1/32 1914 Dennis Fire Engine

Finished!  Not overly happy with the cobble street base.  I tried a technique recommended here https://davidneat.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/model-making-basics-creating-surfaces/ after asking for advice in the Diorama forum on here, but it didn't quite work as instead of using a foam base, I made one from mdf covered with a skim of plaster of Paris.  I made up a plasticard template to match a rectangular cobble from a photo of a Coventry street in 1912 to use instead of a fixative pipe, but after the first 3 or 4 presses into the plaster of Paris, the mould filled with the rapidly drying plaster and it was useless, so I simply pressed the now rectangular block into the plaster to try to create something vaguely reminiscent of a cobbled road.  the result is almost a negative of what I was trying to achieve with indentations and raised edges.   In slow time I will have another go but this time try a foam base. or bite the bullet and buy a pre-made resin example.

Looking at these photos shows me that I also need to blow away some of the dust from the engine bay.  Close up photographs show far more than the naked eye.

But overall I am reasonably pleased with it.  Mainly because it took me back to my Gran's living room in the late 1970s when I knocked this out in probably an afternoon but at least that had a working ladder, more than mine does now!  it also goes some way to show what is achievable from these aged moulds with a bit of thought.  It was also pleasing because both wife and daughters commented that it was nice to look at something in the cabinet that wasn't painted in ship's side grey or EDSG and sky.  I've still got the 1910 omnibus to do from the same set so will look at that at some point in the future.

Thanks to everyone who has helped, encouraged and set this GB up.  On now to Pacific at War GB and a scratch built 1/350 HMS BULOLO (but back to ship's side grey again!)

44318092404_c640098691_b.jpg

44318089034_d25e20eedc_b.jpg

31164443548_11e5b7f7e7_b.jpg

31164447128_2c01d6f6a5_b.jpg

More photos in the gallery

• Like 6

Superb build, Chewbacca, and what more accolade could you have than your family are happy to see it displayed round the house. This has been an individualistic build. Well done. Mike

• Like 1

This is a hugely impressive build and one to be really proud of. Something tells me that although you have taken some great photographs, even these don’t do this kit the justice it deserves. 

‘Twas great to have you onboard to add another classic build and finish to this GB. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 3