1/35 scale "Holy Grail" of Jeep Collectors

In the real world of military vehicle collectors, the "Holy Grail" would be to find an original Jeep in its shipping crate. Of course, other than those at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean in the holds of sunken ships, it's very unlikely anyone will ever find one. The whole "Jeep in a crate for $50" idea came from a post war scam, trying to con people out of their money. However, there are a number of photos around the net showing Jeeps in crates, although how they were packed and how disassembled they were seems to vary from picture to picture. This model was built for a friend, with the hood number matching his Jeep.

The Jeep is from the Italeri kit with a scratch built crate from ramin strip wood and 1/32 birch plywood. The metal tie down straps are black painted paper, with painted wire over paper holding the wheels into the tub. It is presented in an A4 box frame.

jeep_2017_001.jpg

jeep_2017_002.jpg

jeep_2017_003.jpg

jeep_2017_004.jpg

• Like 34

Nice and original.

Speaking of which I’ve seen two CJ-2s recently camped up as MBs, the owners pretty unaware that the civvies model is way rarer in the UK!

• Like 1

Reminds me of a story my Father told me.

He joined the RAF in 1945. One of his first jobs as a juniour airman, he was taken to a hanger full of brand new Harley Davidson's.

The Americans didn't want them back, but because they were Lend/Lease they couldn't be sold on the civilian market.

So they were given sledge hammers... 

• Like 1

I knew a guy years ago in my R/C model club. He was out in India and was tasked with writing off all the B-24 Liberators and Mustangs so the Indians couldn't have them. They drained the oil and ran the engines until they seized and took a sledge hammer to the wings and tail of the P-51's. The B-24's were parked in a revetment back, two petrol bowsers tied to the landing gear and driven apart at speed, as the bombers fell, they broke their spars on the revetment.

• Like 1

We found one!  In 1975, we answered an add for an original 1945 Willy's jeep for sale, by the U.S. Army. No running miles.  Our family drove to another state to collect it.  When we got there to take it home,  we found the item it was in a million parts in a crate!  We had to rent a trailer to bring it home.  Our family spent that summer putting the thing together.

• Like 2

I have two on the road, and having stripped and rebuilt one, I know they take up around three times as much space in bits as they do as a complete vehicle!! My wife spent a year looking out of the kitchen window at the body tub sitting on the patio! 🙂

0063.jpg

• Like 3

I sold my Willys last year 😞   

It wasn't being used as life was too busy.  I'd had twenty years of fun and adding all the bits and pieces but I think I grew out of it.  All my friends and neighbours were gutted as they loved the idea of a mate with a Jeep and it looked good in the garage next to our little Mk1 green MX5.  Even wifey shed a tear as it trundled away on the back of a low loader.

Bought  a VW camper and it's given us much fun with our Jack Russell.

I have an Italeri and a Tamiya kit - I am now spurred to replicate your great idea - thank you for the inspiration.

Edited by Jeepboy
  • Like 1

I really like this build......in fact, it's one of the most original models I've ever seen. My brother is currently restoring a '42 Ford GPW, a quite painstakingly work. Striped down, sandblasted and restored chassis, rebuilt engine (zero miles right now), axles, transmission, etc....Will ask him some pics......

Cheers....

• Like 1

Here's my Ford as collected ( looking complete but in a very poor condition ), under the 2 year rebuild and complete.

recovery3.jpg restoration2.jpg

restoration3.jpg restoration12.jpg

restoration19.jpg restoration30.jpg

With the rest of the fleet.

croft23.jpg

For the 100th Anniversary of the RAF, both Jeeps had some temporary magnetic RAF markings made.

bowes50.jpg

• Like 3

Thar reddish primer seems quite familiar...!!!!!! After sandblasting it, he gave a few primer coats, then Waxoiled the whole thing, and finally a few overcoats of an original 40's Chrysler paint.....found an old pantone at a local shop. if you want, I can give my brother your email address, so you can get in touch and chat about your little mules.....

12 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

Message sent.

OK......your website is amazing.....Love the RAF M201.......My brother's first Jeep was a M201 as well.....He started restoring it, but finally found an original Ford GPW, and the decission wasn't difficult.....

I'm pretty sure he'll get back in touch with you,

I think you share some interesting hobbies, scale modelling, military vehicles restoring, and ww2 militaria collecting......If you liked Single Malts, you could be twins....

• Like 1