Get your Wingnuts Brisfits while you can!

Beardie

Thanks Beardie and as tempting as that is I am not going for one. I am not the biggest fan of the aircraft but more importantly I am never inspired by the PC10 colour of British aircraft. I realise that sounds a bit arbitrary but coloured fuselage and two types of lozenges are hard to beat. I have the F1 Camel and the big old useless AMC DH9  the FE 2b and the lovely Pup, but when it comes to starting my next WNW kit it is always the flashy looking German types. We all have our preferences. 😉 

Do you not fancy the 'slightly' post war crock or pike Brisfit schemes? I believe you can still get the decals from Fantasy printshop.

I already have two in the stash and one built so I don't feel the urgent need to grab another.......yet.

Got one last year, it's on my to do list. Maybe I'll open the box by the next world cup. 

Beardie, do you mind if I ask how many Wingnut kits you have? They fascinate me and I'm up to 8 now. 

Cheers,Martin  

@Martin Ford I can't say with any certainty as I've never counted them but I think it's around seventy or eighty, more if you count my three Jasta 5 boxings as being three kits each. Apart from a Heller Norton Commando, some Roden. Special Hobby and resin WWI kits though they are all I have in the stash as I sold all my 1/48 stash of Eduard WWI and various other WWII kits when I decided I wanted to concentrate on Wingnuts. A lot of those are 2 or more copies of a type and I still have a number that I need to add to the stash. I still need at least one AEG and have none of the seaplanes in the stash.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beardie said:

@Martin Ford I can't say with any certainty as I've never counted them but I think it's around seventy or eighty, more if you count my three Jasta 5 boxings as being three kits each. Apart from a Heller Norton Commando, some Roden. Special Hobby and resin WWI kits though they are all I have in the stash as I sold all my 1/48 stash of Eduard WWI and various other WWII kits when I decided I wanted to concentrate on Wingnuts. A lot of those are 2 or more copies of a type and I still have a number that I need to add to the stash. I still need at least one AEG and have none of the seaplanes in the stash.

Wow, that's wonderful ☺ a hell of a stash. They are certainly an exciting set of kits. I can still remember getting my first one. I can spend hours just looking at the boxes and browsing the instructions and Wingnut website. Things of beauty. 

Cheers

• Like 2

I'm on the opposite side, I guess :)

After discovering WnW, I was all set to buy all the kits I wanted to build. Too late :( 3 of the 5 I wanted are sold out. If WnW is just doing limited runs, and folks are buying them just for their 'stash', doubt I'll obtain the 3, so won't bother with the other 2.

I'll get a Felixstowe, (not one of the 5 I mentioned) as it's not done in 1/48, but the 5 are. I'll save shelf space LOL

Jim F

I came late to the party myself and a lot were already sold out like the Albatros D.V, the original Fokker D.VII kits and the RNAS Pup to name some of those that I recall. I stalked the halls of ebay (I never paid the insane prices), and had some very kind and very fair trades from other BM'ers which means that the only Sold Out kit I don't have is the W.29 Seaplane which I don't mind missing out on. If you take your time you can find people willing to let a poor fellow modeller have a spare from their stash without donning a mask and demanding two or three times what they paid.  

I also reckon that a lot of the kits will be re-issued in one guise or another. Wingnuts only say that they will never re-issue the same boxing so, unless the kit is of an aircraft type that has very limited history or lacks numerous notable users I reckon it will reappear some time. I can't see the Junkers D.I and Stahltaube ever seeing a re-issue once they sell out and probably not the Roland D.VI(a and b), Pfalz D.XII or AEG G.IV. All the rest have scope to be reissued in 'special' boxings.

• 1 month later...

Beardie, not questioning your statement, just curious as to what 'grapevine'? And how accurate? Just paid out for a Felixstowe, so a Brisfit buy will be a few more weeks.

And yeah, staying with 1/32, after struggling with a instrument panel in a 1/48 kit. Just will display less items :)

Thanks.

Jim F

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 9:34 PM, JimF said:

Beardie, not questioning your statement, just curious as to what 'grapevine'? And how accurate? Just paid out for a Felixstowe, so a Brisfit buy will be a few more weeks.

And yeah, staying with 1/32, after struggling with a instrument panel in a 1/48 kit. Just will display less items :)

Thanks.

Jim F

Jim, I saw your same question on the FB page but couldn't comment on it. I am very partial to grapes!

You do not have to work for WnW to know when a kit is coming close to being sold out. Once WnW tell the Distributors that kit 32xxx is no longer for sale to them then the writing is on the wall as they are keeping the last of the stock for their own website. That point was reached about 1 month ago for the Brisfit.

Duncan B

I hope that clears it up for you and please feel free to pass that info onto the Wingnuts FB page.

• Like 1

agree with Beardie on getting good deals on WNW kits from other modellers. 

for example i sold my Fine Molds Millennium Falcon in order to fund more WNW. turns out the guy who bought it on Fleabay (open auction, he got a painfully good price from me)... is a big WNW fan. sold me a biff and an OOP Albatros at better than i'd have paid for a new kit, and we stay in touch and talk about new releases etc. 

@Duncan Banything about impending sellouts beyond the Biff in the distributor channel? can i afford to wait for my second early Fee (wanna do an FE2d)? 

how about the Pfalz XII? Wahlfisch? Bentley Camel? they were kinda low when the WNW site let you peek at their inventory 'round about January....

Duncan, thank you. I figured I had bent someone's nose with my question, though wasn't sure in what way. And I was in no way questioning Beardie's statement, was just curious as to how or what the 'grapevine' was.

You've fully explained, makes perfect sense.

I've since found I probably won't be buying one, as it seems the RNAS didn't use them. Since I don't plan to just acquire WnW kits for a 'stash' (been there, done that in other hobby interests), and probably will never get around to building models of all the aircraft the RNAS did use, I'm just focusing on buying those. The Felixstowe will probably take the rest of my born days! LOL

Also have learned the Snipe came too late for the RNAS, so will sell that on at some point.

Thanks again.

Jim F

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JimF said:

Duncan, thank you. I figured I had bent someone's nose with my question, though wasn't sure in what way. And I was in no way questioning Beardie's statement, was just curious as to how or what the 'grapevine' was.

Jim F

I don't think you had bent anyone's nose with the question, sorry if my post came over that way as it wasn't intended. I was in a rush getting ready for a big model show so should probably have put off answering until I had enough time to compose a better response.

So to clarify, my initial statement wasn't based on knowing the exact numbers of Brisfits remaining but more from the recent trend with the other kits that have fallen by the wayside where WnW stopped supplying the Trade to keep the remaining stock for their own retail sales and then those kits becoming sold out fairly soon afterwards. This is apparently the case with the Brisfit as of just over a month ago so it's an odds on bet we are getting very near the end of the line. Not an exact science I agree but I would put decent money on the Brisfit disappearing in the near future.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Duncan, I just meant, it must have irked someone (owner or moderator) on the fb page, as it got locked after only 2 comments.

And your explanation/reasoning makes perfect sense. If my usual dealer told me that he/she had been told that the distributor they dealt with had said they can't order a particular model any longer, I'd assume it was sold out, or close to being so. That might prompt me to post the exact sort of message Beardie did.

So, not any sort of science, or even factual info, but the next best thing.

Jim F

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JimF said:

Duncan, I just meant, it must have irked someone (owner or moderator) on the fb page, as it got locked after only 2 comments.

And your explanation/reasoning makes perfect sense. If my usual dealer told me that he/she had been told that the distributor they dealt with had said they can't order a particular model any longer, I'd assume it was sold out, or close to being so. That might prompt me to post the exact sort of message Beardie did.

Jim F

Hi Jim,  Not sure why why discussion about the mysteries of WNW operations are off limits there.  English is not the owners first language and other English-speakers run the site for him as I recall.  Don't sweat it, if their ship is to tight just come here for a more welcoming atmosphere.

There is a certain black magic in guessing just when a kit will disappear from the Wingnuts range and picking the brains of retailers who order them in like DuncanB is really one of the very few ways to try and get a handle on what needs to be got quick. There is also the fact that the Brisfit is, if I recall correctly, the oldest kit from Wingnuts that hasn't sold out yet which I do find surprising as it was a very important aircraft and was produced in pretty large numbers. 

When I first came to the Wingnuts banquet several kits went Sold Out while I was busy raising the cash to get copies of them and I emailed Wingnuts to literally beg them to let me know which ones I should really be snapping up 'while stocks last' and they wouldn't tell me, not even a hint or a 'suggestion'. Struck me that it was a simple question and one that, as I would assume they have stock levels at their fingertips on their computers. I must admit that I wasn't 'feeling the love' from them. Everything is all 'Secret Agent' and it sometimes feels that they don't really care what the fans think but rather "This is what we do, buy it, don't buy it it's entirely up to you".

On 8/26/2018 at 10:27 AM, JimF said:

Jim F

On 8/26/2018 at 3:30 PM, dobk said:

Hi Jim,  Not sure why why discussion about the mysteries of WNW operations are off limits there.  English is not the owners first language and other English-speakers run the site for him as I recall.  Don't sweat it, if their ship is to tight just come here for a more welcoming atmosphere.

I hadn't noticed that the FB thread had been locked down, as I said I've been busy this last week with the preparations and aftermath of attending a big Show so haven't been 'online' so much. I only joined that particular FB Page to educate myself more about Wingnuts kits rather than to promote that I sell them so I don't really broadcast on there that I'm a Trader (I think that would be interpreted as being a bit desperate and a bit underhand which I'm not).

As DOBK says, right here is a great place to get any information and to ask any questions you like of the "Wingnutters", this lot usually know about new releases before I do!

Duncan B

17 hours ago, Beardie said:

There is a certain black magic in guessing just when a kit will disappear from the Wingnuts range and picking the brains of retailers who order them in like DuncanB is really one of the very few ways to try and get a handle on what needs to be got quick. There is also the fact that the Brisfit is, if I recall correctly, the oldest kit from Wingnuts that hasn't sold out yet which I do find surprising as it was a very important aircraft and was produced in pretty large numbers. 

When I first came to the Wingnuts banquet several kits went Sold Out while I was busy raising the cash to get copies of them and I emailed Wingnuts to literally beg them to let me know which ones I should really be snapping up 'while stocks last' and they wouldn't tell me, not even a hint or a 'suggestion'. Struck me that it was a simple question and one that, as I would assume they have stock levels at their fingertips on their computers. I must admit that I wasn't 'feeling the love' from them. Everything is all 'Secret Agent' and it sometimes feels that they don't really care what the fans think but rather "This is what we do, buy it, don't buy it it's entirely up to you".

While I appreciate that we're talking little plastic kits rather than the price of Tesla shares, I can understand that WNW could be laying themselves open to lots of accusations of 'insider trading' if they were to "advise" customers in the way you suggest.

On 27/08/2018 at 02:30, dobk said:

If I recall correctly WNW are owned by Peter Jackson, who while not a Native American speaker does at least speak New Zealand English like he was born here (he was, by the way). The operation is run from Wellington by other New Zealand speakers. Bear in mind that they are in a competitive market, and while they may want to let everyone know what they're doing next week, being beaten to the market by another player is a very good reason to stay schtum.

• Like 1

Beardie, your question to them 'may' have seemed like you wanted to know, in the hopes of buying up kits on speculation. A very noted model rail kit mfr, whose structure kits have always been limited run, would never state how many kits had been made, or how many might be left, for this very reason. True, you were asking with intent to build said kits, but others might not.

DOBK and Duncan, I had already come to the conclusion that this was perhaps one of the friendliest forums I have found, since coming into WWI aircraft modelling. There is not the sense that WnW kits are the 'be all to end all' that some other sites make them to be.

Dave, I seriously doubt WnW would be too worried about accusations of 'insider trading'. As I stated to Beardie, I'll wager it;s more they would prefer to see their kits purchased by modellers, who will build them, verses people hoping it will be part of their retirement portfolio.

Jo NZ, I believe DOBK was stating that the owner of the WnW Fans fb group is not a native English speaker (Portuguese, I believe), not the WnW company itself.

As for fb itself, I've never been a big fan. Although it has hurt email groups a lot, and forums to a lesser degree, it has never really replaced either. The modelling fb groups seem so much more about posting photos of one's latest build (and yes, some incredible modelling) for more of a "Hey, look at me, look at what I did" reason, than a 'This is how I did it" one. Add in the postings like one of the latest, folks showing off their hoard of WnW kits, and it really feels it is more a collector group, than a modelling one.

Definitely glad I found this forum, and thanks for having me.

Jim F

• Like 2

@JimF and @Dave Batt You might well be right about them being concerned about someone wanting to speculate on kit 'Futures' I guess. Still, I had hoped that my email to them had contained a suitable air of panic about not having much money and wanting to snap up copies before they went 'sold out' to save having to pay twice to three times as much per kits. One thing I have learn't from the Sold Out kits is that, while there are definitely people who see sold out kits as a 'nice little earner' there are also plenty of folks in the modelling world who balk at making money out of those who just want to get their hands on that 'must have' kit for their collection, whether to build now or just to own. I have had some terrific bargains over time from ebay with patience. In one instance I snapped up a DH.9, Bristol F.2b and Pfalz D.IIIa as a lot from ebay for the retail price of the DH.9! In another instance I bought a Hannover from a chap on fleabay and he contacted me to ask if there were any others I was looking for as he had copies of every kit but was selling them as he had decided to be 'sensible' 🤪 and only concentrate on his model locomotives. He sold me the Harry Tate for £135 and the Sopwith Tripe for, I think £95. I was overjoyed and my one regret is that I couldn't have afforded to buy all the others I was looking for. There are some true gents in our hobby who "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and I am eternally grateful to the ones I have met.

I can't deny that my stash of Wingnuts are a pleasure whether in box or built although I don't share photos of the stash as that's for my eyes only 😁 and I have never been the showy 'look at me and what I can do' type.

The fact that the kits do sell out is frustrating but, on a business level, I reckon it is probably fairly wise. On the whole the kits don't sell out that quickly (years rather than days) and, given that WWI modelling is, in reality, a very 'niche' pursuit I think it would be unwise to produce too many copies of each kit. The one thing I do find puzzling is the promise that they will never re-issue a kit in it's original form which is what the 'speculators' thrive on.