Airfix 1/72nd Hawker Hurricane MkI

Hawker Hurricane MkI – N3522, US•P, No 56 Squadron, North Weald, June 1940

42357273545_869de0c1fa_b.jpg

42357273825_4b4bc9359a_b.jpg

28391965257_6b71c02809_b.jpg

28391965747_312a30072e_b.jpg

Knowing the current Airfix Hurricane MkI tooling is for the fabric winged plane, I tried to find an example in my decal sets of a likely early plane in 1940. I also chose N3522 - I can't verify if the actual aircraft had fabric wings, but what can you do? - as the camouflage colours included an early iteration of the sky blue undersides. From my reading on the subject, it wasn't very far off the Luftwaffe RLM65, so that's what I used. It makes a nice contrast from my Defiant and Spitfire, both of which have orthodox Sky undersurfaces. Painting was airbrush with Xtracrylics.

The Airfix kit is very detailed, perhaps overly so for this scale. All the cockpit detailing is lost once the canopy goes on, but that's pretty much the way of things these days. I know it's in there, at least. I added the stirrup step from an Eduard PE set for the Hurricane I bought many years ago to detail the older 1970s kits. I've still got two of those in my stash, and they might end up being built just for fun! I might even build them - gasp! - wheels up and in flight. :wink:

• Like 23

Oh, great! If I ever finish my Hurc, I won't be able to post pics of it because it will be compared to your fine build.

Maybe I'll just take up scrapbooking.

Chris

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Oh, great! If I ever finish my Hurc, I won't be able to post pics of it because it will be compared to your fine build.

Maybe I'll just take up scrapbooking.

Scrapbooking is a fine hobby. ;) I’d still like to see your Hurri. While it’s nice to receive praise for my builds, it’s also nice to give the same for others. It’s not a competition, after all. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Hawker Hurricane MkI – N3522, I might even build them - gasp! - wheels up and in flight. :wink:

Gasp! GASP! Is that all you can say at such heresy. Bite your tongue!

Nice Hurricane, but to whit. Well done i both painting and building.

I hope that when I get around to my new tool Hurri that I can make it look even half as good.

DennisTheBear