F-4D 53rd 36th Wing Bitburg

Hetzer123

Good afternoon,

I am looking for a picture of the Tiger-logo from a F-4D 53rd TFS. What I found is the brand-new logo, but I need the 60's.

Some of those fighters participated on a airshow at Upper Heyford around 1971-72. It would be very very nice if someone will have a picture, because I want to build an aircraft with self-made decals.

Hello @Hetzer123 ... Not sure what scale you're working with but i found these decals in 1/32nd scale and they have the markings you seek. wpMK82W.jpg

Are either of these the symbol you're looking for ?  The decals have this one ⬇️

9hRz7bH.jpg

ihzcOdR.jpg

I hope these help you ? 

Dennis

The Tiger Meet site has no useful images:  https://www.natotigers.org/tiger-meets

However for those looking through their archives, the 53rd used F-105Ds for the Tiger Meets during 1961-65, F-4D Phantoms during 1966-76 and F-15A/B from 1977 onward.

There seem to have been a small range of 'Tiger' patches, most variants of that found above by Dennis.

Images of Phantoms bearing the badge are very few, in part because the badge was of modest size in those days. 

Exotic tiger stripes adorning front line fighters were not the norm in those days!

John

Late extra! I found this which may or may not help:   http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=5238

Said to be 1972 pictured at Upper Heyford.

Edited by sanguin
New information
  • Like 1

Hey Guys,

thanks for your response!

I am working on decals in 1:48, the airdoc sheet is completely sold out :/ That’s the reason why I have to create them by my own. 

Also I am thinking that the Airdoc decals are not 100% correct. 

So thank you Dennis and John for the idea with the patches, I will use them as a template.

@sanguin  I already have these amazing pictures! Pictures like those are very rare ;)

• Like 1