Grand Phoenix 1/48 Firefly NF Mk 1

I actually finished the aircraft that forms the central basis of this back in February time but then put it to one side and didn't finalise the project.  So whilst putting the figures together for the Carriers Ahoy Seahawk, I thought this would be a great opportunity to paint the aircrew figures to complete the Firefly.

The basic kit went together as well as you might expect for a mixed media, limited run kit with no alignment tabs and a plethora of butt joins.  The resin was actually lovely and the cockpits looked really good once they were complete - it was almost a shame to fit them into the fuselage.  Unfortunately that's where the problems started because the resin wasn't a great fit to either cockpit space and meant that it was near impossible to get the Observer's canopy to fit properly.  I'd shaved off as much as I dared but still they were a tadge too wide.

I tried a new pre-shading technique on one lower wing - a fine line permanent marker.  Complete disaster.  It took about 17 coast of Vallejo Sky to cover it up and even then it's still way too prominent.  Fortunately the model is glued to the base so its impossible to see unless you go looking specifically for it.  I also didn't notice until I took the photos that the propeller blades are somewhat swept back.  The final photo with the close up of the aircrew seems to show silvering on the decal; I think this is a symptom of the flash as to the naked eye it seems fine.

The figures are from CMK, ostensibly RAF WW2 aircrew.  I wasn't especially impressed - the mouldings on other resin figures I've had have been better and there was a lot of fine rubbing down to get rid of seams etc.  The pilot (with his back to the photos) originally had a moustache so milliput made that into a beard.

The kit represents an aircraft from 1792 NAS embarked in HMS OCEAN in 1946.  The squadron was especially formed for night fighter duties which possibly explains why the Observer is looking wistfully up at his cockpit with a nervous disposition.  If he is like me, I used to hate night flying.  Punching off the deck into the dark knowing that at least 50% of your brain for the next 2 hours is completely pre-occupied with trying to find mother again in the middle of a dark and featureless ocean, or go for a swim, and then totally placing your trust in your pilot to land the thing on the deck in near zero visibility; I imagine it was worse in the 1940s!

29412854608_3b2b1b4132_b.jpg

29412856328_398e66c6e8_b.jpg[

28413637977_f5b5aac313_b.jpg

28413988387_ed15e7b1c9_b.jpg

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 26

It looks good, well done.  Props are not bent back I think it's just an optical illusion.  

I have the SH Firefly in the stash waiting for the Pacific War GB, hope it turns out as good as this one..

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:33, bigbadbadge said:

Great Firefly she looks fabulous.  I have one of these in the stash and so thank you for the heads up on the cockpit fit. 

Thanks for sharing. 

All the best 

Chris 

The other elements that are too big are the U/C bays.  Although this was well documented online so I was aware of it, you really do need to sand back the top until it is almost transparent or the wings won't meet at both the leading and trailing edges.  I went too far on the corner of one of mine and went through!

• Thanks 1

Great result!  I really enjoyed building this one a few years ago.  I don't remember huge problems with the cockpit but there may be variations between individual kits - and it was a while ago!  The spinner always looked too bulbous but I left it as supplied, as you have done.

I've read in the past the spinner is a bit too large but it wouldn't bother me. The observer's probably got trappers hence the wistful look. Anyway, it's a Pusser's cab; what's not to like?

I've got a Pusser's Avenger on the go and I think that's going to take an ocean of sky on the undersides.

Edited by Darby

Hello Chewie,

Did you alter or correct the radiator air intake  ??

I Wonder about that since I read on FB that it's nor right on the kit...

2 hours ago, Darby said:

I've read in the past the spinner is a bit too large but it wouldn't bother me. The observer's probably got trappers hence the wistful look. Anyway, it's a Pusser's cab; what's not to like?

I've got a Pusser's Avenger on the go and I think that's going to take an ocean of sky on the undersides.

I'll use the corrected one from Barracuda but I must say the difference is slight !

Very nice Firefly and well painted !:partytime:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

10 hours ago, Darby said:

The observer's probably got trappers hence the wistful look.

Ahh trappers.  One of few benefits of being a civvy - no annual trap ride!

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Chewie,

Did you alter or correct the radiator air intake  ??

I Wonder about that since I read on FB that it's nor right on the kit...

I'll use the corrected one from Barracuda but I must say the difference is slight !

Very nice Firefly and well painted !:partytime:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

As far as I could tell from the reference material I had, the difference on the radiator intake was minimal so I left it as is. 

• Thanks 1