1/72 Academy razorback

Ratch

Good afternoon Ratch

Welcome aboard and enjoy your build ... but be careful with the Academy decals if you plan to build one of the versions proposed in the box ..

Cheers

Patrice

5 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

but be careful with the Academy decals if you plan to build one of the versions proposed in the box

Having just used the kit decals for the US insignia on mine, I would advise extreme care.

12 hours ago, Ratch said:

Cheers Patrice, I already have a/m replacements :thanks:

Good morning Ratsch

Good and which markings did you choose ? 

You can also replace the gun barrels if I remember correctly they are too short ...

Cheers

Patrice

50 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Ratsch

Good and which markings did you choose ? 

You can also replace the gun barrels if I remember correctly they are too short ...

Cheers

Patrice

The diameter is slightly too big also which with the shortness does make them look rather stubby. They are also parallel with the wing and not the ground like they should be, so replacing them makes a good improvement for little effort.

• 4 weeks later...

I've found one reference picture of UN-S in the book (can't find it on line), of it undergoing an oil change. She carries no centre tank or bomb pylons under the wings, so I think mine will be clean in that respect too.

DSC_0007

What book is this one Ratch? It looks like one I should have.  :)

I like the look of what you're doing with this kit, it goes together nicely, I probably need a couple more. :unsure:

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @stevehnz its the 56th fighter group by Larry davis. Its a squadron publication. 

Thanks, I see its cover in one of Ratches other photos, I've a few of their aircraft lined up so best I find a copy.

Steve.

I see some participants have posted their previous builds of this subject so here are mine

Airfix 1/72 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt (125/01045)
UN*L, flown by Lieutenant John ‘Lucky’ Truluck (63rd FS, 7 kills), March 1944.
405251268.jpg

Novo 1/72 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt (F390/76006)
LM*S, flown by Major David Schilling (62nd FS, 4 kills) – before 1944
405251265.jpg

Academy 1/72 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt 'Razorback' (2175)
276468 UN*R of the 63rd Fighter Squadron, 56th Fighter Group, based at Wittering, Northamptonshire, from 13th January to 5th April 1943.
410806586.jpg

Academy 1/72 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt 'bubble-top' (2105)
411117733.jpg

Academy 1/72 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt 'bubble-top' (2174)
411117729.jpg

Matchbox 1/72 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt (PK-22)
413707153.jpg

• Like 2

And now I can call her finished.

This model has Aztec Models decals representing 325307 UN*S of the 63rd Fighter Squadron, 56th Fighter Group based at Wittering, Northamptonshire, from 13th January to 5th April 1943. Aztec portrays the aircraft during 1942, and as the squadron arrived at Wittering in January 1943, I saw no reason to change the suggested paint scheme. Indeed, I have pictures of 62nd Squadron, based at Kingscliffe, Northants, which bear identical markings. The 56th Fighter Group became one of, if not the, most famous Fighter Groups of the Eighth Air Force. It achieved the highest number of enemy aircraft destroyed and had the greatest number of aces of any Group as well as the two top pilots in the Eighth. It was also the only Group to fly P-47’s throughout the war.

413977936.jpg

413977935.jpg

413977934.jpg

413977938.jpg

413977937.jpg

• Like 4