Kinetic's Mirage V

seadog

Always thought the Mirage V with it's needle profile was cool so I decided to have a shot at Kinetic's offering. There have been pretty mixed reviews, some seem to think it's, um, not very good while others rave. Generally, I like it, despite a bit of fettling and needing to add a fuselage spreader (a length of sprue, to get a closer fit to the wings. No biggie. BUT, as the piccie will show there doesn't seem to be enough nose wheel door if you're a heretic like me an put an occasional aircraft onna stick with the wheels up. Maybe I'm missing something but the instructions show 3 bits of door and I put them on to find there's a noticeable gap. It would seem that the main door is short. Anyone else run into this? I can, I hope sort it with a bit of plastic sheet and filler. But fer crying out loud. Any one else find this. Or am I just being punished for Heresy?

gear+door.jpg

Yep. As I said, I reckon from comparison between the drawing and the model (sorry, the photo isn't as clear as it might have been) I reckon the problem is the main gear door, or there should be a little panel aft of the main door, dunno. Anyway there isn't one. Wouldn't have noticed if I'd built it 'gear down'.

Seadog, mate

You happen to be missing one door on the nose landing gear doors; there are two doors which sandwich together while the nnose gear is down.

10880631835_be33280a88_b.jpg

Also, which Kinetic Mirage V kit is this? I've learnt that the gear wells on the two-seat cockpits differ according to its location forward under the fuselage.

Cheers,

Unc2

Hi,

I'm not sure how far you have got with your Kinetic build but a while back I put together a 'builders guide' based on my (and other modellers) experiences with the build sequence of this kit (especially if you use any kind of aftermarket with it). I'm not saying the notes are hugely comprehensive or totally authorative but the feedback from other modellers is that they were very helpful in getting the best out of their kits. If you would like a set, drop me your e-mail. Like the previous co-respondent pointed out the gap may be caused by the fact that some manufacturers mould two of the doors together. I have a Wingman Mirage 5F on the go at the moment (it will actually be a Mirage IIIEA) and I notice that the nose bay door is a three piece arrangement on Sprue D...Parts 22 (Front section), 29 (mid section) and 33 (Main section)...the latter will obviously need the integrally moulded strut removed before it is fitted in the retracted position. 

Cheers

Mark   

1 hour ago, Tiger331 said:

I have a Wingman Mirage 5F on the go at the moment (it will actually be a Mirage IIIEA)   

Hi there, Mark!

Could I purchase the Mirage 5F nose from you? I might have some nice Mirage IIIEA Low-Vis decals to trade as well. What say you?

Cheers,

Unc2   

6 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Hi there, Mark!

Could I purchase the Mirage 5F nose from you? I might have some nice Mirage IIIEA Low-Vis decals to trade as well. What say you?

Cheers,

Unc2   

Drop me a PM.....lets see what we can arrange

Hi guys, thanks for the input. I should have posted a higher res image! I have all three supplied doors in place, which is why I was  rather surprised to find I had a gap. On page 9, lower right is a drawing marked 'In flight position' Which I followed. I've patched the gap with a bit cut from a spare lower nose fuselage piece...and a bit of filler. Tiger 331, I've just primed it, filled a few anomalies I'd missed, sanded a re-primed. Just about to start painting it in the sand and brown scheme. Only after-market stuff is an Aries seat (the PE seatbelts are an absolute b*stard on the eyesight) and a set of decals. 

Uncle Uncool. Argentine!

Don't know whether I'll post it when it's done, I have a feeling it might not be up to standard :D

4 hours ago, seadog said:

Uncle Uncool. Argentine!

Don't know whether I'll post it when it's done, I have a feeling it might not be up to standard :D

Yeh, me is...!!! :lol:

Oh, c'mon, Seadog. How much not to standard could a 1/48 Mirage kit ever be? You should post it.

Cheers my mate!

Unc2