets (OK so not strictly speaking 1980's but you get the drift) - almost like back in the day when I was a nipper and the idea of waiting for the paint to dry before the "stickers" was almost unheard of 🤣

Parts after some primer:

DSC_5691

And some painting....

DSC_5693

and some glue:

DSC_5694

I say my intention has been OOB but I found that some spare canopies I had fitted so will build it with the hood open as the kit canopy has the windscreen then the hood/rear part as one piece.  Which leads me to wish I'd paid a bit more attention to the cockpit but very little will be seen anyway as the door will not be open.

So here's where we are now:

SAM_0131

The plastic is quite soft which is handy as it had a BIG overhang between the fuselage just aft of the filter and the wing.

Having said that (my fault) this is going together pretty well......

• Like 6

After hanging the spitfire to dry after some primer (I've run out of halfords and totally brassic this month so used some Plasticoat I had - used it before with great success but the white kind took an AGE to dry):

DSC_5697

On with some of the humbrol tinlets (and I found a set of vb cannon barrels I didn't even know I had!):  

DSC_5698

Today's modelling lesson.  Humbrol tinlets DO NOT airbrush if mixed with water (at least for me!).  Had to quickly wipe it all off before it dried in the (almost unheard of!) heat in aberdeenshire today.

The azure blue I'm not too sure about - looks grey to my colour blind eyes:

DSC_5700

But I do rather like the top colour:

DSC_5699

You can't really see it in the photo but there's a fair bit of variation in the well I suppose tone (3 coats but not done all over) so this might help to lend it a bit of a bleached kinda look...

In fact I've just watered down the azure some more and did another coat in the direction of the airflow so who knows - this may be my master piece! 😁

Must do something about the oil filler though.....

• Like 8

And she's done.

I forgot to take any pics of the progress after the "sand" coat.....

Didn't turn out too well but you live and learn ;)

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

And she's done.

I forgot to take any pics of the progress after the "sand" coat.....

Didn't turn out too well but you live and learn ;)

As per usual - you don't do yourself justice.  It looks great...

DSC_5715

I think it's the old story of 'the better you get - the more critical you become' - it looks brilliant.  Great work on the exhausts / super neat canopy framing / well behaved decals and to cap it all - a 'smashing' bit of chipping to boot.

What's next on the bench - at this rate you may complete the entire catalogue ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You are too kind sir! (Cheque will be in the post as usual 😆).

i just noticed i fitted the wrong windscreen - should be armoured.  And i lost the rear view mirror....

i have a mosquito (to be done as black rufe) and a tropical 109 left.

really wanted to do a stuka but the ones on fleabay are almost more than the new tooling airfix kit :(

I'm in the mood to get cracking on something else but it may be outwith the gb.....i have a monogram black widow that i've been eyeing up for a while.   Hhmmmm - wonder how much the 1/72 airfix ones are going for.......🤔

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 3

Blimey mate that was quick. Blink and it gets missed. 

She's looking rather fabulous. Great job. 

If you build the 109 and it's 1/48 I've found a resin seat today with belts and padding. It's yours if you want it? I'll never use it. 

• Like 3

On 21/07/2018 at 20:31, Antb said:

Blimey mate that was quick. Blink and it gets missed. 

She's looking rather fabulous. Great job. 

If you build the 109 and it's 1/48 I've found a resin seat today with belts and padding. It's yours if you want it? I'll never use it. 

Why that would be most generous of you sir!!! 👍

• Like 3

Just now, Lawzer said:

Why that would be most generous of you sir!!! 👍

Super mate drop me your address and I'll get it in the post this week for you 

• Like 1

Look's great Lawzer,

On 21/07/2018 at 19:23, Lawzer said:

really wanted to do a stuka but the ones on fleabay are almost more than the new tooling airfix kit

I can highly recomend King Kit for reasonable prices.

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/airfix-aircraft-1-48-05100-junkers-ju-87-b-2-r-stuka

• Like 2