RAF100 Flypast over East Anglia

Fabulous pic's and no need for apologies at all sir, as these are far better than the BBC's utterly dreadful coverage of The Fly Past in the end, with a idiot director in charge during the event, and it looks like you have far better facilities than the BBC currently as well. He.he Brilliant pic's. Nice one, Cheers

• Like 3

9Alpha Delta 210..

OUTSTANDING photography.

:clap2:

STUNNING shots indeed :heart::wub:

yes The Tornado  formation is SUPERB to see.. maybe the one out of formation wanted to be THE LEADER SO he was just misbehaving..🤭 🤫

good photos..Thank you very much.:clap2:

• Like 1

Liked all those Hawks!!!  And the Tonkas.    Agree about dodgy Beeb reporting showing faces of people we know too well and those we don't oooing and aaahhing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Liked all those Hawks!!!  And the Tonkas.    Agree about dodgy Beeb reporting showing faces of people we know too well and those we don't oooing and aaahhing.

Drafting my angry letter to The Telegraph right now, actually, sir.   

• Haha 2

Every flypast I've ever seen on the telly seems to feature more time focusing on the Royals on the balcony rather than the aeroplanes overhead. It drives me nuts.

I recall the Battle of Britain flypast in 1990 and the amount of time showing the family instead of the huge formation made me so cross. 

• Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

Every flypast I've ever seen on the telly seems to feature more time focusing on the Royals on the balcony rather than the aeroplanes overhead. It drives me nuts.

I recall the Battle of Britain flypast in 1990 and the amount of time showing the family instead of the huge formation made me so cross. 

It was the same when air shows were shown on telly.....

Am I the only one disappointed by the flypast?  To celebrate 100 years of the Royal Air Force surely more of the retired types could have been displayed. There are so many still flying in private hands that aircraft from virtually every decade could have been represented.  Imagine a flypast featuring the likes of Bristol Fighter, Hawker Fury, Gladiator, etc. right through to the Typhoon era.

A nice touch would have been to include WP903, The Chipmunk that HRH Prince Charles flew.  Still flying today.  A missed opportunity in my opinion.  As for the F35. That should have been left on the other side of the Atlantic. :wicked:

Just my feelings on the subject.

Chris.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, stringbag said:

Am I the only one disappointed by the flypast?  To celebrate 100 years of the Royal Air Force surely more of the retired types could have been displayed. There are so many still flying in private hands that aircraft from virtually every decade could have been represented.  Imagine a flypast featuring the likes of Bristol Fighter, Hawker Fury, Gladiator, etc. right through to the Typhoon era.

A nice touch would have been to include WP903, The Chipmunk that HRH Prince Charles flew.  Still flying today.  A missed opportunity in my opinion.  As for the F35. That should have been left on the other side of the Atlantic. :wicked:

Just my feelings on the subject.

Chris.

A flypast along the lines of the one you suggest would certainly have been a wonderful representation of the RAF's history but for practical reasons I don't think it would be feasible, at least not over London. Too many risks relating to older aircraft that might not have been maintained to the RAF's standards (the Shoreham Hunter is an example), private pilot qualifications and skills versus private pilots even if they are former military and I am happy to be corrected on this but don't CAA regulations prohibit single engine aircraft from flying over the capital? The Capital Radio traffic aircraft was always a twin.

A further obstacle is the complexity in planning a flypast a like yesterday's. Although I have yet to post any images (we were asked not to prior to July 10th) when I was at Coningsby a couple of weeks ago as the Typhoons were assembling for a practise session we had an impromptu briefing about planning for the flypast from OC 1 Squadron, one of his flight commanders and an instructor on 29 Squadron all of whom were involved in the planning process. I wish I had been able to write down all the information they gave us but suffice to say over the course of 25 minutes they effectively conveyed the staggering amount of planning required both in depth and breadth with consideration of every eventuality from weather to technical problems to emergencies, diversions etc etc. Not least of the problems is accounting for the different speeds of the aircraft involved and the tight timings that are required if a flypast is to be presented that looks professional. 

• Like 1

You're probably right in most respects Latinbear, I just feel that much more could have been displayed.  The timing to accommodate the widely varying speed ranges could have been managed by the implementation of a holding pattern out of the general area but I guess that had been taken into consideration and subsequently discounted.

I still like the idea though. :thumbsup:

Chris.