Revell 1/72 Spitfire VB worth buying or not ?

TEMPESTMK5

Not from what I've seen by the way of photos and comments.  That's a bit second hand as comments go, but I haven't seen it personally.

If you really need a Mk.Vb  think that the AZ looks to be the best around at the moment.

• Like 1

I’m no professor of Spitology or anything, but I agree with Graham. I’ve seen both kits in the flesh. The AZ looks superior in both accuracy and detail, and from what I’ve seen on the webs builds well. IMHO it’s one of AZ’s best efforts.

I’d love to see Airfix’s current Spitfire I/II/VA family tree sprout a VB branch, but I don’t think the AZ will disappoint.

Lacks the gull wing feature to the underside, prop blades a bit suspect. Looks OK built if you are not a rivet counter, or extreme accuracy  type of modeller. 

I have built a couple in the past.

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

Lacks the gull wing feature to the underside, prop blades a bit suspect. Looks OK built if you are not a rivet counter, or extreme accuracy  type of modeller. 

But that sounds like the old tool kit (mid 90s), not the recent new tool. The upper wing cannon bulges on the latter just look - odd...

1 minute ago, tempestfan said:

But that sounds like the old tool kit (mid 90s), not the recent new tool

Yes, the mid-90s kit is even worse.  I started off building one borrowing bits from the ancient Airfix Spitfire.  I got so far and then decided I was better off building the Airfix kit instead: ancient it may be but the basic shapes are good.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:33 AM, Paul J said:

I have built a couple in the past.

What PaulJ and Johnd have described is correct, in my view also. That being said, it does have some very nice detail parts, and can be found pretty cheaply. If you've got a decent spares bin and have some old Airfix Spit Mk 1's and/or  Vb's about, you could replace the Revell kit's flat section with the gull wing section from either Airfix ki and correcting the prop and cannon blisters, but I would agree with my colleagues that you're better off just getting the AZ kit and building it.

Mike

Whoops! I meant to say that the older Mk Vb release had no gull wing section- the newer release does, but it's really not much better than the original release; I would put it up there with their recent F4U-1A and F4U-4, which were both very disappointing. (I bet @Corsairfoxfouruncle is still in mourning over those two duds!)

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1

I have abstained from buying the new tool kit, but the pics in the IPMS Deutschland review suggest there in fact is the gullwing effect- to me, it even looks a bit exaggerated. So Mike, do you refer to the new tool? If so, the pics have fooled me.

The new Revell Spitfire Vb kit, and the earlier Mk.II with which it shares some parts, does have the gull-wing effect. The earlier Mk.Vb from the mid-90's is completely flat in that area. The cockpit on the earlier kit is also mostly fictitious. I remember when that kit came out and was sorely disappointed at the time that a company with the resources of Revell could make such a boneheaded mistake. The new Vb is an improvement, in most respects, apart from the prop, spinner and canopy. It could have been a lot better, especially since research material on the Spitfire is not exactly hard to come by. Maybe Eduard will do us a favour and produce a series of Spit Mk.V's and Seafire Mk.I/II/III variants. I think the current Airfix Mk.I/II is the best early Spit available, but they pushed things a bit too far by releasing it as Va because it still comes with a wing with fabric covered ailerons that had by then been replaced with metal-covered units.

Didn't know the new, new tooling was a new kit .Thought it was the same as the one that was made in that chocolate coloured plastic with AE-A decals.

I've built one- almost. The basic airframe goes together OK. It's a difficult kit to describe, but it just instinctively feels like a swing-and-a-miss on Revell's part. The prop, radiator, oil cooler are all really poorly-shaped: you don't need to be a Spitfire expert to spot them. There's a rather crude ferry tank included (including pre-moulded holes you will have to fill if you don't want to fit it!!), but no Trop filter. The surface detail is nice, but the gun blisters just look odd. The cockpit is OK, but the canopy is a bad fit and so thick that you can't possibly pose it opened.

It's kind of an "85%- there" kit, and it really disappointed me. I just can't think of any reason to recommend buying one over an KP, or even AZ kit.

Happy to put some photos up if anyone thinks it'll be useful. (only have a phone camera though, so don't expect much!)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Didn't know the new, new tooling was a new kit .Thought it was the same as the one that was made in that chocolate coloured plastic with AE-A decals.

Scalemates is a great resource for figuring out kit origins:

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=spitfire&fkTYPENAME[]="Full kits"&fkSCALE[]="1:72"&fkCOMPNAME[]="Revell"&fkORIGIN[]="1"&fkORIGIN[]="2"

Reviews:

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Revell/Rev_Spitfire_MkVb/Rev_Supermarine_Spitfire_MkVb.html

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=12431

Edited by VMA131Marine

"Revell 03897 1/72 Spitfire Vb

Dear Sirs
Is this a new moulding?  Or is this an old moullding with raised panel lines?
Thank you in anticipation
Yours faithfully"

"Many thanks for your mail and the inlcuded question. We can tell you, that this is a conversion to an existing 1/72 kit, which we did in 1996. This means automatically, that the kit includes recessed panel lines. We hope, we could serve you.

Kindly with all the best regards

yours Revell GmbH from Germany"

Part of research for Spitfire Mk.Vb Fighter Free French Air Force.  No. 340 Squadron in July 1942.

Edited by MigModeller

5 hours ago, tempestfan said:

I have abstained from buying the new tool kit, but the pics in the IPMS Deutschland review suggest there in fact is the gullwing effect- to me, it even looks a bit exaggerated. So Mike, do you refer to the new tool? If so, the pics have fooled me.

I forgot that they released a revised Mk Vb, so I guess it would be a big improvement over the original release; I didn't like some of the things about the revised kit  when I saw the sprue shots , much like Killinghome has described, but that's just me. Unless we get a state of the art Vb, Vc, Seafire II, III, I plan to use other kits to get accurate models of those variants. (This would be sooo much easier if Eduard would start working backwards and forwards from their Mk VII, VIII, and IX kits.)

Mike 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MigModeller said:

Dear Sirs
Yours faithfully"

"Many thanks for your mail and the inlcuded question. We can tell you, that this is a conversion to an existing 1/72 kit, which we did in 1996. This means automatically, that the kit includes recessed panel lines. We hope, we could serve you.

Part of research for Spitfire Mk.Vb Fighter Free French Air Force.  No. 340 Squadron in July 1942.

Would be interesting to know how they define „conversion“ - the parts breakdown is significantly different, and with all its shortcomings, I‘d say the surface details of the older one were more crisp. The older one appears to owe a lot to the 1979 1/48 Spit II, just like the then-companion G-10.

On 7/10/2018 at 5:14 PM, MigModeller said:

Dear Sirs
Yours faithfully"

This response from Revell customer service is stunning in its inaccuracy. The new Spit Vb has not a single part in common with the 1996 version.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Phantome said:

Nobody has mentioned the near shake-n-bake Tamiya Spit VB which despite some minor accuracy issues looks the part IMHO (some will disagree).

You're right, I disagree! 🙂 The Tamiya kit is awful. It has shape problems to the point that it doesn't have the "look and feel" of the original and these can't be corrected. The Hobby Boss one is better.

John.