Revell's New 1/32 P-51D

This is a nice kit of an early "D" Mustang. However it took a little bit of work to get it up to a better standard. Some of the highlights of the kit were the cockpit, the wheel wells, the positional flying surfaces and the lack of an engine (for those of us who like to button everything up) and decals. It was an enjoyable build and looks the part once done. 

76741396-4297-4794-946d-50fe32909792.JPG

1a5c6963-3767-4fdf-ba1c-ae004fa191ba.JPG

0f1ee052-1dc2-44d2-acb3-520729c2da34.JPG

b4384cfe-cd05-4fb0-94a4-fb2e3df0e3bb.JPG

ce7ea312-81d9-47b2-943e-3e31a28f0a8f.JPG

352d774b-bd3f-4e64-bbbe-801b5d27a977.JPG

39dd7f9e-df44-4ee7-b7d2-b29e34d7e995.JPG

• Like 67
  • Thanks 1

Very nicely done.

I like the scheme and subtle weathering. This kit certainly appeals to me over the Tamiya kit. However I have held back getting one as I have the Hasesgawa version in the stash.

Cheers Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 1

Great production of one of those WW2 thoroughbreds that just looked right. Have so far resisted the temptation to emerge from my BoB rut, but this makes me think a change may be due. Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Great P-51, do like a nmf with o/d. 

How does this Mustang compare to the Tamiya one, would you know?

Great work. :goodjob: 

Hi Jasper dog. I have a Tamiya P-51D in the stash, but haven't built one yet. Having looked at the parts etc, the Tamiya kit is head and shoulders above this kit. The Revell kit is nice, but you get what you pay for. The fit of the tail section was tricky, but fixable with sanding. The Canopy was a little off so had to be closed up. Most of the rivet and panel line detail was too soft and would easily disappear under a coat of primer, let alone paint. I ended up re-drilling rivets (especially around the nose area) and re-scribing a lot of the panel lines. The cockpit was exceptional and most details were nice. If you are not up for the price of a Tamiya tool, then this is a good option.  It does brush up well with some TLC.  For me this was a better option over the Hasagawa, Dragon and Trumpeter kits.  I am pleased with the end result. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Iran food value for the money, to be sure. It does lack some detail, and it’s not Tamiya kit of course, but I didn’t feel I wasted any money on this kit. 👍🏼

Edited by Habu12
  • Like 1

Nice job

Especially like the weathering effect, something I'm still trying to get on top of.

My attempts have always been too heavy and not subtle like yours

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent result made better by the fact that you have not overdone the weathering - therefore making your model P-51 look more realistic.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/07/2018 at 03:08, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great Warhorse from the Yellow Jackets :yahoo: Probably my favorite 8th AF Fighter group. 

Lovely build. The  " Bottisham Four "is the famous pic which includes this aircraft  and taken in colour! Some say it was painted a dark blue on the upper surfaces...  but that's another story. I bought this kit recently and haven't started it yet. Loved your 'restrained' weathering on this. It looks great, just hope i can do it as much justice as you have when my time comes.. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...