Airfix 1/72nd Messerschmitt Bf109E-3

Messerschmitt Bf109E-3 – III./JG 51, France 1940. Oblt Werner Pichon-Kalau Von Hofe.

43260963021_95d3d270a4_b.jpg

43260965281_9c4472ba28_b.jpg

43260917981_b164b20d11_b.jpg

28391954537_fe97ac3fb7_b.jpg

43260917251_f08d3af728_b.jpg

Another lovely little kit from Airfix. When I was beginning to acquire various kits for my 1940 obsession, I realised I could save myself some time and money by purchasing the boxed set Airfix released for the Battle of Britain 75th anniversary. It contained an He111, Spitfire, Hurricane and the Emil. As far as I could make out, they were all new tools, too. The paints went into a drawer, though. 😉

The model went together well. I lost the gunsight, and the windscreen transparency had been slightly short shot. I filled the small hole near the base with some PVA. I wasn't going to lose any sleep over it. I did destroy the infinitesimally small aileron balance weights, but you don't know that. Having opted to "lose" the box set paints, I had to check my research materials for the proper colours for the camouflage. Xtracrylics were used throughout, airbrushed, aside from some details like tyres and cockpit interior where I brushed Humbrol enamels. It was enormous fun - not! - masking up this little model. It's always a nail-biter when removing masking tape as it reveals where bleed, or worse paint is lifted off. Happily, I got away with a relatively clean job. The kit decals were used, which went on quite well, despite being from the same sheet as the ghastly Spitfire ones that I didn't get on with at all. 

I know have three Emils in my collection. Two older ones were constructed many years ago from Academy kits and were destined for a dispersal diorama I have yet to make! Of the three, I think this Airfix one is my preferred choice. The temptation now is to buy many more so I can cover the Heinz 57 varieties of Luftwaffe colours and markings of the Battle of Britain period!

• Like 36

What they said! Lovely build of a great little kit. REALLY like the splinter AND the photography; I assume you're using a proper camera rather than the pathetic smartphone efforts I take (but haven't had the nerve to post)? Thanks for sharing.

Great build, beautifully painted and photographed!

I too have built the Academy kit in this scale.

Looking forward to getting my Airfix version out of the stash sometime -and I have an ICM kit too - can't have too many Emils eh?

:goodjob:

7 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

I assume you're using a proper camera rather than the pathetic smartphone efforts I take

Actually, no. I used my iPad. I do use my "proper" camera occasionally, but working with a tripod and all the gubbins often just gets in the way.

I should take take a picture of the setup, really. It’s painfully simple! The grass mat is glued to some foam board; another sheet of foamboard is at the back, propped against one of my bench lamps; the scenery is clipped to the back board. My bench lamps are cheap anglepoise knockoffs with bright LED bulbs in. I used some tracing paper to diffuse the light a little.

i think the secret, really, is good light. Most tablets and smartphones can take pretty good images, if you don’t mind working within their limitations. For example, I never zoom in, I just move the camera closer. You’d be surprised at how good a closeup, almost macro, image you can take with sufficient illumination.

9 minutes ago, DennisTheBear said:

Really enjoying your 1940s collection Heather! All well built and well painted, and well chosen.

DennisTheBear

Thanks Dennis! :D 

There are about 20 unbuilt kits to go, and I keep finding more to add. I’m looking forward to starting build threads on them.

A fine finish @Heather Kay, did one myself as an experiment in weathering and freehand camo. I note that you abandoned the silly fragile aileron balances , mine disintegrated on removal and I had some spares from a Tamiya. BTW what paint are you using? And also touch up the paint chips, looks like some jack booted pilot and armourers  have been walking all over this plane....:P

Anil

7 hours ago, azureglo said:

A fine finish @Heather Kay, did one myself as an experiment in weathering and freehand camo. I note that you abandoned the silly fragile aileron balances , mine disintegrated on removal and I had some spares from a Tamiya. BTW what paint are you using? And also touch up the paint chips, looks like some jack booted pilot and armourers  have been walking all over this plane....:P

Anil

Thanks Anil!

I used Xtracrylix - I can never recall how to spell the brand properly! - through. The aileron horn balances survived quite a while, but were destroyed by removing the masking tape. I couldn’t be bothered to replace them.

Clumsy ground crew? I thought I had been quite restrained in the weathering on this one! ;)