Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Vb

Hello again,

Here is one of my old builds that i dusted down and took outside for some new shots in the garden. I have to apologise in advance for my lack of photography skills, but hey, you can't have everything!

I built this kit as a nostalgia build some years ago, when my modelling was getting in to a bit of a rut. It took me about six months to complete and was not a shake and bake experience. Many of the parts were warped and the moulds have clearly seen better days. However i persevered and beat it in to submission. I added seat belts in the cockpit, infilled the wheel wells, and added strenthening plates to the cannon on the leading edge of the wings. The whole thing was brush painted for the greys, and i used a rattle can and masking for the green disrupive camo. 

Despite its age and lumpy surface details the Spitfire still looks an imposing model when complete, and is one of my favorites from my collection.

Thanks for looking, and hope you like

Cheers Greg

41463286010_c40f5eec7c_z.jpg

42554550814_36ed569583_z.jpg

28403758567_951554d6ef_z.jpg

43273049221_104824658a_z.jpg

43223956042_829a7d6342_z.jpg

41463317750_e3d8d9ec36_z.jpg

28403733357_4a8ef465b5_z.jpg

28403812387_2779e9914a_z.jpg

• Like 29

Thanks gents for your kind comments.

As you can see from the last photo the beast is a shelf jogger and does take up a lot of space. To build a collection of all the Airfix 1/24 series would look impressive but you would need a lot of display room.

Cheers Greg 

49 minutes ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Very nice build and weathering.

Thank you😁

The aircraft depicted is from 303 Polish Squadron flown by Jan Zumbach. The real aircraft has been well photographed and was shown to be well worn. I didn't go too far with weathering but hopefully did enough to show it as well used.

Cheers Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC

Yowzah! Outstanding work! My very favorite Mk Vb scheme and markings, too! Very realistic weathering and staining so typical of early Spitfires- I am impressed.

Mike

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very nice indeed. Great work Greg.  They do command a great presence when built.  I love the Airfix 24th kits and have this kit to build one day when the man cave is done. 

All the best 

Chris 

54 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Yowzah! Outstanding work! My very favorite Mk Vb scheme and markings, too! Very realistic weathering and staining so typical of early Spitfires- I am impressed.

Mike

Thanks Gents,

Glad you like it 😉

The old Airfix stuff turns out well with a bit of elbow grease!

This one was a moral booster when I finished it, and still occupies a special place in my collection.

Cheers Greg 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Neil.C said:

Very nice Greg. 🙂

I know how huge those kits are having recently finished a 1/24 Trumpeter Spit VB. 

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the kind comments.

I imagine the Trumpeter kit has a  lot imore refined detail than the Airfix oldie. 

In 1/24 scale the Spitfire certainly looks impressive.

Cheers Greg 😮

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 1

Superb job Greg,I would love to do Zumbach's aircraft from the big Airfix kit but just don't have the patience from what I've seen of the mold's.

Now get on with that Stirling!!!!

Edited by stevej60
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

That is a very impressive Spitfire Greg and looks excellent in the sunlight!  :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix 😁

Very kind of you to say so.

I am glad I dusted off the Spit and showed it off again as I have had this one with me for quite a while now.

Cheers Greg

Really good looking Mk Vb from a kit that has its hurdles!

The weathering looks just right from where I'm sitting and the shot through red patches add a great sense of realism.

Excellent work making the ancient kit look so realistic!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Superb job Greg,I would love to do Zumbach's aircraft from the big Airfix kit but just don't have the patience from what I've seen of the mold's.

Now get on with that Stirling!!!!

Hi Steve,

As you conquered the big Matchbox Spitfire I am confident you could master this one. Getting an older issue would be good thou g h as I know what you mean about the moulds on the more recent boxing.

And yes I must get on with the Stirling. A case of too many kits too little time 😨

Cheers Greg

8 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Very nice job on the Spitfire! I think you did a good job on the characteristic staining on the underside.

Regards,

Jason

Cheers Jason,

Thanks for the kind comments.

All the best Greg😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spitfire31 said:

Really good looking Mk Vb from a kit that has its hurdles!

The weathering looks just right from where I'm sitting and the shot through red patches add a great sense of realism.

Excellent work making the ancient kit look so realistic!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you Joachim,

Much appreciated, cheers Greg😁

Beautiful looking Spitfire. I think your photography is just fine, it looks to me like an actual Spitfire has landed in your garden. 

For some reason I don't have a Spit in my stash, this one has always been on the list to buy, I think I might take the plunge now. 

All the best, Martin 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martin Ford said:

Beautiful looking Spitfire. I think your photography is just fine, it looks to me like an actual Spitfire has landed in your garden. 

For some reason I don't have a Spit in my stash, this one has always been on the list to buy, I think I might take the plunge now. 

All the best, Martin 

Thanks Martin,

There are many Spitfire kits out there that will build in to a nice rendition of this iconic fighter. The old Airfix kit is very much a Labour of love to complete. If you want to take it on bearing in mind the moulds date back to 1970 then good on ya!

However if you want to add a modern tool Spitfire that looks the part out of the box then there are many nice kits out there. 

Whatever you decide build a Spitfire you won be disappointed.

Cheers Greg 😊

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Thanks Martin,

There are many Spitfire kits out there that will build in to a nice rendition of this iconic fighter. The old Airfix kit is very much a Labour of love to complete. If you want to take it on bearing in mind the moulds date back to 1970 then good on ya!

However if you want to add a modern tool Spitfire that looks the part out of the box then there are many nice kits out there. 

Whatever you decide build a Spitfire you won be disappointed.

Cheers Greg 😊

Many thanks for the reply Greg. I think it has to be this one. Im a sucker for a big kit, I have the Mossie, Stuka and Hurricane, my stash cupboard is only half full😊 my area to store finished models however is very small. 

All the best, Martin 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Martin Ford said:

Many thanks for the reply Greg. I think it has to be this one. Im a sucker for a big kit, I have the Mossie, Stuka and Hurricane, my stash cupboard is only half full😊 my area to store finished models however is very small. 

All the best, Martin 

Sounds like your mind is made up Martin!

Try and get an older boxing of the kit. It still goes together well with some effort.

Best wishes Greg

• Like 1