GWH - Focke-Wulf FE189 - flying greenhouse

LLUSm58.jpg

Just getting started on this. It's a rather beautiful looking kit. With some rather strange assembly stages / steps. I plan to make this as a pretty beaten-up, hastily winterised 'plane. I will be using the hairspray technique for that, and doing my best not to go overboard with the chipping. It will be an exercise in restraint - I hope. 

But that's all a fair way off for now... 

As usual - first steps are the cockpit. The plastic looks nice, and there's a good amount of detail in the pit, but I added a few little bits in to liven it up. Mainly some wiring from inside an old landline phone wire and a wing spar across the floor. I also added in some flares. Spar and flares were made from Slater's plasticard. 

sMo7xBj.jpg

That was all primed with Citadel rattle can grey, then sprayed with Tamiya rattle can gunship grey. The grey is very dark, so I went in on the drybrushing with varying shades of Valejo greys. I also sponged on some paler greys in areas of likely wear and tear. 

Then picked out some details before an oil wash of black and brown. The floor matt (for want of better term) was brush painted Valejo leather brown, then dry brushed with a white/brown mixture to break it up a bit. 

CgYQzVK.jpg

1jjFBSA.jpg

MJh2SsS.jpg

Next up is the extra ammo which festoons the walls. I plan to cut off the moulder straps, and replace with rolled flat solder. And of course the seat belts. 

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 9

On 7/8/2018 at 12:43 PM, greggles.w said:

Looking very good so far!  Intriguing machine, without being quite so eccentric as the similarly purposed BV-141.

Thanks so much! 

I did have a crack at a BV-141, a very very odd plane... The kit was rather nice though, in case you wanted a go! 

Thanks all for the encouragement! A new job means I am moving at a snail's pace compared to my progress of old. 

I got round to cutting the handles (?) off the extra magazines, and replacing them will thin solder I rolled flat. Actually, while on most kits I would do this, on this one it wasn't really necessary as the moulded mags were very nicely detailed, but why not make things as hard as possible hey? I also added some wiring to the control column, with superglue and thin strips of tape. 

IcnX8Lr.jpg

keO9rfS.jpg

Those were then attached to the cockpit walls. And all the lumpy bits were attached to the floor. The pilot's seat was, strangely, difficult to get to sit right - I ended up cutting off the locating tab on the floor. 

eOSUWyg.jpg

I cut off whatever this lump is on the floor and replaced with the clear part as per the instructions... But am having a hard time finding images of this part on a real aircraft... Should it be left totally clear? 

RKd3cpC.jpg

This is now ready for joining together!

wBZsD9f.jpg

WeyEtFF.jpg

76nojjz.jpgUHOUEQ4.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

Bruce

• Like 11

Oh, nice !

I've got the GWH Fw189-A1 slowly rising to the top of the stash, so I'll be watching this closely.

Dunno what the differences are - not many, probably, but I'd be grateful,Bruce, if you'll point out any greeblies thrown up by the kit, for my education and edification.

Good luck with the build.

Rog

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 11:11 AM, Biggles87 said:

Nice work so far, good to see something "exotic  " being built. I keep looking at mine in it's box, then putting it away so I'll watch you're if I may.

John

On 7/14/2018 at 12:01 PM, roginoz said:

Oh, nice !

I've got the GWH Fw189-A1 slowly rising to the top of the stash, so I'll be watching this closely.

Dunno what the differences are - not many, probably, but I'd be grateful,Bruce, if you'll point out any greeblies thrown up by the kit, for my education and edification.

Good luck with the build.

Rog

Thanks both! So far the kit is rather nice. There are some slightly unusual build steps regarding the booms and so on, but I suppose it's a rather unusual aircraft! 

I will update with anything that comes up. 

best,

Bruce

• Like 1

Not a lot of forward movement this week. But a few snatched moments allowed me to get the fuselage halves joined up for starters. They went together nicely - but I had to open up the locator pin hole in the cockpit roof... Not sure if this is a kit thing, or because there was a bit of paint on the pin. Likely the latter. There was only a little milliput needed to smooth things out. 

LnB8CGy.jpg

I also masked the nose. 80% of the panels are deeply recessed and one can mask them easily by tamping down tape with a toothpick. However - the other 20% are very softly defined, and had to be done more by eye. 

ST1iGPI.jpg

I added some detail to the back of the instrument panel. Punched some disks of Slater's card, then ran some think solder out of them down the side of the cockpit. Not to scale, but gives a bit of detail in there, and it should be mostly hidden once the paint's on the glazed parts. 

Cv1XRfR.jpg

cf9bbHj.jpg

Similarly - some of the smaller glazed parts are very very finely recessed - which I imagine is more to scale, but made masking trickier. I had to measure and pre cut for some of the window parts. 

qD9frMH.jpg

The rear cockpit section is by the look of it a very nice fit! Next up - temporarily gluing down all of the clear parts for the duration of the build. Likely using PVA. 

YcF6I4y.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 8

Are you using the kit masks, Bruce, or making your own ?

I've had mixed results from kit masks, but yours look very good indeed.

Since you've passed no comment on them, I'm hoping they are as good as they look.

Great progress so far !

Cheers.........Rog

• Like 1

21 hours ago, roginoz said:

Are you using the kit masks, Bruce, or making your own ?

I've had mixed results from kit masks, but yours look very good indeed.

Since you've passed no comment on them, I'm hoping they are as good as they look.

Great progress so far !

Cheers.........Rog

Dear Rog,

No. I decided to make my own actually - GWH masks when I last used them (on a Devastator) peeled up at the edges, and were a bit rounded at sharp angles. So I made my own with a sheet of Tamiya tape! 

You had me at:

On 7/8/2018 at 10:40 AM, bruce bay said:

hastily winterised

Thoroughly enjoying your work on this BB. Excellent colour work and detail on that interior.

That glazing/masking looks to be a particular test of character!

Tony

27 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

You had me at:

Thoroughly enjoying your work on this BB. Excellent colour work and detail on that interior.

That glazing/masking looks to be a particular test of character!

Tony

Thanks Tony! I must say  -  the winterizing feels a damn long way off right now! 

• Like 1

A little update again. Doing the nicely self contained sub-assemblies where I can. The engines are nicely detailed out of the box, at least by the standards of what I would expect. I primed them black, then dry brushed with Vallejo alumminium, quite heavily. Exhausts were painted with a mixture of Vallejo's leather brown and red. I popped some totally incorrect serials on there for a bit of excitement...

5ChsQFt.jpg

zS7o68V.jpg

...then realised that the 'arms' holding the engines cover them almost completely. Oh well. 

6xO3Wiq.jpg

A brown oil wash finished them off. Not sure which engine I will leave exposed, or maybe both, so did the full works on both. 

Next up was the landing gear. The first real frustration of the kit. The parts look lovely, and have great detail, nice and clean. But that mating surfaces are almost non-existant, and the pin / hole mating points are so shallow as to offer next to no purchase. It's a case of holding the parts together until essentially very small flat parts hold with glue. I have serious doubts these will hold up the kit when it's finished.... ANYWAY: 

Wheels were sanded and primed black. Then I painted the hubs green before masking them off and dry brushing the tyres from the centre outward - first with Vallejo black-grey, then with a very little neutral grey. I then reversed the masks, and dry brushed the green hubs with a paler shade of the same green (forgot which) mixed with white. 

pNmQQgu.jpg

P8hylBa.jpg

eb6RAq7.jpg

And finally - I sprayed clear parts with Tamiya gunship grey to match the cockpit, before a layer of green rattle can primer went on. I am now just hoping the masks stay stuck until the next stage! 

Thanks for looking! 

Bruce

• Like 5

On 7/25/2018 at 1:36 PM, greggles.w said:

Detailing looking very good.

On 7/25/2018 at 4:07 PM, Azgaron said:

Nice looking engines, gears and fuselage! :)

Håkan

Thanks both, that was the easy bit - at least for me.... More scared of big pieces! 

• Like 1