Sgt.Squarehead's struggles with a Jug!

50 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Paint masks arrived, but the paint will be a couple of days yet I suspect.....I'm considering masking off some of the polished black primer on the tail and shooting the yellow in a first attempt at the stripes.  If it works I can stick some Klear over it and mask it off before painting the NMF (I'm kind of worried about that much masking action over the Vallejos), if not then I smooth it out and shoot it all yellow and try again with the black.

I'm currently negotiating with Ma Squarehead to move my airbrush & compressor to the conservatory (permanently) for use while she is in the 'Land of Nod'.....Things are looking promising. 

My rebuilt fuses on the 1000lbers were a total waste of time, pulled some references for painting and discovered Italeri pretty much just made their fusing up.....Should have expected as much really.  Putting the real fuse in the back-end of them will be fun.  :wall:

Was hoping not to have to ask about this, but I'm really confused about the colours I should paint the inside of the cowling for my NMF finish, pictures online are all over the place, especially with the warbirds?  :shrug:

I would go for NMF inside the cowling. A lot of warbirds paint them ZC or YZC but I’ve not seen any evidence yet of a WWII P-47 with paint on the inside of the cowling, though it’s hard to find clear pictures.

• Thanks 1

Thank you kind sir, that's excellent news.....Providing masking tape doesn't rip Vallejo Metal Colour straight off my model.  :pray:

TBH if I can get the tail stripes done in advance I only have to mask over the Vallejo for the reduced anti glare panel, the yellow wing tips appear to be fictional.....However I want to mask over it a lot, nothing as complex as the tail, just a lot of small blocks, to accentuate various panels, hide all the sanding work.

Had hoped not to have to rescribe anything on this one after the horror story that was my Mitchell (talk about in at the deep end), but I filled the gap by the flaps too well, so I might as well do that too before I prime one final time, with the new Vallejo stuff.  :rolleyes:

I don't think I can live with the Italeri bomb-racks, they are horrible.....Looking for good images of all the bomb-racks (wings with 1000lbers) and especially the centreline rack (75gal drop tank).  :please:

108-gal-drop-tank-1000lb-bomb-jpg.67286

2-jpg.67298

For the centreline rack there appear to be two slots, fore & aft, from which the sway braces protrude, but what's between them and how is the tank attached? 

drop-tanks-jpg.67285

Suffering from my usual issue of not knowing exactly how to ask Google for what I'm after and not being too sure of what I'm seeing if I do get a result (Do all P-47s have the same bomb-racks?).....Figured asking you guys is more likely to generate responses I can interpret.  :coolio: 

Hoping to only mess up my primer this one last time, so note to self:

Drill ID lights

Drill landing light

Drill hole for antenna

Make slidey-thing for canopy (Where does that wind up when the canopy is closed?)

Rebuild bomb-racks

Rebuild 1000lb bombs

Rescribe flaps

Anything else that's screaming out to you guys?  :shrug:

Cheers Dennis.....I'm almost clear on what I'm making (it'll be simplified, but not as simplified as Italeri's half-baked efforts), still trying to find a clear view of the centreline rack, the way the sway-braces emerge from the fuselage is confusing me (it seems to vary, but by type or by payload, or is the 'slot' just shadows and my imagination).  :unsure:

PS - Your first picture has answered my question about the slidey-thing.....Cheers!  :coolio:

• Like 1

Cheers guys, I think I have almost everything I need, just those centreline sway braces I'm still unsure of.....Do the braces protrude from two wide slots that cross the centreline of the belly or four separate slots, two per side?  Different photos seem to suggest different things.  :unsure:

PS - I'm probably really going to regret asking this.....What is that hole in the leading edge of the wing (near the root) in @Corsairfoxfouruncle's picture just above?  Should my P-47N have one?  What else did Italeri just decide to ignore that I should probably know about?  :shrug:

• Like 1

Was just looking at my various saved images, had to have a sort out because all the images of the ordnance are mixed in with the P-47Ns.....Looks like Italeri actually got this one right, neither feature appears to be present on the P-47N!  :o

p47a.jpg

8075474b815a6c086d6945034c4a0eca.jpg (Bubba, showing off!  ;) )

ee57fdc8cd82c5175d2665e6713708a2.jpg

Hey @Sgt.Squarehead ... I Found this link to Cybermodeler

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/p-47/p-47_walk7.shtml

if you look at the 3rd photo i think you get your magic shot of the centerline rack. 

As Im disabled most of my free time is spent building or researching. Im always happy to help look just ask/request and im off to the races. 😉

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dennis you are a star!  :thumbsup:

fhc_p-47d_03.jpg

Four slots and there really are  little pads on the ends of the braces.....I think I see those on the wing pylons too, which will actually help my adjustments.

Righty-ho.....Time to bugger up my primer again!  :mental:

PS - Is that a relocated gun-camera I see just outboard of the guns in the starboard wing?  :shrug:

Apparently not (& no little pads on the wing-mount sway-braces, which is mildly disappointing):

fhc_p-47d_23.jpg

What a fantastic resource.....Cheers dude!  :coolio:

27 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im always happy to help look just ask/request and im off to the races. 😉

If ever you get the urge to build a tank..... 

• Like 1

You know you can use the photo's I put in the reference thread ;) ( I know they are D's but a lot still can be used ).

The sway braces and sway braces supports with the bomb shackle in the middle where the lugs on the tank or bomb locks in. As you can see the feet on the sway braces are just like those on a G clamp.

32646092473_949c2b14d6_o.jpg

Close up of one of the lugs on a drop tank.

33332540591_41b733256e_o.jpg

Here you can see the bomb shackle lugs engaged in the shackle. Note this aircraft use slightly smaller feet.

42168089075_a7dd02c489_o.jpg

Here you can see the belly rack assembly with the bomb shackle in the middle ( click for larger photo ).

33077151620_fae55814d4_o.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its an air duct and the gun camera is about a foot outboard of that. 

I havent seen an “N” with the inlet but i would ask @Tbolt if he has any info ? 

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of references for the P-47N, so although they removed the leading edge intake I don't know were they took the air from as the N still seems to have the vent in between the rudder pedals. 

Edited by Tbolt
  • Thanks 1

I was just looking through my 318th FG pictures ( since I'm building a 318th bird myself ) and found this photo which I forgot about. May help with you stripe painting, though I don't suggest using a hand held mask ;)

43602700362_7dcce5c5d8_o.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I looked in the reference thread (first place I always look) but I just didn't see those!  :shrug:

The final picture above seems to support my suggestion that the profile for '2 Big & Too Heavy' posted on the previous page is wrong.....You can see the stripes do indeed change direction at the spine/base of the tail.

What do you aircraft building regulars think of the idea of masking and spraying the canopy separately.....It would greatly simplify my masking process?

This kit's actually quite an achievement, even for Italeri.....IIRC to date I have had to adjust, correct or modify EVERY SINGLE PIECE of this model!  :wall:

PS - Actually the last statement's not true.....The main undercarriage doors were OK (but they might be hard work if you are building one gear down, they're kinda chunky).  :rolleyes:

PPS - From what I've read elsewhere I should probably replace the canopy too.  :doh:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I looked in the reference thread (first place I always look) but I just didn't see those!  :shrug:

The final picture above seems to support my suggestion that the profile for '2 Big & Too Heavy' posted on the previous page is wrong.....You can see the stripes do indeed change direction at the spine/base of the tail.

What do you aircraft building regulars think of the idea of masking and spraying the canopy separately.....It would greatly simplify my masking 

Personally I mask my canopies when attached as it saves masking the inside. However wirh the P-47 it has a black seal around the bottom of the canopy so if you want to paint that it might be easier painting it separately, though I've never bothered painting it myself yet.

EDIT

I should point out that I was referring to when I build the model with a closed canopy, with an open canopy obviously I paint it off the model.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What do you aircraft building regulars think of the idea of masking and spraying the canopy separately.....It would greatly simplify my masking process?

I almost always paint my canopies off the plane. On certain types the camouflage extends under the canopy so its easier for me to mask & paint that way.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Stix.  :coolio:

Still adding things that Italeri couldn't be bothered with, mostly lights:

IDLights-1IDLights-2

ID Light location copied from one of the several kits I could have built instead of this POS.....I've tidied them up a bit since this photo was taken, but the aft one winding up in the middle of a, no doubt fictitious, panel line doesn't help the cause much.  :rolleyes:

The port wing landing light is not marked on either of the Tamiya kits, TBH I just guessed:

LandingLight

Next up, rebuilding the godawful tank & bomb-racks.....Just look at them, resplendent in their Italeri indifference!  :unsure:

• Like 3

Going backwards again at the moment, had to dismount the wing pylons so I can rebuild the bomb-racks.....Back with more pictures when there's some actual progress.  :whistle:

I'm now considering modelling the hard-points empty, it's a hell of a lot less hassle and I could have the canopy open too.....Bubba's coming home!  :yahoo:

How Italeri can make a 75gal drop tank badly I just cannot imagine.....Cadbury's turn out gazillions of the same basic shape without apparent difficulty!  :rolleyes: