Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk 1

My latest completion,

Yes, another Spitfire! 

The now quite old Tamiya kit is a very easy and satisfying build. Mine is straight out the box and was a really relaxing and satisfying model to complete.

This is option 2 from the kit - 92 Squadron RAF November 1940. I like the half black wing id reintroduced in the wake of the BoB along with the tail band marking and the light coloured spinner.

I also have the newer Airfix Mk 1 in the stash and am keen to see how the Airfix kit builds compared to the Tamiya example.

Of all the Spitfire marks the Mk 1 is my favourite, and i think this kit caputure the look very well.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers Greg

29403292388_52fb905038_z.jpg

42554506724_96761094b2_z.jpg

43223904062_f944122ba2_z.jpg

29403303918_b86459d1b0_z.jpg

42554524214_fdbb11e149_z.jpg

42368931675_0708ce5723_z.jpg

29403281818_35cee8b05a_z.jpg

• Like 34

46 minutes ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Very nice, do like the Tamiya kits. Particularly for those times you just want the kit falling together without having to fix anything.

Thanks again!

It certainly was a mojo booster in terms of how well the kit went together. 

Cheers Greg😎

Love it.....I have the Airfix kit as well, to be built as the OTU option to go along with my stripe-nosed JZ•E/AR213. The only issue I've heard is regarding the attachment points of the landing gear

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Nicely done, Greg.👍 You can never have too many Spitfires.

1 hour ago, fubar57 said:

Love it.....I have the Airfix kit as well, to be built as the OTU option to go along with my stripe-nosed JZ•E/AR213. The only issue I've heard is regarding the attachment points of the landing gear

Thank you folks!

Yep Spitfires are always welcome with me too. I have a few of the later marks in the stash awaiting attention including a few Airfix ones.

Cheers Greg 😊

10 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very presentable Mk I indeed!

I guess she's representing a later day restored warbird, what with the red crowbar and no aerial wire? 😉

Neat modelling.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim,

Yes, as the crowbar is moulded on I painted it up. In hindsight I should have scraped it off!! Lack of aerial wire is just laziness on my part. I could go back and put some on there....

Kind regards Greg 

15 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Another very nice Spitfire.  Great work.  

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris,

I do enjoy building Spitfires. Plenty more to come from the stash.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

That's another great Spitfire Greg,built my first ever Tamiya Spitfire a couple of month's agp and loved it(oddly enough Zumbach's VB) for the

RAF 100 GB.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

That's another great Spitfire Greg,built my first ever Tamiya Spitfire a couple of month's agp and loved it(oddly enough Zumbach's VB) for the

RAF 100 GB.

Can't beat Tamiya for a good build Steve! 

• Like 1

That's another beautiful Spitfire Greg. I've made one of Tamiya's Spitfires and it really was a joy to make. Yours looks superb! Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

Lovely lateish Mk 1 Greg. I wouldn't be surprised if you could forget about the aerial wire. The later 1940 Spits I thik had the aerial wire built into the antenna itself - someone more aware will probably make some further comments on this. The other thing I queried when I built my last Tamiya Mk 1 was the Browning muzzle flash attachments at the business end. I concluded from learned advice that these may have been present on very early Spits but disappeared altogether even in the early BoB stages. I guess Tamiya based their model on some drawings of quite early Mk 1s. Those who know may have more to say on this. An altogether great looking model. Well done! Paul

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That's another beautiful Spitfire Greg. I've made one of Tamiya's Spitfires and it really was a joy to make. Yours looks superb! Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix 😁

It's a great kit the Tamiya Spitfire. I am tempted to get a Vb now.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pauls9cb said:

Lovely lateish Mk 1 Greg. I wouldn't be surprised if you could forget about the aerial wire. The later 1940 Spits I thik had the aerial wire built into the antenna itself - someone more aware will probably make some further comments on this. The other thing I queried when I built my last Tamiya Mk 1 was the Browning muzzle flash attachments at the business end. I concluded from learned advice that these may have been present on very early Spits but disappeared altogether even in the early BoB stages. I guess Tamiya based their model on some drawings of quite early Mk 1s. Those who know may have more to say on this. An altogether great looking model. Well done! Paul

Thank you Paul,

I wondered about the wing guns sticking out as most pics I have seen don't have these. 

Still it's a very good model kit and certainly looks like a Spitfire.

All the best Greg 😀

Lovely Spitfire and i think you have nailed with your finish including the subtle weathering the look of these aircraft by much.

The Tamiya kits are easy and trouble free builds but i guess you will love the newer Airfix Spit as well but it is much more complex.

Cheers

Bernd

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BerndM said:

Lovely Spitfire and i think you have nailed with your finish including the subtle weathering the look of these aircraft by much.

The Tamiya kits are easy and trouble free builds but i guess you will love the newer Airfix Spit as well but it is much more complex.

Cheers

Bernd

Cheers Bernd,

Glad you like it. My Airfix Mk 1 will be moving up the to do list shortly. Sometimes less complex is good for mojo I know th ed Tamiya kit certainly was.

All the best Greg😎

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

Very pretty Spitfire !

Thanks!

By my reckoning the Mk 1 is the best looking of the breed, and I always preferred the dark earth/green/sky colours on a Spitfire.

Cheers Greg