Italeri 1/72nd Junkers Ju88A-5

If there's one thing we Battle of Britain followers desire it's a good modern kit for the Ju88A-1. There's any number of kits for the later variants, particularly the A-4, but the A-1 seems to be sorely neglected. In fact, it's quite hard to find a mid-1940 period A-5 in kit form.

Junkers Ju88A-5 – B3+EH, 1st Staffel, Kampfgeschwader 54 “Tötenkopf”, Evreux, France, August 1940.

42542839694_02597ea54b_b.jpg

42357296775_160bcaef88_b.jpg

42357267265_72080a1779_b.jpg

29391226648_69082fc031_b.jpg

42357266995_53f4366706_b.jpg

43260913281_6f9152a718_b.jpg

So, what does any self-respecting BoB modeller do, in lieu of a decent A-1? Why, get an A-4 kit, a PE conversion kit to make an A-5, some resin bulged wheels and decent decals, of course.

The 1990s Italeri Ju88A-4 was probably one of the best Ju88 kits around at the time. Yes, it has raised panel lines, the cockpit is a bit sparse, the cockpit greenhouse is a bit very lacking in frame lines, but it looks the part. The biggest changes required are for the engines. For those that don't know, the Ju88 development history is a bit convoluted. Let's just say the A-1 was a good plane, but had some issues. The next production iteration, the A-4, had problems with the new engines, so the A-1 engines were used on A-4 airframes giving the A-5. I think that's right. Anyway, some surgery on the kit was required to remove the oil cooler bulges below the engines, PE parts were added to the radiator cowlings, and some styrene bits and bobs fitted to detail around the exhausts. The PE set was also used to detail the cockpit a bit more. I chose to rescribe the raised panel lines, which became more of an issue as various joins were filled and sanded. 

Painting, again, by Xtracrylics, initially airbrushed for the base colours, then brush painted for the splinter pattern. The decals came from an aftermarket set, the provenance of which eludes me as they were acquired over twenty years ago now! The end result is an adequate representation of an A-5, which sits nicely alongside the other Luftwaffe bombers in the collection. Here's hoping someone makes an A-1 sometime.

Edited by Heather Kay
Flickr link text removed.
  • Like 24

The Ju 88 has that air of deadly capability that was also proved in various guises later in the war.

You model captures exactly that characteristic. I particularly like the close-up photo from below the stbd engine. It's almost as if the crew is just about to come strolling with their chutes in the background…

Slick work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Nice job on that Heather, it makes me feel a bit inadequate seeing how you've done most of this from scratch & my Italeri kit & LF models conversion languishes in my stock. At least now I have this lovely example to refer to.

Steve.