Yellow nosed B.......

Straight from the movie, Battle of Britain, comes "Yellow 7", a Hispano Buchon Bf109E.

Academy 1/48 kit, with the wing tips squared off and guns added to the upper engine cowl, as in the movie. Decals are from my spares, apart from the Staffel shield, which was hand painted.

41470901790_511baaf561_z.jpgYellow nosed sweetheart by Paul Carter, on Flickr

41470901700_9a5284ff0f_z.jpgYellow nosed sweetheart by Paul Carter, on Flickr

41470901610_c7d473b40a_z.jpgYellow nosed sweetheart by Paul Carter, on Flickr

28411379887_f16037a2e5_z.jpgYellow nosed sweetheart by Paul Carter, on Flickr

43280616091_c6e9a3bb4a_z.jpgYellow nosed sweetheart by Paul Carter, on Flickr

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Love it! 

I need one of these too,

Great work

Cheers Greg🏆

They give you generic "fake 109" decals in the kit, and I believe they do a BoB movie version, which is quite rare.  Not sure if the movie kit has the squared off wingtips though.

That looks great!

Always loved the film since seeing it as a boy at about 5 years of age!

The use of Buchons for the movie certainly didn't worry me at that age.😎

:goodjob:

Edited by kapam

3 hours ago, kapam said:

That looks great!

Always loved the film since seeing it as a boy at about 5 years of age!

The use of Buchons for the movie certainly didn't worry me at that age.😎

:goodjob:

Reading the book I have about the movie, they wanted as much accuracy as possible, but had to "make do" with Buchons as they were the closest thing available.  They had recently been scrapped by the Spanish Air Force, so had to be made airworthy, along with the modifications to make them more distinguishable, 

As previously mentioned, the wingtips were squared off, guns added to the engine cowling,  and struts added to the tailplanes.

As a movie, certainly back in 1969, the effort made to "get it right" is amazing.  Many mock up aircraft were built. and great effort was made to make later Spits look like Mk1s.

On 7/12/2018 at 7:57 AM, Devilfish said:

Reading the book I have about the movie, they wanted as much accuracy as possible, but had to "make do" with Buchons as they were the closest thing available.  They had recently been scrapped by the Spanish Air Force, so had to be made airworthy, along with the modifications to make them more distinguishable, 

As previously mentioned, the wingtips were squared off, guns added to the engine cowling,  and struts added to the tailplanes.

As a movie, certainly back in 1969, the effort made to "get it right" is amazing.  Many mock up aircraft were built. and great effort was made to make later Spits look like Mk1s.

I have a lot of interest in this film. What is the book you have about the film?

I saw a pic (in Flypast) of the BoB Buchons in storage somewhere covered in dust.  I think they were up for sale but I'm not sure if anyone purchased any.

I remember reading that the American owners of the BoB Buchons insisted that they get to fly them for the film.  There is a scene early on in the movie where 4 or 5 Buchons come in VERY low over a supposed airfield in France shooting up the place and a bunch of Hurricanes.  The height they come in at is absolutely insane! You wouldn't get away with that today as H&S would have a fit.

All round, the film is a great document of its time and of the BoB itself.  If anyone ever asks me questions about the BoB I always tell them to watch the film as it pretty much tells you everything you need to know about the Battle of Britain.  For the main part, they use real aircraft and manage to achieve some great arial action footage.  It was made in 1969, so no there was CGI to play with. The only naff bit of filming is the model Stukas attacking the radar station on the south coast. They are not convincing at all and could have benefitted from some of the CGI tech that is around today.  But, generally speaking, the film is still a cracking watch that has stood the test of time well. 

• Like 1

What Spad and Hairtrigger said. Best flying film EVER; I was 9 when it was released and I'm pretty sure I saw it not long thereafter (with my Dad, of course!). As far as I was concerned, the 109s WERE 109s (I'd never heard of Buchons). LOVELY build. The splinter looks a bit odd but I'm assuming you've faithfully depicted the way they were painted for the film?

On 7/11/2018 at 8:36 AM, Devilfish said:

They give you generic "fake 109" decals in the kit, and I believe they do a BoB movie version, which is quite rare.  Not sure if the movie kit has the squared off wingtips though.

I have one in the stash and it is a normal Buchon edition except for those decals!!

Cheers, Jan

19 hours ago, cybershed said:

The only naff bit of filming is the model Stukas attacking the radar station on the south coast. 

And when Canfield's Spitfire turns into a Hurricane before it blows up! Great movie though - must of watched it hundreds of times when I was a kid! And a great looking Buchon too!

7 hours ago, General Jumbo said:

And when Canfield's Spitfire turns into a Hurricane before it blows up! Great movie though - must of watched it hundreds of times when I was a kid! And a great looking Buchon too!

You know, that one slipped past me. I've watched that film SO many times. Of course, as a kid, it wasn't as accessible - no DVDs or internet. So when it came on the tv schedule, about once a year, it was a 'must watch'. It stirred my interest in aircraft as a kid and that is something that has never left me. I guess there are a few more out there that experienced an awakening of interest in aircraft after seeing the Bob.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:48 PM, cybershed said:

I have a lot of interest in this film. What is the book you have about the film?

I saw a pic (in Flypast) of the BoB Buchons in storage somewhere covered in dust.  I think they were up for sale but I'm not sure if anyone purchased any.

I remember reading that the American owners of the BoB Buchons insisted that they get to fly them for the film.  There is a scene early on in the movie where 4 or 5 Buchons come in VERY low over a supposed airfield in France shooting up the place and a bunch of Hurricanes.  The height they come in at is absolutely insane! You wouldn't get away with that today as H&S would have a fit.

All round, the film is a great document of its time and of the BoB itself.  If anyone ever asks me questions about the BoB I always tell them to watch the film as it pretty much tells you everything you need to know about the Battle of Britain.  For the main part, they use real aircraft and manage to achieve some great arial action footage.  It was made in 1969, so no there was CGI to play with. The only naff bit of filming is the model Stukas attacking the radar station on the south coast. They are not convincing at all and could have benefitted from some of the CGI tech that is around today.  But, generally speaking, the film is still a cracking watch that has stood the test of time well. 

This book. I picked it up at an aeroboot.

42937876682_50fd928896_z.jpgCockpitfest 2018 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

The planes were, at the time of the movie, owned by a British company.  They came into American hands as some of the pilots were Confederate Air Force, and only asked for the aircraft as payment.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:55 PM, Newbie(kinda) said:

What Spad and Hairtrigger said. Best flying film EVER; I was 9 when it was released and I'm pretty sure I saw it not long thereafter (with my Dad, of course!). As far as I was concerned, the 109s WERE 109s (I'd never heard of Buchons). LOVELY build. The splinter looks a bit odd but I'm assuming you've faithfully depicted the way they were painted for the film?

As far as I can tell, the film aircraft had softer edged camo, but I went for a more historically accurate splinter

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:22 AM, janneman36 said:

I have one in the stash and it is a normal Buchon edition except for those decals!!

Cheers, Jan

Mine was too

4 hours ago, Devilfish said:

This book. I picked it up at an aeroboot.

42937876682_50fd928896_z.jpgCockpitfest 2018 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

The planes were, at the time of the movie, owned by a British company.  They came into American hands as some of the pilots were Confederate Air Force, and only asked for the aircraft as payment.

Thanks for the book reference and clearing up the involvement of the CAF pilots.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:48 PM, cybershed said:

There is a scene early on in the movie where 4 or 5 Buchons come in VERY low over a supposed airfield in France shooting up the place and a bunch of Hurricanes.  The height they come in at is absolutely insane!

I loved that scene!  Jaw-dropping stuff (especially to a young five year old)!!

At that age, I was easily convinced that I was seeing real Bf-109's - had never heard of a Buchon.

Still love to see the movie when it turns up on TV now and then. :winkgrin: