Airfix 1/72nd Messerschmitt Bf110C-1

Messerschmitt Bf110C-1 – M8+DH, 1st Staffel, ZG 76, Lt Helmut Lent, Oslo, Norway, 1940

43260960551_334235e182_b.jpg

43260958321_1891ebf7ee_b.jpg

43260918841_8a054cefe5_b.jpg

28391955167_3a31d5db5a_b.jpg

Another Airfix new tool, albeit one now dating from about 2010 or thereabouts. Compared to some of the really new kits, this one was a little basic. Very little cockpit detail, for example. I enhanced it a bit with some PE I had got to super detail an Italeri Zerstörer about 20 years ago. That kit got thrown away as being not worth the effort, although I had hoped I might salvage the multi-part transparencies to fit on this Airfix one. Alas, it was not to be. The "towel rail" antenna under the rear fuselage also came from the PE set.

Painted using Xtracrylics colours. I airbrushed the basic RML65, and a coat of RLM70, but chickened out on masking for the splinter camo and brush painted the RLM71. After a couple of coats of Humbrol Clear, the aftermarket decals went on like a dream, followed by an airbrushed coat of satin varnish. I'm always wary of overdoing weathering, but I applied a fair amount of chipping around the bits where boots scuffed things while climbing in and out of the plane. I just dry-brushed aluminium enamel, old school. I'm yet to attempt any of the modern techniques to replicate chipping effects. 

• Like 18

Looks really nice. I've built one of these a few years ago and it's not a bad kit (especially considering how cheap it is compared to Eduard counterpart )

Cheers

• Like 1

That is an absolutely cracking build of one of my favourite aircraft!  Those ground level shot especially really look the part, very well done.  I'm mainly a 1/32 scale modeller these days, just finishing a Cyberhobby/Dragon 110E night fighter and about to start a G4 - I hope they look as good as your 1/72nd one when finished!

Max

• Like 1