Infanterie-Kampfpanzer III "Valentine" 749 (e) - captured Valentine tank

JackG

The  model for this subject will be AFV Club  Valentine MK.III in 1/35 scale:

256342-10244-94-pristine.jpg

The kit already has a metal barrel included and a small fret of PE, but will add some aftermarket workable tracks from Bronco.  They should be easy as the links are single pieces that snap together.

798px-Pz_Kpfw_Valentine.JPG

The history of this captured vehicle is quite interesting.  It originally landed during Operation Torch with 17/21st Lancers, part of 26th Armoured Brigade.  It was abandoned during the fighting around Tebourba in late 1942, whereupon the Germans acquired it.  During the Kasserine Pass battles, it was used as the lead tank in a night attack on the British, where it was finally knocked out on the 24th of February 1943. 

The Bison motif was a symbol of the 7th Panzer Regiment of 10.Panzer Division - the latter marking can also faintly be seen to the left of the opened driver's visor in the form of an upright 'Y' and three vertical bars.

regards,

Jack

• Like 3

Welcome to the GB !

A very interesting subject, as someone who only knows a little about tanks, I was familiar with the use of British captured tanks by the Germans during WW1, but didn't know about the use of such catptured equipment in WW2. How did the Germans rate the Valentine ? Guess highely enough if they used the type in their units

• Like 1

Hello Giorgio, thanks for the welcome.

I have not read any observations from the German point of view on the Valentine, but given the shortage situation in the desert, any vehicle in running condition was better than nothing.   Certainly they must have appreciated the same qualities as the Russians did with their lend lease Valentines - small, reliable and well armoured.   The Beutepanzer site has a good array of photos showing captured vehicles of this type:

http://beutepanzer.ru/Beutepanzer/uk/A_valentine/valentine_1.html

The particular Valentine I will be modelling here, the Germans must have specifically chosen it as the lead tank to act as a ruse while infiltrating enemy lines. This deception did work, and it was only when the tanks opened fire that the British infantry realized what was happening.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 2:46 PM, JackG said:

chosen it as the lead tank to act as a ruse while infiltrating enemy lines. This deception did work, and it was only when the tanks opened fire that the British infantry realized what was happening.

regards,

Jack

Looking forward to this one Jack,...... famously the Italian`s mounted a similar style of raid using a captured Cruiser tank early in the desert war too.

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still deep in the construction phase, but so far 94 kit parts, and completed steps 1 through 9, out of 40 total.  Lot of detail parts on the rear half.  Reviews appear to be positive about these AVF Club Valentine kits, though I did see a forum post stating that these were finicky builds.  I would have to agree, there are parts that mate onto flat surfaces and have some play in their location.  So sometimes test fitting with further parts, or skipping ahead and then going back helps determine exact positions.

43524333662_ecc0b18d5b_b.jpg

There is a specific build review of this particular kit, and it points out some errors on the instructions, so good to have this:

http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/afv-valentine-mkiii-wrotatrailer

In the above work photo, there are four brackets glued to the corners of the center hull roof.  Instruction have you drill out locations holes, but this won't give accurate placement., particularly as the two forward brackets have a notch in them to accommodate bolt heads on the roof.  So  drilled holes were filled in with white plastic rod and sanded smooth.

43570873061_0227fb69e9_b.jpg

The only other significant hiccup was the bottom hull plate at either end.  I found them to be oversize and would overlap instead of being flush with the vertical plates.  A little sanding fixed that.

42665837395_0a05ea633c_b.jpg

Before closing up the driver compartment, I did paint up a spare head so there is something behind the opened visor.  

regards,

Jack

• Like 2