Photo’s of the 1st Infantry Division Museum Armor

Hello Everybody ... Im normally an Airplane guy but I had a chance to go to a Museum here in Chicago today. Well actually the Suburbs in Wheaton. Its called Cantigny after the place in France. Its the private estate of Col. Robert  McCormick who commanded a portion of the 1st Infantry Division ( Big Red One) in WW1.

He built an entire museum devoted to the 1st Inf. Div. There are about 15 tanks ranging from WW1 to the modern M1 Abrams in the tank park. I photographed everything and am placing it here for anyone and everyone that might possibly need or have use of the imagery. @Julien may use these for the walk around section if he pleases. There are 50 photos spread across the whole lot. I apologize in advance as i only have the cell camera. My 35mm still needs a special battery. The tank park also has a lot of children crawling all over tanks so try to ignore them. I cropped as much of them out as possible. 

We start with the M1917 tank. 

jyMtATa.jpg

GyA8nLF.jpg

Dw6TKce.jpg

Z0eVaqo.jpg

CstQGSX.jpg

I apologize but i think this is a St. Chamond type please correct me if im wrong. Its hard to tell from the photo’s but the museum visitor is standing in a replica of a WW1 trench here. The St. Chamond is actually about 10’ feet higher than the trench depth. So you are looking up at it. I imagine its on a framework behind the trench wall to support it.  

Tqvjsfh.jpg

LTNPmi2.jpg

M4 Sherman

ikA6LzN.jpg

M5 Stuart

mUQiicK.jpg

DDzyrgU.jpg

F2OcV9T.jpg

W8Vu3yk.jpg

4ZmU8GT.jpg

M24 Chaffee

j1vN40s.jpg

aPJDUdj.jpg

zOaLJXN.jpg

MxOFaXj.jpg

DzMPMWx.jpg

T26E4

WtWK2eG.jpg

Z7Ofifq.jpg

ScdwhFG.jpg

0xsPFq3.jpg

7wwqoSE.jpg

M46

teErrmj.jpg

ydlz8fY.jpg

4r34F9k.jpg

6IrnD51.jpg

M41 Walker Bulldog

ZMbN4ZL.jpg

bATy8LP.jpg

TldgbbW.jpg

caOPZbs.jpg

lkIS2Sj.jpg

M47 Patton

vua2kMf.jpg

kHR5fKV.jpg

hhSFDnQ.jpg

Zl4HKVm.jpg

M48 Patton

4Smk8bx.jpg

H6FSSJS.jpg

Eg31TKT.jpg

M551 Sheridan

S0ILd4b.jpg

PQGpEqT.jpg

CmmpBHH.jpg

M113

BTxC9T2.jpg

Mp0biBg.jpg

M60 Patton

Hf6fPKf.jpg

oPpofKv.jpg

wSGz3um.jpg

M1 Abrams

NAIexOv.jpg

bn91XvA.jpg

LpjO9zg.jpg

I truly hope this helps anyone please have a great day. Feel free to ask questions, leave comments, or tell jokes.

Dennis Brown

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

As a responsible father it is your duty to ensure young Winston encounters tanks as soon as humanly possible.....It's a crucial part of a boys development.  :D

I've tried several times so far, but he currently regards them as a less interesting form of tractor.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Have you explained about their guns yet?  :wicked:

As yet he doesn't know anything about guns, but we live in the USA, so one way or another, he'll learn.

• Sad 1

Hey guys ☹️ @Sgt.Squarehead & @Procopius I just put the photo’s on to help any/everyone. I didn't want to start a gun debate. Please leave that alone as I consider you both good acquaintances if not friends here on the forum. Id rather not see a fight start over this. 

Dennis

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PC and I.....Fighting?  :o

Pretty confident that ain't gonna happen.  ;)

It's true, I have very weak arms.

• Haha 2

• 6 months later...

A great collection of images. Thanks for sharing with us. 

I'm a little suprised that the Museum let's folk climb all over the tanks - the potential for accidents and subsequent litigation seems very high. 

Cheers.

Chris.  

3 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

the potential for accidents and subsequent litigation seems very high. 

I do agree with that as a member of my own family got hurt bad sliding down the glacis of one of these tanks 30 years ago. The ground around these tanks is cushioned to a depth of 6-8 inches. They use the same recycled chewed up tires taken from cars, much like every playground here in the states are using ? Im sure people do fall off but for some reason, as far as im aware the museum has never been sued. Maybe its understood that its a climb at your own risk situation ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

I'm glad that no-one has ever sued the museum. In my (very) humble opinion, if parents are happy to allow their kids to clamber all over the exhibits, then they should also take responsibility for any accidents that may occur. 

Chris. 

• Like 3