RAF 100 Flypast Over Buckingham Palace

Latinbear

Along with thousands of other people I headed to the Mall for yesterday's flypast and after wandering around for a while decided to position myself just off the centreline outside the palace. In contrast to Alpha Delta's location as you can see we had a solid belt of cloud which hasn't made for great photos. I could have opted for one of the bridges to get some side on shots but I wanted to experience the aircraft overhead as well as see the Typhoon formation in plan and, not least, soak up the atmosphere of such a momentous occasion including the march past of RAF bands and accompanying personnel.

It was noticeable how much more excited the crowd became when the BBMF, the Typhoon formation and of course the Red Arrows flew over. 

AAA_0031 (2)

AAA_0047 (2)

3. I didn't take this shot. Instead I've culled it from one of those WW2 black and white aircraft recognition journals. 

AAA_0065 (2)

AAA_0074 (2)

AAA_0081 (2)

AAA_0124 (2)

7. I think the crew of the Met chopper had one of the best seats in the house. 

AAA_0156 (2)

AAA_0189 (2)

AAA_0248 (2)

AAA_0262 (2)

AAA_0283 (2)

AAA_0291 (2)

14. The first time I've ever seen the Queen or indeed any member of the Royal Family in the flesh. Had I been a BBC broadcast director and following the Corporation's style when it comes to events like this flypast then I would have posted 20 shots of members of the family looking upwards and four of the aircraft themselves.  

AAA_0319 (2)

That's it, thanks for looking. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, cybershed said:

Thanks for the pics.

And three F-35s actually made it into the air - some sort of record surely?

Have the F-35B got a maintenance then ? 

"The first time I've ever seen the Queen or indeed any member of the Royal Family in the flesh. Had I been a BBC broadcast director and following the Corporation's style when it comes to events like this flypast then I would have posted 20 shots of members of the family looking upwards and four of the aircraft themselves. "

And very pleased your not a BBC Broadcast Director sir as, that is, exactly what happened again of course Doh! 

So, hang on a second and lets back the truck up a moment folks?

Along with your very good self sharing these superb images with us, along with Delta's brilliant images also. You have both provided an infinitely better coverage in detail, imagery and viewpoints than the mighty BBC's utterly pathetic attempt to film a fly past yet again with months of liaising and planning and a huge budget no doubt. So folks, I will get off my soap box now and draft another Angry from Malvern letter the FT today asking why we all pay a licence yet again, then  I think and then I'm done. He,he .

Fabulous photos and many thanks for sharing with us. Nice one. Cheers sir.     

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, picard said:

"The first time I've ever seen the Queen or indeed any member of the Royal Family in the flesh. Had I been a BBC broadcast director and following the Corporation's style when it comes to events like this flypast then I would have posted 20 shots of members of the family looking upwards and four of the aircraft themselves. "

And very pleased your not a BBC Broadcast Director sir as, that is, exactly what happened again of course Doh! 

So, hang on a second and lets back the truck up a moment folks?

Along with your very good self sharing these superb images with us, along with Delta's brilliant images also. You have both provided an infinitely better coverage in detail, imagery and viewpoints than the mighty BBC's utterly pathetic attempt to film a fly past yet again with months of liaising and planning and a huge budget no doubt. So folks, I will get off my soap box now and draft another Angry from Malvern letter the FT today asking why we all pay a licence yet again, then  I think and then I'm done. He,he .

Fabulous photos and many thanks for sharing with us. Nice one. Cheers sir.     

Thank you very much for the kind words! I couldn't resist a dig at the BBC knowing how much they prefer to show the firm instead of showing us the aircraft. I did record yesterday's events but have yet to watch them. I'm sure that when I do get around to watching the footage I will be bouncing up and down in frustration!

• Like 1

"I'm sure that when I do get around to watching the footage I will be bouncing up and down in frustration!"

It was a fabulous event with great interviews from the veterans of various era's thoughout the morning right up to the fly past coverage, which I would avoid unless you want a good laugh as I'm still collecting up the banana skins surrounding my flat screen this afternoon. He,he.  The Queen's birthday, a Royal Wedding, maybe a brief shot of a strange thing in the sky called a plane might be allowed and forgiven. But this was the RAF's day and the RAF's Fly Past so excuses whats so ever for that debacle shown   

You most welcome but I'm not joking at all when you both did a far better job than BBC in my very humble opinion, so cheers again 

• Like 1

Nice coverage of the event and well done for for the time and effort made in getting a viewing spot in a crowd that size.

All valid points about the BBC reporting , better than some BBC aviation coverage but a bit disjointed considering that it was hardly a spur of the moment decision although that was perhaps down to the commentary team following their script while the live footage was cutting back and forward between formations past, present and future in rapid succession.

Nonetheless far better than their coverage a few years back of a D-Day commemoration flypast over Britannia in the Channel where the commentator described each formation which could be  heard passing overhead as the camera stayed firmly focused on the oohs and aahs of the great and the good on the boat.

Thank goodness that auntie Beeb is not involved in my three days of live streaming from RIAT this weekend.

Edited by Des
  • Like 1