Matchbox 1/72nd Gloster Gladiator MkI

Gloster Gladiator MkII – N2304 KW•R, No 615 (County of Surrey) Squadron, “Churchill’s Own”; Inglevert, France, April 1940. Part of the Air Component of the British Expeditionary Force.

43211982732_275200c08f_b.jpg

43211983222_9e396188c1_b.jpg

43211983652_da43e123a4_b.jpg

The Matchbox kits, for their time and in my opinion, were leading the pack to a large degree. I picked this kit up at a show in the 1990s, and built it when I was getting bored with something I was supposed to be building for a client. I found a reference photo of this plane in France, and decided it would make an interesting subject. The countershaded camouflage, black and white undersurfaces, and markings that were beginning to coalesce into the more familiar forms of later in 1940 appealed. I also wanted to try my hand at rigging, for which I used fine tinned copper wire, dividers and a straight edge. It was more or less acceptable, and certainly good enough to please me, which is the main reason I model aircraft.

The model was brush painted with Humbrol enamels. The markings were cobbled together from various sources. I hadn't quite learned the secret of glossy finishes to try and avoid silvering, so it's a bit obvious in places. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Looks good. I'm a big fan of Matchbox kits. Is this one you built a while ago?

I must have built it some time ago, probably seven or eight years now. I’ve learned a few new wrinkles since then, so hopefully my builds are getting better, too.