This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

colbee2004

2019 Halifax Show

That sounds great Alan thanks for the information 👍🏻

helps plan the journey time better and more time to sort out the parking hopefully :coolio:

beefy 

Having the option to set up the night before will be a big help. The extra hour in the morning is a bonus too. 

Duncan B

It's that time again when my thoughts start turning to packing the van for the trip south to the next show, in this case Halifax. So anyone who is wanting to make a pre-order for collection on the day of the Show needs to get their order in with my by Thursday at the latest.

For full instructions on how to go about making a pre-order follow the link: https://www.blackmikemodels.co.uk/pages/2019-show-dates

Duncan B

Hi all, just passing along a little information I've received (thanks Bob @Retired Bob ) re parking on Sainsburys car park. It's unknown (to us) how accurate this is, Alan @Angus Tura could you confirm?  Been told that the time limits ARE enforced, also you will need a Sainsburys till receipt to exit the car park.

Paul

11 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Hi all, just passing along a little information I've received (thanks Bob @Retired Bob ) re parking on Sainsburys car park. It's unknown (to us) how accurate this is, Alan @Angus Tura could you confirm?  Been told that the time limits ARE enforced, also you will need a Sainsburys till receipt to exit the car park.

Paul

Just in case things have changed, but this was on my last visit several years ago, but DO things change in Halifax? :whistle:

Well I think there are going to be a few disgruntled people regarding the parking issue with this venue 

who wants to play keep your eye out for the parking plod. :ninja:

beefy 

Not wanting to dampen this show before it takes place but Traders and Club Displayers alike will not take kindly to having to carry their precious cargo far, to and from a venue or have to keep moving a car for fear of a parking ticket. If parking is not available at the venue or very close by then we will have to re-assess whether we keep this show in our calendar for future years. But let's give it the benefit of the doubt this time as it's a show we all look forward to.

Brian 

Bob, Paul, Beefy and Brian and all,

Thanks for your queries. Every year the main source of complaints we have is parking. It is unusual, even for us, for the complaints to start before the show! I hope you will bear with us. We can't help the fact that we've had to move the show. Also we are not the council and we can't control the parking.

Anyway, the situation is this: There are something over 100 spaces associated with the leisure centre. There are something over 75 exhibitors. We would expect, then, to get all traders and exhibitors parked, at the rate of one vehicle each, in an all-day, free slot. Please respect the instructions of Wakefield Club members in filling these slots. Once these slots are full you will still be able to unload right beside the hall, BeeKay, at least until 10.00am when we will lock the loading doors. Having unloaded, you will have to then move your car and find a parking place.    

Sainsburys have contracted out their parking to Europarks and there is unfortunately no possibility of negotiation with them about parking, therefore. It is not that I haven't tried!

Sainsbury's provide free parking for 2.5 hours. You don't need to spend any money in Sainsbury's to use this parking. You don't need any receipt to get out again. There is a number plate recognition system in the Sainsburys car park. When you drive in it will flash up your number and an end time for your parking. I live in Halifax and shop there nearly every Saturday and know a few people in Halifax. I believe that if you go over the allotted 2.5 hours they will send you a penalty notice and that is £70. There is no return for 2 hours.

There is a very large car park for leisure centre customers, that is to say people coming to the show, right by the leisure centre and it is always completely empty on a Sunday afternoon after 1pm, when the car boot sale has ended. It, like all Calderdale Council Car Parks, is free all day on Sunday.

So, I would park in Sainsbury's but be careful not to go over the 2.5 hours. At 1pm I should move your car into the free, leisure centre car park. Depending on when you arrive, therefore, you might have to find somewhere, or just drive about, for half an hour. If you are coming with your club , but aren't bringing your stand, I should plan to arrive 10.30ish, park in Sainsbury's, and move your car into the big car park at 1pm. You will then pay nothing.

I should finally say that the leisure centre has no catering. Bacon rolls &c. will be available from the mobile greasy spoon at the car boot sale. I can personally recommend Sainsbury's lentil dhal.

See you Sunday, I hope.

Alan 

Thanks for that Alan, I can assure you we, Washington Model Club, will certainly be there and look forward to the first show in our displaying calendar :thumbsup:

Brian 

Looking forward to it, see you on Sunday.

Today (Friday) is last orders for anyone wanting to pre-order anything from BlackMike Models for collection on Sunday. You can pre-order directly from the website, remember to select collect from show as the postage rate to get free postage or you can email, phone or leave a message here. (You are too late to send a homing pigeon though).

Duncan B

Hopefully as a resident of Halifax I can offer some help.

Area used by the car boot is a massive former railway sidings and scene of a famous photograph "Catchpoint " by Bill Brandt. 

Car boot clears off lunchtime. 

Plenty of on street parking which is definitely free, Sunday, on Corporation Street cos I checked it tonight - but it's a walk.

Wade Street out of Sainsbury is good & free with big bays unlike Sainsbury. One way turn left, followed by Mulcture Hall Road.

Big carpark behind the "Dean Clough" sign might be free on a Sunday - around Jack Wills but check the signs.

If you have uninterested guests Dean Clough, Piece Hall, Square Chapel, Bankfield Museum are worth a visit. 

Enjoy the show!

20190208_192920_0_zpsntjesahs_edit_15496

20190208_192920_0_zpsntjesahs.jpg

Edited by roys

If you are going tomorrow, can you come and see me at the admissions desk. I would like to thank you in person for posting this. Many many thanks

Col

Today is the day...

Things seem to have been a bit quiet...  So how did it go...

Well I had a good time. 👍

I've created an album of some of the models that caught my interest on my FB page and made it available for public viewing, however if anyone has difficulty seeing it please let me know.

Unfortunately by the time I deleted the worst out of focus pics there wasn't many left. 😞

https://www.facebook.com/roger.newsome.180/media_set?set=a.2287422181472053&type=3 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I too had a great day, parking was no problem, its free in most of the car parks around and we were only  5 minutes walk from the car to our stand. I thought the visitor numbers held up and there was a good sized queue at opening time.

My thanks to Geoff, Alan and the rest of the lads for a good day out. See you next year.

Had a great day .....parking problem ? What parking problem !!

Straight in and parked up .

Defo be back next year 👍👍

Andy

Really enjoyed it. Got parked up where i usually do when i visit Halibag. Was a bit of a tight squeeze when queing up to pay but no real problem and was in quick. The venue reminded me of the old Hudders leisure centre. Well done and thanks to all who organised the show :like:

Regards

Steve

4 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Well I had a good time. 👍

I've created an album of some of the models that caught my interest on my FB page and made it available for public viewing, however if anyone has difficulty seeing it please let me know.

Unfortunately by the time I deleted the worst out of focus pics there wasn't many left. 😞

https://www.facebook.com/roger.newsome.180/media_set?set=a.2287422181472053&type=3 

You are too modest. Thanks for talking the time to photograph and sort these, they are of some great examples of modelling.

I especially liked the desert airfield diorama, someone has put heart and soul into that.

7 hours ago, Whofan said:

You are too modest. Thanks for talking the time to photograph and sort these, they are of some great examples of modelling.

I especially liked the desert airfield diorama, someone has put heart and soul into that.

Yes, that dio was an amazing piece of work and what was also amazing was seeing the two guys who brought it confidently tilt it about 30° to get it through the doors, quite a few of us were visibly holding our breath until it was safely horizontal again. 😯

Yes, congratulations to the show 'owners' guys you had the whole thing sorted brilliantly and we had a great day out 'oop north'

Roger, glad you liked the little cab and put it in your fb set

Some fabulous models in the comp again lads, wonderful stuff

Verdict? Back again next year

Hi guys, just had to drop in and say a big well done to Alan and all the guys who helped to get this show on. I can say we, the Washington guys, had a most enjoyable day with absolutely no parking issues or any other issues for that matter. You were right, the burger/bacon butty van at the Car-boot was exceptional. The venue did have flash backs to the old Huddersfield venue, which was a squeeze, but never detracted from the enjoyment of the day. Only thing for next year, on my part, is to wear an extra layer of clothes.

Thanks again for a great show and hope to be back again next year. :thumbsup:

Brian