1/72 Cold War Soviet Mud-Mover

I'd like to add a single, good quality 1/72 Soviet ground attack aircraft to my stash.....Something that I can hang a variety of interesting stores on (maybe even open up a little), but which I can build without driving myself benny mental.  The need for aftermarket isn't a major issue (providing you can tell me what I will need) but I'd rather avoid rebuilding half of the airframe if possible.  What would you guys recommend?  :shrug:

One proviso.....Not a Su.25, I'm planning on getting one of those too (for Syria).  :coolio:

19 minutes ago, Procopius said:

.. the FITTER is just a cool-looking jet to begin with.

I agree. It's got that brutish, menacing look that befits an attack plane.  

Sgt., I would also recommend Mig-23BN or Mig-27.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Su-24 would be my pick. The Zvezda kit looks nice, although I have yet to start mine.

I built the Trumpeter Su-24 a while back as an Afghan War bomber. It's pretty much the best FENCER on the market, but is a later FENCER-D, and I had to cobble together decals for it.

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys, you've made my day!  :thumbsup:

This:

4c22c65060fda3573c73ef7456e0f59d.jpg&key

Is very much what I was hoping to hear!  :D

Now that you remind me, I do vaguely recall asking a few questions in a thread about the Modelsvit kits.....Which would be the best version (and kit) for a Soviet machine in Afghanistan please?  Could anyone point me at the best source for ordnance and any aftermarket extras that might be needed?  Pilot & groundcrew figures?  Suitable Bowser?  This is an 'I'm only doing this once, ever!' sort of project, so anything and everything that might be fun for a 'tooled to the max' Afghan Campaign Fitter would probably be of interest to me.  ;)

Hobbyterra makes a metal intake ring: http://hobbyterra.com/product/1-72-scale-air-intakes-for-su-17-family-early-for-modelsvit-kit-mini-world-7241a.html

Two of the decal options for the Su-17M3 kit are aircraft based at Shindand in Afghanistan in the mid-1980s. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers PC, so this one is a good option:

MSVIT72047.jpg?t=

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MSVIT72047

Before I do anything rash.....We aren't expecting this kit to get superseded by something from Tamiya or Zoukei Mura or somebody next week?  That seems to happen to me a lot!  ;)

16 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Cheers PC, so this one is a good option:

MSVIT72047.jpg?t=

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MSVIT72047

Before I do anything rash.....We aren't expecting this kit to get superseded by something from Tamiya or Zoukei Mura or somebody next week?  That seems to happen to me a lot!  ;)

That's yer man, and no, nothing but other Modelsvit releases seem to be on the horizon. Personally, I'm waiting on the Su-22. 🇵🇱

• Confused 1

The Su-22 is an export version still used by the Polish Air Force, so that depends on your level of enthusiasm for that country; mine is high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

depends on your level of enthusiasm for that country; mine is high

Funnily enough, I'm building a quintessentially Polish thing right now:

Not quite as sophisticated as a Sukhoi though.....The kit's pretty basic too!  ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scimitar said:

This is a very good article and has plenty photographs of the Su-17M4 variant in Afghanistan.

http://www.diary.ru/~15061981/p213516659.htm?oam

There are drawings of the M3 variant near the end.

What's the difference between a M3 and a M4 (& why do I fear that I'm going to regret asking that)?  :hmmm:

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What's the difference between a M3 and a M4 (& why do I fear that I'm going to regret asking that)?  :hmmm:

The Su-17M4 had: New nav/attack system, lower top speed due to fixed intake bullet, less internal fuel, K-36DM ejection seat in place of K-36, was lighter, had a shorter take-off run, able to operate TV-guided bombs, and (later) extra armour and four additional flare dispensers. The most visible difference is a heat exchanger at the base of the fin, which the Su-17M3 lacks. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Did you get your Mk.I kit OK?  :shrug:

Yep, when I visited Melbourne for the Model Expo, sorry for not letting you know, but I drove home solo from Melbourne 2879 kms on the odometer of my sons new 2nd hand VW Golf GTI, my memory went a bit lot fuzzy after that.

Now just waiting for the GB to start.

I knew a long time ago, but did a bit more research recently to find my maternal grandfather was involved in the recovery of the German A7V "Mephisto"  which has recently gone through a refurbishment

now on the lookout for the Emhar kit.

• Like 1