Revell 1/72 Spitfire VB worth buying or not ?

TEMPESTMK5

36 minutes ago, Phantome said:

Nobody has mentioned the near shake-n-bake Tamiya Spit VB which despite some minor accuracy issues looks the part IMHO (some will disagree).

People forget about the Tamiya kits because they are around 20-years old now. I believe the main issue is the shape of the wing but it's certainly not something that most people would notice and parts like the canopy/windshield, propeller, and wheels are done much better than the new Revell kit. Unless I'm mistaken, the 1/72 Vb has the Vokes and Aboukir tropical filters included as well.

4 minutes ago, johnd said:

You're right, I disagree! 🙂 The Tamiya kit is awful. It has shape problems to the point that it doesn't have the "look and feel" of the original and these can't be corrected. The Hobby Boss one is better.

John.

The HobbyBoss kit is not better. The shape and fit of the canopy alone is reason enough to avoid it.

4 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

The HobbyBoss kit is not better. The shape and fit of the canopy alone is reason enough to avoid it.

I was referring to the basic shape, really. The HB kit needs a new canopy, propeller and some undercarriage doors but the basic shape is sound, unlike Tamiya's.

John.

1 hour ago, johnd said:

The Tamiya kit is awful. It has shape problems to the point that it doesn't have the "look and feel" of the original and these can't be corrected.

If the 72nd kit is the same as the 48th, they can, but it does require some work,  though the 72nd maybe harder as the plastic will be about the same thickness.

I had a go at the 1/48th fuselage here

the pics are photobucketed.  but should be viewable with a PB embed fix on Chrome or Firefox.

the wings are not hard to fix, though that's not dealt with here. 

It does mean the tmiya kit is no longer shake n bake tho...

On 7/10/2018 at 11:08 AM, 72modeler said:

I would put it up there with their recent F4U-1A and F4U-4, which were both very disappointing. (I bet @Corsairfoxfouruncle is still in mourning over those two duds!)

I do know how to read Mike.🙄 I didn't bother once i read the reviews.🧐 😉

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

If the 72nd kit is the same as the 48th, they can, but it does require some work

Thanks for the clarification, I should know better than to say "can't". 🙂

John.