Republic Razorback Tamiya

Valkyrie

Ok, D Day is for Deadline Day, speaking of which I have doubled up on my invasion stripe thickness thanks again for the tip CFFUncle!!

I only have the rest of today to complete so this morning after increasing said stripe size I also tamiya rattle canned medium grey on the underside. Absolutely love this paint, needs a good long shake but it goes on so well

44821115411_d52647906a_b.jpg

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 3

I’m probably only going to get one coat of olive drab II again tamiya Rattle can. Not bad for a first pass. Few tiny under spray patches but it might help with a quick weathered look. Off to shops and wash car, should be dry enough to work on it this evening

30952297278_1b2149e8a7_b.jpg

• Like 5

First coat of black, might only require 1 more as I’d like a faded weathered job, brush painting now. Hopefully varnish on top tomorrow morning then decals tomorrow afternoon or evening then final assemblies and see where we are

43116988360_3231fbae4f_b.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice. One question though, why have you done the painting without the lower wing inserts ( compressibility flaps, or not ) fitted? Surely it's easier to fit them before painting, especially with invasion strips?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Very nice. One question though, why have you done the painting without the lower wing inserts ( compressibility flaps, or not ) fitted? Surely it's easier to fit them before painting, especially with invasion strips?

Ah, well I had no instructions in the kit and only found them online recently, I did wonder about the gaps, I will need to free hand them once I find the pieces and attach. Il do that today, thanks for the heads up

• Like 1

Thanks Plastix and CFFUncle, such a nice kit and rushing a touch to the deadline, but if it’s still looking good to you I’m happy. Hope to get a full days run at it today so can take me time and concentrate on neatness

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Ah, well I had no instructions in the kit and only found them online recently, I did wonder about the gaps, I will need to free hand them once I find the pieces and attach. Il do that today, thanks for the heads up

You should have asked and I could have scanned you a copy, but at least you have some now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Lovley valk, good job 

Thanks Hewy!! Got nav lights done, I wasn’t sure whether I needed to put a touch of silver under the clear red and green paint as I’d never had a clear part nav light before, opted to go without and think it’s alright? So that’s prob the big painting done, let it dry then a varnish whilst building and painting small parts to stick on on Sunday most likely.

Does anyone know what wheel hubs I should be using for this, seems to be two types in the kit....

43140297960_59f6420d2e_b.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Thanks Hewy!! Got nav lights done, I wasn’t sure whether I needed to put a touch of silver under the clear red and green paint as I’d never had a clear part nav light before, opted to go without and think it’s alright? So that’s prob the big painting done, let it dry then a varnish whilst building and painting small parts to stick on on Sunday most likely.

Does anyone know what wheel hubs I should be using for this, seems to be two types in the kit....

Squirt II had the covers fitted on the wheels, at the time these photos were taken anyway.

Squirt_II_b.jpg

Squirt_II.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2018 at 10:32 PM, Tbolt said:

Squirt II had the covers fitted on the wheels, at the time these photos were taken anyway.

Squirt_II_b.jpg

Squirt_II.jpg

WOW thanks TBolt!!!! Never thought there were real pics of her, this fabulous thanks very much! I like the damage on the cowling, I know how I could have done that as well, lots of glue inside the cowling at that bit. 

• Like 1

Start on the decals, I wasn’t going to bother but been encouraged to get her finished. Some weathering for an accurate look will be needed looking at those cracking pics from Tbolt and also some decal cutting 

44075320105_fa6fbe8be3_b.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Decalling a bit of a disaster and can’t get 2 canopy mask sections off the front and rear top,

30052203397_b2990a9cab_b.jpg

Hi valkyrie, you could try using white spirit to remove the masks, I've used it to remove resadue left behind from masks left on too long. Nick

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have used a cocktail stick which I have 'chewed' the end of to soften it, to remove stubborn masking and adhesive before also dipped it in some Isopropanol Alcohol. the cocktail stick is firm enough to move the problem areas but not so aggressive as to damage the plastic or Klear surface.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1