1/48 Churchill MkVII A tale of two tanks.

I bought my first kit on a whim as I'm not very knowledgable about British tanks.  Knowing that the Tamiya kits are a good, solid quick build I bashed the first one out in a fortnight. 

Churchill%2007-XL.jpg

Churchill%2008-XL.jpg

Straight out of the box I thought it came out pretty well.  In fact I think it would make an excellent first kit for anyone vaguely interested in trying out 1/48 scale armour.  The added bonus of being able to build a Crocodile Flame thrower is nice too.

I liked the kit so much I picked up a second to see if I could do a bit more to tart it up.  I wanted to try and remove the upper fenders as seen in some wartime pictures.  This required that I copy the lower run of track in resin and then cut some bits from the upper hull and add some styrene supports to the sponsons.  I've done a bit more sprucing up as well but nothing too fancy.  Here is where I'm at after a fortnights toil.

Churchill%2014-XL.jpg

Churchill%2013-XL.jpg

Churchill%2015-XL.jpg

So about the same time in and I would recon another fortnight to finish her.  No all that sure I should just stick with OOB.  But I will say that I have thoroughly enjoyed both kits and I'm thinking of getting a third to back date to an earlier Mark.  

Thanks for dropping in for a look.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 16

Good work Dan. Did I understand you correctly that you cast your own track section in resin? Could you tell us a bit about how you went about that, where you got the resin from etc. Sounds a potentially useful trick to know! 

Your first Churchill above looks superb and I like what you have done so far with the second one. Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix 

I've worked on a resin base by Black Dog and I'm about ready for paint.

Progress;

Black%20Dog%20Ruin%2010-X2.jpg

Black%20Dog%20Ruin%2011-X2.jpg

Black%20Dog%20Ruin%2012-X2.jpg

Black%20Dog%20Ruin%2013-X2.jpg

So far a fun quick project.  Getting to the good part, painting 

Clive- I did nothing fancy just made an open face mould, plenty of good tutorials on line, and used materials from a local artist supply shop. (Pinkysil silicon rubber and Easycast for the resin)

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 7

That's a fantastic Churchill. I really like the subtle variations in the greens. Lovely weathering. And I have to say that resin building is absolutely stunning in design and detail. A perfect set peice of a diorama. Now, if I were you I'd definitely be making moulds of that to make copies!

Your second Churchill is coming along nicely as well.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

Progress - A bit of colour.

Black%20Dog%20Ruin%2016-X2.jpg

Black%20Dog%20Ruin%2017-X2.jpg

Black%20Dog%20Ruin%2018-X2.jpg

Black%20Dog%20Ruin%2019-X2.jpg

Nice to be getting on with the base.  Just some bits of rubble and muck then I can get to painting the Churchill.  I don't know about figures yet but we will see what I can come up with.

I hope you like the look so far.  Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 3