Get your Wingnuts Brisfits while you can!

Beardie

16 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

If I recall correctly WNW are owned by Peter Jackson, who while not a Native American speaker does at least speak New Zealand English like he was born here (he was, by the way). The operation is run from Wellington by other New Zealand speakers. Bear in mind that they are in a competitive market, and while they may want to let everyone know what they're doing next week, being beaten to the market by another player is a very good reason to stay schtum.

I should of been more clear.  I was speaking of the FB page where JimF had posted his question, not the company itself.

3 hours ago, dobk said:

I should of been more clear.  I was speaking of the FB page where JimF had posted his question, not the company itself.

Sorry! I know some of the guys at Wingnut Wings, they are really straight up and down people.

i suspect WNW produced the Biff in large numbers. likewise, SE5a... and that's why they took so long to sell out. 

i also suspect the RE.8 was a very small run and they were caught by surprise that it was a hit. 

all that's just reading tea leaves though. 

only hint i ever got directly from WNW was when Dave told me "yeah older kits may sell out sooner rather than later" or something to that effect. vague enough... 

• Like 2

I agree about the likelihood of larger runs for the SE.5 and Brisfit.  My guess is that the RE.8 was produced in a fairly large run too, but some part was held back for a special boxing - either as part of a future super detailed boxing range or as  a future Duelist boxing. It sold out quite fast (it was the first British aircraft to sell out). The other early kit that sold out fast was the W.29 and I'd guess that part of that run was held for the subsequently released Duelist boxing with the Felixstowe.  If I  didn't have one, I certainly wouldn't pay the £200 eBay price as I think that the RE.8 will reappear in the not too distant future.

Edit

Just to add..... The second WnW aircraft to sell out was the LVG. Again, possibly a fairly large run, with part held for the Duelist boxing?  Of the early kits I find it hard to believe that, if all the runs were the same and none were held back, that the RE.8 would sell out so fast compared with the Brisfit. Also, you see many more Pups and Tripes built up than two seater British aircraft and yet both sold out sometime after the RE.8.  The alternative hypotheses would be that WnW chose a significantly shorter run for the RE.8 than the Brisfit (why?) or the Brisfit is a significantly less popular aircraft. I find both of these alternatives less plausible than the idea that part of the RE.8 run is still being held for a future boxing. 

Edited by iang
  • Like 1

I do hope that you are right and the RE.8 makes a return at some point but I do think that you have to consider that the RE.8 also might have found a market among those who aren't normally WWI modellers or 1/32 scale modellers who really wanted to grab an kit of that machine. The RE.8 and the Fee, I think, are the rarest of all the machines in RFC/RNAS service to have been produced in kit form by anyone let alone Wingnut Wings apart from the DH.9 but that aircraft's performance and service career makes it a less desirable kit hence it hasn't sold out.

i'm pretty convinced that the two-seaters, in general, a) sell far more slowly and b) have MUCH smaller production runs. 

i got a peek at inventory on the WNW site, i think it was about last january. basically you order 999 of something and it would tell you, you can only order X. they fixed that, unfortunately. 

there were 112 Biffs left, 97 Early Fees, and 108 Roland DVIbs. only the D.VIb is sold out (the BIff is definitely close by all accounts). 

that said i really, really hope they reissue the Re.8, in a duelist or (preferably, at least for me) a Pithey and Rhodes ace edition with figures....  or kick off the long-promised super-detailed series with it... 

• 4 weeks later...