Cheap airbrush and compressor set

marios19203

https://www.amazon.de/Gocheer-100-250V-Kompressor-Modellbau-Reinigung-TS100BMC/dp/B071XVWZ3C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531083626&sr=8-3&keywords=airbrush

This set was suggested to me by an ig scale modelling account and it looks really good. Does anyone else have this specific set and would you recommend it for a beginner with a tight budget

22 hours ago, marios19203 said:

https://www.amazon.de/Gocheer-100-250V-Kompressor-Modellbau-Reinigung-TS100BMC/dp/B071XVWZ3C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531083626&sr=8-3&keywords=airbrush

This set was suggested to me by an ig scale modelling account and it looks really good. Does anyone else have this specific set and would you recommend it for a beginner with a tight budget

Honestly I would not consider a compressor like this. These small compressors don't have an air tank, the pressure is not constant and can't be regulated. It may be something to start playing with an airbrush but you would very quickly be disappointed by the likely bad results.

My usual personal advice for modellers on a tight budget is to wait and save money until this is enough for a decent compressor. There seems to be a number of Chinese made compressors around that while not great are at least useable and can be decent purchases. Searching this same forum may give some indication, one name that comes to my mind is the AS18 and derivatives. I don't use them but many here do and seem to be happy enough with them

13 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

That Aldi one isn't so bad, but it runs out of air as it can't make it as fast as you use it. You will find yourself waiting whilst it catches up all the time with your spraying...😥

It's an AS-18 and you can get them a little cheaper with different stickers on.

I have one and can't say I've EVER noticed the above. What I have done a few times is overheated it running continuously for 45mins or so on some paint job.

Unless your paint is excessively thick there should be no reason to ever go above 20psi for modelling and usually I'd expect to be well below that - and it that sort of range the little AS-18 runs against the pressure regulator continuously until it thermally cuts-out after a fairly long time. It will struggle if you're asking for a constant 30psi from it - but I'd never need to go that high.

I couldn't say it was a great compressor, but if you're running out of air with it, it sounds like your paint is too thick and you're relying on high pressures to move it?

• Like 2

My compressor looks just like the Aldi one and provides excellent service so far (over 18 months).  It’s reasonably quiet and only actually pumps for a couple of seconds during longer sprays such as 1/72 Spitfire - not that I can spray the whole of the underside in one go anyway!  When the pump runs there’s no discernible change in paint flow, I assume the length of the hose attenuates any variation.  I have it set at around 1bar/15psi mostly anyway now, having gradually worked down along with thinner and thinner paint.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

Just had another look at that Aldi compressor and it says it puts out 23 litres of air per minute. Actually this should be fine for most airbrushing. The airbrush looks similar to a Badger 150. I had one for many years before I switched to Tamiya, Iwata and Mr Hobby brushes. It was quite a decent brush, fairly reliable and did a pretty good job of spraying my models..

• Like 1

Well, seeing as my Sunday afternoon appointment with copious amounts of beer has suddenly been cancelled, I might pick one up. If I apply the beer savings I'm looking at a fairly hefty discount... 

Edited by Rob998

Commiserations on that, I watched the game here as well, although I had to start at 0400

I recently bought a Chinese one with a tank, having had 2 like the 2nd one you showed, they gave me more than 40 years of service between them so can't complain

my new one has an air tank as well and is fantastic, fills the tank and then cuts out until the level in the tank drops.

• Like 1

I bought one of the Aldi kits today,  reduced by a fiver to £59.99, so thought it looked quite good value. 

Now need to start gathering paints and thinners and stuff. 

I've been away from modelling for a while so I assume paint tech has moved on a fair bit from 15 years ago...

But even back then Tamiya stuff was good, I'm assuming it's still the case?

Edited by Rob998

Tamiya is good, and very widely used. It's an alcohol-based acrylic that you can thin with pretty much anything (to varying results). If you thin with Tamiya x20a (which is primarily alcohol with retarder and flow aid), then you could mostly get away with spraying without an extractor booth. You will want to get some retarder if you want to also brush paint with it as otherwise it drys too quickly.

Other water-based acrylics like Vallejo have the advantage that they're easier to brush paint with, so you can use the same paint for both. But personally I think they're a little harder to work with in the airbrush as I find them a little more prone to tip-dry.

If you want to spray with enamels or lacquer-based paints, then you will certainly want a spray booth and probably a mask.

One key factor could be availability in your area. Have a look to see what you local shops stock. 

• Like 1