Miss Mutt, P-47D Razorback

Hi all, this is my second build of the GB, again using the simple plastic from the Academy Razorback boxing and decals from Kitsworld. 

Miss Mutt was flown by Lt Col Dick Rowland, CO of the 348 Fighter Group, operating in the SW Pacific (Papua New Guinea) in 1943. Here she is:

miss-mutt-and-ground-crew.jpg

(Copyright uncertain)

And the Kitsworld sheet:

resized_b77f2aca-16b6-4d7d-92bd-5d780b75

And some box contents

resized_d4beb3ba-f2f3-47bc-ac3a-6e118b44

As with my other Razorback build, which is stalled awaiting replacement decals, I will do the bare minimum on the interior; this is intended to be a swift build with the focus on the scheme. Fingers crossed!

• Like 6

This is my type for early P-47 to. I didn't  know about the decals. Now I know what looking for.  You know that this is an early D type, and it has different engine cowling flaps...

• Thanks 2

No, I did not (and I can't distinguish any difference from looking at that photo), thanks. In a brief online search, I can only find reference to the D incorporating additional cooling flaps when compared to the C model. What am I missing?

2 hours ago, amblypygid said:

No, I did not (and I can't distinguish any difference from looking at that photo), thanks. In a brief online search, I can only find reference to the D incorporating additional cooling flaps when compared to the C model. What am I missing?

When they got to the D-15 the two lower cowl flaps either side were cut back to increase cooling with the flaps closed, before that they were all full flaps. Many earlier aircraft were modified so you have to check your references.

I usually just glue a bit of plasticard in there.

miss-mutt-i.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tbolt said:

When they got to the D-15 the two lower cowl flaps either side were cut back to increase cooling with the flaps closed, before that they were all full flaps. Many earlier aircraft were modified so you have to check your references.

Ah, I see now. Thanks for setting it out. Academy do indeed provide the cut back flaps, and those photos show very clearly that they were full flaps on this airframe, so I'll see what I can work up. Maybe some aluminium from a drinks can will work; I don't fancy the tedious job of shaving down some plasticard to the scale thickness while keeping a square profile.

6 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Welcome aboard and enjoy your build

Merci, Patrice.

1 minute ago, Redstaff said:

Like the look of that scheme

It's refreshingly different from some of the high colour schemes, without being dull, I think. My other current build here is a NMF finish with invasion stripes, so both are not colourful while being very different from each other. The white tail will make this stand out, for sure.

I have a couple of Tamiya kits on the way from Japan, though I doubt they'll arrive in time to enter into this GB; the Razorback might end up with Squirt II to combine the OD/gray finish with invasion stripes. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

Ah, I see now. Thanks for setting it out. Academy do indeed provide the cut back flaps, and those photos show very clearly that they were full flaps on this airframe, so I'll see what I can work up. Maybe some aluminium from a drinks can will work; I don't fancy the tedious job of shaving down some plasticard to the scale thickness while keeping a square profile.

Merci, Patrice.

Just glue a rough cut piece if plasticard in there with the back lined up and sand the outside and aft to match, pretty quick to do, unless you've only got really thick plasticard.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

unless you've only got really thick plasticard

That's me, though I should check the supplies box to be sure. But it gave me an excuse to have a refreshing can of Chinotto  :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow, six weeks fly by. Sorry, I thought I'd posted a bit more than I had. Construction is done - OOB Academy so not of great interest as the fit is excellent. I tried several methods of sorting out the cowling flaps, didn't like any of them, and put the model aside to think. On returning, I discovered that my last effort was sufficiently permanent that trying to undo it risked destroying the cowling altogether, so I'm stuck with it. Please don't look too closely.

Base paint is on: Vallejo Model air for the OD and white, and Lifecolor for the Neutral Gray. The latter caused conniptions when a large gooey bit clogged my airbrush good and proper; I'm not sure whether it came direct from the paint tin, or whether it reacted to some left-over thinner/cleaner in the brush. A rarity for me: I pre-shaded some of the panels and the ailerons, and I'm pretty happy with the result. The white is intentionally patchy and will be touched up later, though I'm irked that I forgot to mask off the rectangle on the tail for the serial number.

resized_80944aa4-6c5c-47c3-ba86-259bf380

• Like 4

More progress shots from yesterday: decalling now done and progressing with the u/c and more vulnerable attachments. The matte coat that I brushed on the wings is streaky (and really not very matte!), but I fear putting varnish in my airbrushes, so I'm torn.

53a9e71b-3875-4d2f-bb29-238ea97d7113.JPG

resized_d4dbfe1b-0c51-4ba6-a0fc-1a03e7b9

87c7bb24-c117-446b-b148-eb1322cf9809.JPG

The Kitsworld decals behaved impeccably, but I'm not thrilled with the contrast on the nose art despite the opacity on those pale colours. The registration on the victory markings may also be slightly out, but I've only noticed that just now from the photos, so not too obvious unless you get real close to the model.

• Like 6

Looking fab and the tail white work is brilliant with good detail instead of a solid white. Good news too your decals bahaved as I’m due to put the other set of this down on mine

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Valkyrie. 

23 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Good news too your decals bahaved as I’m due to put the other set of this down on mine

Yep, no problems with them. The only criticism I'd proffer is that not a lot of space is left on the sheet and so it can be tricky to cut them out if your hand is less than steady.

23 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Looking fab and the tail white work is brilliant with good detail instead of a solid white.

That's good to know as that's what I'm aiming for. Having gone back and reviewed some photos of 348FG aircraft, they do actually look to have been kept surprisingly clean, so I might go over it with some more white to mute the effect a little. I need some time on the airbrush as I also have to paint the u/c doors with the belly colour, but I forget now which shade of grey I used! Hopefully this weekend.

• Thanks 1